• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying The Farm

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever had a relative or friend in such a bad condition that instead of wishing they got better you wished they'd buy the farm?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Hoping someone gets better and accepting reality are not mutually exclusive, I like to think. I have been in a situation where giving up on treatment was the best course. At that point, you just wait and make him/her as comfortable as you can.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Ever had a relative or friend in such a bad condition that instead of wishing they got better you wished they'd buy the farm?

I think that is a pretty natural feeling. I've watched several loved ones go through the death spiral, and once it becomes a foregone conclusion, and the suffering piles on, I've wished them a peaceful exit. To wish otherwise seems rather selfish.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IT sucks tho. Wifey's mom is going thru this and as much as I hate it I think she's better off dead. She's spent like the last decade zombified on meds for teh schitzo. Right now she's in intensive on a respirator. Damn.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
when you buy a coffin, does the coffin itself come in the box? I'd like to have a few of them coffin boxes.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IT sucks tho. Wifey's mom is going thru this and as much as I hate it I think she's better off dead. She's spent like the last decade zombified on meds for teh schitzo. Right now she's in intensive on a respirator. Damn.

Yes, it does suck to lose a loved one. But it sounds as if she's been in a painful existence for quite some time. I think you are okay to wish her a quick and easy passing. Your attention is probably better spent on helping Wifey prepare for the inevitable and to comfort her as she loses her mother. Good luck.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Yes, it does suck to lose a loved one. But it sounds as if she's been in a painful existence for quite some time. I think you are okay to wish her a quick and easy passing. Your attention is probably better spent on helping Wifey prepare for the inevitable and to comfort her as she loses her mother. Good luck.

Normally I'm among the last to give up hope for that sort of thing, but I agree with Rube here - I would wish for the same. Peace to you and your family in the coming weeks and months.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you're not a fan. In any case, maybe time to pull the plug? (0)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly felt that way about my uncle as he was going down--that he'd be better off dead. So did he.

I commented to him once that just after his bad stroke that ruined him, while I was sitting up with him before the medics came to take him to the hospital, it occurred to me that it would be best for everyone, especially him, if I just stuck the pillow over his face. "I wish to Christ you had," he snarled emphatically.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fortunately she's pulled through and is home and seemingly back to normal. I'm happy as is my wife.

Thanks all!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Glad to hear it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads