• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Amazing Spider-Man (07/03/2012)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Donald for Spiderman.
lol8[1].gif

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Can't you blue screen that **** in this day and age? FFS they transferred someone's face for an entire movie in The Social Network!

wtf are you talking about

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Next Superman movie (I heard they are rebooting in earnest this time) really needs, as I believe JMRouse pointed out, a villain who can go toe to toe with Superman. That's why Zod was so cool in Superman 2, which is probably the greatest movie ever filmed.

They should have Brainiac, or someone/something like him, show up and create an army of Kryptonian robots or weapons or what have you.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
wtf are you talking about
The twins in that movie were played by one guy. Well, they had a body double but they did motion capture and digitally pasted one guy's face on another for the entire movie.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Next Superman movie (I heard they are rebooting in earnest this time) really needs, as I believe JMRouse pointed out, a villain who can go toe to toe with Superman. That's why Zod was so cool in Superman 2, which is probably the greatest movie ever filmed.

They should have Brainiac, or someone/something like him, show up and create an army of Kryptonian robots or weapons or what have you.

I believe they already said it's going to be General Zod.

DrMoBueno

Reaction score
Internet chatter says the costume [I'm talking Spider-Man here] we're seeing now is his wrestling outfit and not his actual costume.

Makes sense to me.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why would he have metal webshooters on his wrestling costume? You can see them clearly in the running shot. And the stripes/detailing match up with the first image in the thread, which doesn't look like a wrestling costume at all.

I suspect the running costume is the real deal, just a poorly lit stunt version. Though I'd be happy to be wrong.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I suspect the running costume is the real deal, just a poorly lit stunt version. Though I'd be happy to be wrong.

They'll probably do some cgi work there too, costume looks plain in that pic.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Just said I liked it enough and don't understand the hate it gets.

Most of the hate for Superman Returns was also due to their casting of Clark Kent/Superman, he is very reminiscent of Reeves. There are a few shots in that film that you probably won't be able to tell them apart. To some, that just doesn't work. Not in an insulting way, at least I don't think so, but from what Reeves has been through and what he has done in that role, I just don't think people wanted to see a reincarnation of that Superman look.

Other hate is really just on that kid. It really does leave a lot of plot holes (does the kids power come and go? Is he affected by Kryptonite? Does he get his power from the yellow sun? etc...) and then it really leaves the ending flat and there is no room for a sequel. What will they make, Superman teaching his son how to fight crime, teach him how to fly, how to disguise himself with a pair of reading glasses? It is just plain out stupid to me and somewhat of an insult to Superman fans.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Most of the hate for Superman Returns was also due to their casting of Clark Kent/Superman, he is very reminiscent of Reeves. There are a few shots in that film that you probably won't be able to tell them apart. To some, that just doesn't work. Not in an insulting way, at least I don't think so, but from what Reeves has been through and what he has done in that role, I just don't think people wanted to see a reincarnation of that Superman look.
Really? He was an almost perfect casting and one of the strong points to the film.
Originally Posted by RFX45
Other hate is really just on that kid. It really does leave a lot of plot holes (does the kids power come and go? Is he affected by Kryptonite? Does he get his power from the yellow sun? etc...) and then it really leaves the ending flat and there is no room for a sequel. What will they make, Superman teaching his son how to fight crime, teach him how to fly, how to disguise himself with a pair of reading glasses? It is just plain out stupid to me and somewhat of an insult to Superman fans.
Yes, he was affected by Kryptonite. There was a scene were Luthor held some near the kid and it was clearly affecting him. It's why Luthor asked who the kid's father was. It's also assumed that he would get his powers much like his father does, so yes the yellow sun. They didn't spell it out, but they didn't need to either. I also don't see how you can say there was no room for a sequel. It was as open as any other film. Luthor's still in the cards and there are plenty of other villains they could bring in. Nothing about the ending of the film indicated they would have a hard time coming up with a story and plot for the sequel. Also with the age of the kid, I don't really see how they would need to jump into some kind of Superboy territory with him in the sequel. Anyways as I acknowledged before, the film was far from perfect. I just don't think your criticisms here are that strong.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah, kryptonite didn't affect the kid, he just stared at it. It's open to interpretation but it certainly didn't affect the kid, he had asthma and that kryptonite didn't even activate it.

If he got his powers from the yellow sun, it won't just come and go though. Dude threw the piano and couldn't do anything else after that.

As for the sequel, no way they can make a sequel in that movie w/o the kid messing it up. It'll be a melodrama with Supes trying to be there for his kid and acting all fatherly, etc... And then it will be about the kid developing his own powers, etc... It'll be marsupialed, better saved for television like Smallville but not worth it on the big screen. Anything involving that kid and Superman just won't work. Who the hell wants to see Superman babysit, really? After that, it was pretty much asking for a reboot in it's next installment.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Really? He was an almost perfect casting and one of the strong points to the film.

A little too perfect to some. He wasn't a great Superman or Clark Kent, he was decent but had less of a charm than Reeves.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Poor man's Reeve. Too young for the part.

Superman Returns marked the potential restoration of a hugely lucrative, high-dollar film franchise. That they should cast the lead based, at least in part, on an actor's resemblance to another actor was just bizarre. No one picks a guy to play Batman because he looks like Adam West.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads