• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ModernTailor.com Complaint - AVOID - Terrible Service

orlandomike

Reaction score
I wanted to share my experience with everyone here because it was the feedback I read on this site that made me order 2 shirts from moderntailor.com several weeks ago.

I am a big guy (6' and 280lbs), so it is hard to find shirts that fit properly. They are always either too long or too tight in the stomach. So I started having shirts made through my local Tom James representative, which is an expensive option. But, they do not offer the amount of customization that websites like moderntailor, itailor and tailorstore provide.

My plans were to order a couple shirts from each of these websites and continue ordering from the site that provided the best combo of product and service. Additionally, my moderntailor order included a swatch book so I can identify the shirts I want in the the future (great idea).

The order from moderntailor.com arrived first (without the swatch book that I paid $25 for!), a black herringbone shirt and a blue oxford. Both of the fabrics were of impressive quality, with beautiful contrast and button holes. Unfortunately, both of the shirts were a little tight around the stomach and the sleeves were much too short.

I promptly responded to the site, letting them know about the problem. Nobody from the site seems to respond to the first email in any string, so you have to repeatedly ask for help in order to get any.

Initially, the service rep informed me that I need to supply pictures of the problem, which I did. Then, a different rep asked for different pictures and told me I may have to pay for another shirt. Regarding the fabric swatch book, each person kept telling me that the book should have been included in the package. (I know the book should have been included, which is why I am upset!)

After providing the second set of pictures, to a third person, I have stopped receiving communication all together. I have been sending email for nearly a month and it seems that moderntailor has "given up" on me and my want for a properly fitting shirt.

It seems that the $200 I spent on the shirts and the $25 on the book were a waste of money for me, but hopefully it will alert future shoppers of their terribly customer service.

I feel that any business should have a couple shots at redemption before you discuss these matters publicly, but they have had a dozen shots to satisfy me and they have shown that my business does not matter to moderntailor.com.

Regarding the other two shirt companies, my findings are this:

tailorstore has the best visualizer and a "good" quality shirt
itailor has a "poor" quality shirt, but a good visualizer
moderntailor has no visualizer but the "best" quality fabric (which is why I wanted to work it out with them)

But, in the end, due to the lack of service, I will probably place my next couple orders on tailorstore.com.

If service is not important to you, than try them out.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
What measurements did you give? Body or existing shirt? What were the measurements? What are the measurements of the shirts you received?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you order a test shirt first? That's what they are there for. Way to go and order two expensive fabrics on your first try. I can't be sure, but maybe you have supplied wrong measurements (which is no ones fault, because online MTM requires several iterations to work out)? I have received excellent communication from MT's support staff each time I had a concern. I have recommended their service to three people and each one of them is fully satisfied and is a regular customer now. I have more than 15 shirts from MT and I found them to have consistently good fit.

I'm sorry that you've had problems with them, but I think you might've expected too much in the first place. PM emma from MT, she posts in the official MT thread, she tends to reply to PM's every other day and is usually very helpful.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Odds that this is a Tailorstore promotional sock?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Odds that this is a Tailorstore promotional sock?

Thought about it, too. Is SF that big of a market?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Thought about it, too. Is SF that big of a market?
Hasn't discouraged these kinds of things before. Nialma has been known to pull this stunt over and over again, for instance. The fact that this character posted the exact same story, verbatim, on two different threads today, doesn't bode well.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've purchased from moderntailor and had some quality issues that were quickly resolved. Could not fault their customer service. They were there for me all the way through.

Fit was spot on in my case, based on measurements from an existing shirt. I can see how people might have problems when they provide their body measurements but this has been discussed in many threads and generally discouraged.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I found them to be extremely reasonable as well. In my experience, they have gone the extra mile to ensure that I'm happy. This type of behaviour is unnecessary.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
I'm calling
spam[1].gif
because OP posted this exact message in a thread earlier in the week; this is just copied and pasted.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Major case of
spam[1].gif

Thats only means MT is doing something RIGHT!!!
lol8[1].gif

Regards.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thumbs up for Modern Tailor. Any problems I've had have been 100% my fault. They made my shirts just the way I asked them to. Shipping is slow as hell, and EMS sucks, but as they say, "Good, Fast, and Cheap -- pick any two". I'll take good, cheap, and slow any day.

In case this isn't
spam[1].gif
, OP, you're an idiot for not buying a trial shirt. They sent you a shirt that didn't fit right because you gave them bad measurements. I sent them good measurements and the very first shirt I ordered from them was not perfect but totally wearable.

And in case this is spam: You're a marsupial, spammer. For every n00b MT complaint you post, like 10 well-respected members chime in to say good things about Modern Tailor.

mario.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads