• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

robotosan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Well, it's no fruit punch, I'll give you that.

true, I was too lazy to walk in the cold towards the packie for a 40 of Colt 45.

But real talk, I haven't had a canadian whiskey that was worth a damn... they always come short for some reason. I have yet to have a problem with bourbon or scotch.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robotosan
But real talk, I haven't had a canadian whiskey that was worth a damn... they always come short for some reason. I have yet to have a problem with bourbon or scotch.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Given I have about 50 different bottlings...

Some of my current favs:

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01054.jpg

DSC00832.jpg

DSC00685.jpg

DSC00686.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

Anymore questions?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
hows the kirkland signature?

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I have the same bottle and it's
drool.gif

Agreed. It's Macallan 18 y/o sherry cask aged. Was only $90 or so, basically a steal.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hows the kirkland signature?
Spectacular, I have 3 bottles currently. Definitely auto-kop when it's on the shelves.
true, I was too lazy to walk in the cold towards the packie for a 40 of Colt 45. But real talk, I haven't had a canadian whiskey that was worth a damn... they always come short for some reason. I have yet to have a problem with bourbon or scotch.
Most people don't like Canadian due to the bitterness from the rye, I quite enjoy it. While most Canadian is banal garbage, there are some hidden treats. I like Centennial as well as Alberta Springs and Alberta Premium. I still prefer the Wiser's 18 and find it better than Crown Cask 16. Wiser's 18 does take some time to open up, usually adding an ice cube or some branch water will help that process, but I quite enjoy its flavors, it's almost a dessert. Its palate is basically as Canadian as you can get without having a few teeth missing, a "toque," too much plaid and/or denim, and an irrational appreciation towards Tim Hortons. I can't speak as to why you didn't appreciate it, perhaps the problem was with your palate...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Wiser's 18 does take some time to open up, usually adding an ice cube or some branch water will help that process, but I quite enjoy its flavors. Its palate is basically as Canadian as you can get without having a few teeth missing, a "toque," too much plaid and/or denim, and an irrational appreciation towards Tim Hortons.
Hey now. You just described everyone I ever met until I was about 18. CC Sherry cask aged is another very good, inexpensive whisky. Personally, I find Canadians are the perfect whisky for manhattans. Speaking of which, really reeling it in tonight. About half my bottle of CC sherry cask aged after my Sauvignon Blanc for dinner.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Highland Park 18
Oban 14
Bruichladdich 18
Lagavulin 16

Happy early Robbie Burns day.

robotosan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Spectacular, I have 3 bottles currently. Definitely auto-kop when it's on the shelves.

Most people don't like Canadian due to the bitterness from the rye, I quite enjoy it. While most Canadian is banal garbage, there are some hidden treats. I like Centennial as well as Alberta Springs and Alberta Premium. I still prefer the Wiser's 18 and find it better than Crown Cask 16.

Wiser's 18 does take some time to open up, usually adding an ice cube or some branch water will help that process, but I quite enjoy its flavors, it's almost a dessert. Its palate is basically as Canadian as you can get without having a few teeth missing, a "toque," too much plaid and/or denim, and an irrational appreciation towards Tim Hortons.

I can't speak as to why you didn't appreciate it, perhaps the problem was with your palate...

I'll have to have my buddy make a Costco stop when he comes by.

I'm not sure why I really didn't appreciate it, but I've never been truely satisfied with Canadian whiskey. Wiser's was horrible per se but something felt missing that kept it from being great. Im not sure what it is with my palate. At the moment I'm enjoying Jim Bean Black.

Oh, GOD! Tim Hortons is not coffee, its more like liquid crack, all you need is a lil bit more sugar.

chet31

Reaction score
In constant search of the perfect martini, which means denying myself the tried & true and experimenting ... but I sacrifice.

Martini 1:

3 dashes Fee Bros orange bitters
1/2 oz. Lillet Blanc
3 oz. Yahara Bay gin

Conclusion: I had to try the local distiller (Madison WI), but not liking the local gin. This is why I "hid" it w/ more than usual bitters. Also went w/ the Lillet Blanc rather than vermouth. A good try, I could live with it, but poured it out halfway through.

Martini 2:

1 dash Angostura bitters
1/4 oz. Martini & Rossi vermouth (extra dry)
3 oz. New Amsterdam gin

Conclusion: Much better, New Amsterdam is acceptable, but won't be stocking it in the future. Poured it out halfway through.

Martini 3:

3 drops Angostura bitters
1/4 oz. M&R vermouth
3 oz. Hendrick's

Conclusion: Hendrick's has a unique flavor (which I assume is cucumbers & rose petals), and wins taste tests, and although I like it, I just don't love it. For better or worse, I prefer the stronger juniper of Tanq, Junipero, etc.

Soccer @ 7A, better quit now ...

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Actually drank alcohol tonight. Miraculous, I know. Had:

Bell's 2 Hearted Ale - this was on tap. Nice and smooth, not too hoppy, and a very crisp finish.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale - This is heaven in a bottle. Seriously. Any beer lover worth his salt should stockpile this ****. So so tasty.

DC101

Reaction score
Manhattan:

Bulleit Bourbon
Carpano Antica Vermouth (best I've ever had!)
Dash of Bitters

Sterling SVR 2005

Homemade Limoncello

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads