• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heritage Brand Thread

blake

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
I just got back from NYC and the trade shows and now that I am home two things struck me. First, that after walking Capsule I realized that both brands and retailers are trying to do their best to kill the American workwear trend. Second, that there are a lot of amazing heritage brands from other countries that are finally making their way to the states.

I thought we should have one thread to discuss heritage brands from all over the world.

I guess I will start. One brand that I thought was quite nice was armor lux. This was a sweater brand from France started in 1938. Apparently they invented the classic blue and white french stripe that you stereotypically see all the time. Nice extremely well made sweaters.
http://www.armorlux.com/_en_/pages~e...historique.htm

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blake
I just got back from NYC and the trade shows and now that I am home two things struck me. First, that after walking Capsule I realized that both brands and retailers are trying to do their best to kill the American workwear trend. Second, that there are a lot of amazing heritage brands from other countries that are finally making their way to the states.
Uh oh johnH is going to cry his fat little peasant eyes out hahaa. Think it's time for another banning.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone just started a UK Heritage brands thread that has some potential.

Canada has W+H (although not really a heritage brand per se) as well as Klaxon Howl. I wouldn't mind hearing more other Canadian heritage brands (although there's only so many variations on the denim tuxedo+hockey jersey theme).

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think they were selling armour lux at bloomingdales last season. nice naval sweater

blake

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
I guess what I am saying is that if you walked the shows, american heritage was being shoved down your throat. I have been carrying that kind of stuff for eight years and while I will always have that in the store I can see how we are going into a overload mode. Every store in America is going to be filled with nothing but that stuff.

I saw the UK thread and it is part of what prompted me to start this one. I did not mean to take away from that one. I just think we are going to see more and more great brands making their way into the US.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I will start. One brand that I thought was quite nice was armor lux. This was a sweater brand from France started in 1938. Apparently they invented the classic blue and white french stripe that you stereotypically see all the time. Nice extremely well made sweaters.
http://www.armorlux.com/_en_/pages~e...historique.htm

I really like the norse x colette x amour Lux colab.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess what I am saying is that if you walked the shows, american heritage was being shoved down your throat. I have been carrying that kind of stuff for eight years and while I will always have that in the store I can see how we are going into a overload mode. Every store in America is going to be filled with nothing but that stuff.

I saw the UK thread and it is part of what prompted me to start this one. I did not mean to take away from that one. I just think we are going to see more and more great brands making their way into the US.

Pete and I had this exact discussion. We literally could not tell the difference between one brand and another after a couple of hours. Not that there weren't considerable differences in quality, but you can only look at so many chore jackets and tweed coats before they all start looking the same.

The brands that stood out to me were those that did not have full collections, but instead, specialized in one particular category, brands like SNS Herning, Inhabit, and V:Room. I can see why a lot of brands are opting to show outside the context of tradeshows now, and hold either private showings, or place in a showroom.

The assistant designer of Engineered Garments showed that you can wear head to toe Engineered Garments, and look completely gothy ninja, though. I found that impressive.

I'm not sure that it counts as a heritage brand, but I think that John Smedley has done its own thing admirably for ages.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Uh oh johnH is going to cry his fat little peasant eyes out hahaa.

Think it's time for another banning.

C'mon man. If you've got nothing to contribute, there's no need to tear some other guy down. This is Fok the admin writing, so no matter what you think of me personally, please take notice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads