• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just finished a 20 day water fast

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
lol I just finished a 4 day water fast, really for no reason. I'm 6 foot and weigh 155. I was never hungry and I only started eating because a new restAurant opened in town. I still ran my 6+ miles a day and did pushups/sit-ups every day. Lost 4 pounds and look way more cut. I'll eat lean
meat/ veggies and work out more than usual so I don't gain too much fat. I'll post more tomorrow about how addictive it is

You probably just lost a ton of glycogen and are retaining less water. I more or less fasted for a week when I was taking corticosteroids, and looked incredibly cut up afterwards. A week later, back to normal, minus a few pounds anyway.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Octoberfile
deadhorse-a.gif

Why the hell did you edit that out? It was perfect
frown.gif

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I would imagine it was non existent. Nothing in = nothing out.

Actually you excrete a lot of dead cells, etc.

Zanth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cold war painter
You write clearly and I appreciate some of your points, but where are you going to publish your non-randomised non-controlled study with two subjects in two different treatment arms? Am J Anecdotal Cardiol.?

I won't be publishing it as a randomized clinical trial study, but in a letters section which is customary for these types of experiments. Some of the most interesting one off studies are found in various letters sections, particularly that of many physics journals.

As for my digestive tract, I flushed with salt water a few times. This was suggested to me. It was disgusting and awful and I couldn't continue with this so I simply took herbal laxatives 3x/week the night before I had some time in the morning to stick around the house. It is true that, despite not eating, I had stuff on the exit. I didn't go so far as to lab test this stuff, though I assume others have at some point (pubmed for those who are interested). It was likely residual waste build up within the intestines as well as waste products (cellular matter from fat breakdown and muscle breakdown).

I don't really have much else to add. As others have commented, after a few days, hunger pangs are pretty much non-existant (though 6 miles/day running would have killed me personally) unless one works out (or at least that is how I felt).

I like the way my body responds and how I end up feeling for a time, but this has been easily reproduced by maintaining a very low sodium diet, increasing my protein intake and compensating with a lot of water . If I increase my carbs (particularly simple ones, white rice, any bread, potatoes (which I love), etc) then and increase dairy beyond skim or 2% in coffee (so cheese or yogurt) I start to feel as if I'm retaining more fluids than I would prefer and various other sensations I'm not fond of.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've fasted for 10-15 days on several occasions, though it was many years ago (early 90s). It can be done. Some of the sensations are unpleasant, others are somewhat euphoric. I recall needing a lot less sleep in the latter stages of a long fast.

olualbert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by feabt6
Let's be serious - every bit of Eastern & Western science (and emprical evidence) has proven that humans are able to survive for weeks at a time without food, that shouldn't be surprising.

What IS surprising is that the anyone who does something like this claims to "do their research" - clearly you hadn't, because what you consider euphoria is actually a series of chemical reactions as your body goes into starvation/survival mode. True, your body may expel some of the "toxins" it had in it, but it is doing that solely as a fight or flight response. A better idea would be a raw food diet to let the body heal itself naturally.

Saying Americans are fat, lazy, and obese is one thing, and definitely true, however using that argument as justification for essentially starving yourself for 3 weeks is somewhere south of stupid.

Spot on brother!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
Actually you excrete a lot of dead cells, etc.
LOLWUT?
Originally Posted by olualbert
Spot on brother!
+1. Doing something like this purposely borders on insanity.

BP348

Reaction score
I'm pretty much thinking that this has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of!

OP claims to be a college student so OK maybe he's impressionable and influenced by one of his professors but for someone to come here and claim to be a MD/PhD and say they did the same but longer is just ******* crazy. I guess educated people can still be idiots.

The whole raw foods suggestion IMHO is a much better option.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
College students are such know-it-alls and it is hilarious.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
update from the original poster?

DBoon

Reaction score
OP is on a sensory deprivation fast. Every day our bodies are overexposed to visual and audio stimuli. Did you know that humans were designed to live lives confined to a 10 square mile area [1]? Man's aberrant expansion beyond the birth-zone led to abominations of the human species such as War, the Industrial Revolution and High Fructose Corn Syrup [2]. Unfortunately we can no longly easily revert to the natural state because of the urbanist lifestyle [3]. We have created our own prison of high population density [4], advertisements [3] and concrete. I applaud the OP's efforts to recreate the birth-zone by relocating to his parents' dwelling and shedding himself of the unnatural contrivances of work, education and fiscal responsibility. [1] - [4]: I cannot recall the particular passage, but relevant information can be found in Hon. Rev. Dr. Mohammad Elijah's How To Eat To Die and Henry David Thoreau's Where's Waldo?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
OP is on a sensory deprivation fast. Every day our bodies are overexposed to visual and audio stimuli. Did you know that humans were designed to live lives confined to a 10 square mile area [1]? Man's aberrant expansion beyond the birth-zone led to abominations of the human species such as War, the Industrial Revolution and High Fructose Corn Syrup [2]. Unfortunately we can no longly easily revert to the natural state because of the urbanist lifestyle [3]. We have created our own prison of high population density [4], advertisements [3] and concrete. I applaud the OP's efforts to recreate the birth-zone by relocating to his parents' dwelling and shedding himself of the unnatural contrivances of work, education and fiscal responsibility. [1] - [4]: I cannot recall the particular passage, but relevant information can be found in Hon. Rev. Dr. Mohammad Elijah's How To Eat To Die and Henry David Thoreau's Where's Waldo?
lol8[1].gif
Awesome. I might also recommend L. Ron Hubbard's "Diuretics" for an interesting take on excreting dead alien cells. The bolded portion above was my question as well; what "normal" person having a job, a life, in a relationship, and needing to make ends meet to pay the rent could ever do this (i.e. "I'm feeling euphoric, but can't get out of bed, so I'll just stay in this week and not go out.") The only thing I can imagine is that the OP is very young/in school, etc. This seems something to try when you're 18 and angry at the world, wanting to show your parents that you didn't need their Saab for your birthday, and wish to join in solidarity your brothers and sisters around the world subsisting on $1.20 a day, while tabbing over to the other open window to order J.Crew chinos and a new wireless keyboard for your Macbook.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads