• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batman: Dark Knight Rises (movie thread)

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Nolan should have looked at Melissa George or Amanda Peet for the part of Catwoman. Also, do they have to retire the Joker? Why couldn’t someone like Joseph Gordon-Levitt take it on? Better yet, give it to Gary Oldman. Ol’ rubber face can do the lot. There’s a part in Interstate 60 where he does the face, it’s effortless. I’d have given him the role of The Joker from the start and allowed him to do whatever the hell he wanted with it.
Hells yes. Highly under-the-radar hottie. One million times sexier than Manface Hathanerd.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Nolan should have looked at Melissa George or Amanda Peet for the part of Catwoman. Also, do they have to retire the Joker? Why couldn't someone like Joseph Gordon-Levitt take it on? Better yet, give it to Gary Oldman. Ol' rubber face can do the lot. There's a part in Interstate 60 where he does the face, it's effortless. I'd have given him the role of The Joker from the start and allowed him to do whatever the hell he wanted with it.

Give it to the same Gary Oldman that already has a central role in the films as Gordon? What?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Give it to the same Gary Oldman that already has a central role in the films as Gordon? What?

Lol, that would be a weird and avant garde take on both Gordon and the Joker.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe Gordon IS the Joker!
tinfoil.gif

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Lol, that would be a weird and avant garde take on both Gordon and the Joker.

Yeah, destined to fail. That's why I was confused by his post.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score

Yeah, destined to fail. That's why I was confused by his post.

We're talking about Gary Oldman FFS.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You guys need to realize it's not the characters that matter, but the writing. Good writing can make any character interesting. The perfect example of this is James Robinson's STARMAN series which took an extremely obscure hero with uninteresting "powers" and made one of the single best comic series from start to finish you will ever read.

Having said that, Bane has been written well many times over the years (check out the ongoing Secret Six for example). I don't think there is any reason to be concerned here. A friend and I actually predicted this months ago and we are both convinced that his character, onscreen, will be portrayed as a mix of Bane and Black Mask. Also, don't be surprised if they tie his story with having a history with Ra's al Ghul. It's been done in the comics before...

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^See, I disagree with that. No amount of writing can cover up ****** acting. Take Spider-Man for instance. The comics always portray him as sarcastic, humorous, and witty. Plug Tobey McGwire into the role and you end up with mopey, broody, and depressing.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
^See, I disagree with that. No amount of writing can cover up ****** acting. Take Spider-Man for instance. The comics always portray him as sarcastic, humorous, and witty. Plug Tobey McGwire into the role and you end up with mopey, broody, and depressing.

You missed my point. People in this thread were calling Bane a one dimensional comic book character. I was pointing out that good writing can take any character and make them interesting. My comments had something to do with acting.

I wouldn't be worried about the acting anyways. Tom Hardy is a fantastic actor and a great pic. As for Anne Hathaway, she wouldn't have been my first choice, but I am more then willing to give the casting a benefit of a doubt. A lot of people thought Heath Ledger was a crazy pick to play the Joker and look how that turned out? His performance was amazing. Christopher Nolan knows what he is doing.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
What? With it publicly known that Nolan will be directing and co-writing again, they could name this "Batmans **** his Pants" and people will still see it and probably break records. You're just looking for a reason to hate the damn movie.

I've been looking forward to this movie since the credits rolled on TDK. I'm pointing out the fact it's a poor title is all. Why would I want to hate a movie before I saw it. That doesn't make any sense.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Recoil
I've been looking forward to this movie since the credits rolled on TDK. I'm pointing out the fact it's a poor title is all. Why would I want to hate a movie before I saw it. That doesn't make any sense.

Well, read the thread and read Rambos response and ask him.

If the title works with what the movie is about, then it isn't really just there for advertising that is why it makes no sense. If they want it to sell, make the title Nolan's Batman then maybe it will get a few more bucks from people.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo

For all we know that is also writing. If they don't write Peter Parker as sarcastic or humorous, then why would Tobey play him that way? They have to give him the lines, what to say and how to say it. If it says for him to be a dork then why would he play anything other than that?

No matter what you say, SM1 & SM2 worked, even with the character and power changes. Those two movies were great and Tobey played Peter Parker well, maybe not great after seeing Heaths performance as the Joker but he really did seem like Peter Parker right out of the comic books.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait Bane defeats Batman and Batman becomes paralyzed? So thats the end of the Batman series? Im confused.

There is a "new" Batman and he's crazy, so wheres the series end?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comic book continuity, don't even try
crazy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads