• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green MTO

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
The Galway is a boot, so if you deduct £100 for MTO and another £100 for the trees that sounds about right.

Well, I asked for exactly the same thing 12 months ago and they quoted £770, now it's £955.

For reference, I asked for:

Style: Galway
Size: 10
Fit: F
Last: 64
Sole: Medway
Colour: burgundy or chestnut
Other: smooth calf leather, not grain

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
Agree with that! I think their MTO at £700 is for 'benchgrade' quality stuff - not Handgrade! Tricker's do the same thing at £475, but you can get MTO Tricker's from Shoehealer for £350. Tricker's would do you a fully bespoke shoe for £800, but I don't know if they'd use EG quality leather. I digress!
Lobb, W.S. Foster, Cleverley are a couple of grand for bespoke shoes, boots slightly more. Custom-made riding boots can be as much as £5000. http://manufactureandindustry.blogsp...oke-shoes.html

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Response from EG:

"The price quoted is not for a "Top Drawer" as the price would be £1350".

watchcollector2454

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan
You have to add £100 for shoe-trees, I own EG shoes but do not have any MTO shoes or their shoe-trees; I did enquire about MTO shoes (Cheslea model) early last year, Val quoted £690 and £100 for shoe-trees. If you use Bespoke-England for MTO G&G, they start at £700 and shoe-trees are £95.

What shoes did you request MTO, because starting at £955 with shoe-trees is about £150 too much for the base range?

As for MTO C&J, why bother at their (up-charge) prices? Better of spending a bit more money and getting MTO G&G.

i just bought a pair from them a couple weeks ago and trees were 65 pounds. i don't think they upcharge for trees ordered through MTO because they use the same last. i realize the 35 pounds saved won't make a big difference but it's just FYI.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Increased price + increased VAT + you're looking at a boot + trees.

Any shoe I want outside of about 3 models will be MTO and the price is about 690.

braised

Reaction score
Galway is a boot, it has always been more expensive. They are great, the rosewood is a great color.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Looks like I'm now officially priced out of the EG MTO market. No worries as I already have a few and am more than content just dealing with Alfred Sargent's MTO program. That's something the OP may want to consider as well.

Mike147

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Wow. Looks like I'm now officially priced out of the EG MTO market. No worries as I already have a few and am more than content just dealing with Alfred Sargent's MTO program. That's something the OP may want to consider as well.

How does the AS MTO Program compare to EG in terms of price?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike147

Depends on whether you have a standing relationship or not. Truth be told, AS will take care of you. EG prices are written in stone (until they increase them).

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike147

The great thing about AS is that they have MTO options across the board similar to EG, but not at that price level. You can MTO any standard shoe of theirs from the Premier or Classic collections you see on their website or Pediwear. They do an upcharge of around 50 GBP to change the color or the last which would make the price somewhere around 275 GBP depending on the model. The Handgrade line is of course significantly more if you're looking for those kind of features.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog
EG is in my dog house at present. Four e-mails went unanswerered during the recent winter sale. I sent repeated requests for the stock list, which in the past they sent out the day the sale started.

Nothing. Not a single response.

Really a crappy way to do business.

As for the G&G at Bespoke -the basic price is 670.00 pnds with trees(and shipping is free on MTO) and you are looking at about $1,100.00 price point. Excellent value

I have been corresponding with them over the last few weeks. Their replies have been spotty. I will go back & forth 3-4 times a day, and then an email will just go completely unanswered. Kinda disturbing as well. One of my unanswered emails was a change order request. I hope they got it. It wasn't a huge issue, so I won't be extremely upset if it didn't happen. However, I will say something.

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
The great thing about AS is that they have MTO options across the board similar to EG, but not at that price level. You can MTO any standard shoe of theirs from the Premier or Classic collections you see on their website or Pediwear. They do an upcharge of around 50 GBP to change the color or the last which would make the price somewhere around 275 GBP depending on the model. The Handgrade line is of course significantly more if you're looking for those kind of features.

They can also alter design but according to Chay, this has a £100 up-charge

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds right. I haven't altered anything yet, but makes sense they would have to charge for it.

Mike147

Reaction score

I'm hoping they can alter sizing a bit to accommodate orthotics. Going to run into Chay at an upcoming trunkshow in the US to see what he can do for me. I emailed him a few months ago and he wants to see me in person and fit me before making any decisions.

EG MTO in the US is going to run $1300 - hoping AS will come quite a bit below that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads