• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I tip on delivery Chinese?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread better be a troll, or else I'm very disappointed in SF.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
when you 'merkuns are in hong kong or china, do you tip when you eat out?

This 'Merkun tips like a 'Merkun whether he's in New York, Shanghai, Moscow, of Timbuktu. We, as a nation, are well practiced in the art of ******* things up for everyone else everywhere we go.

Y'all a bunch of heathen, 'Merka hatin', high-tax-havin', non-tippin' cheapskates.

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
I usually do a minimum of $2 or 10%, whatever is more.

This. Although I tip 20% when the weather is nasty.

I feel like delivery men deserves more tip than waiter/waitress. They have to deal with nyc traffic while balancing food on their bike when its dumping snow outside. IMO this is a far more demanding job than waitering.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy

I feel like delivery men deserves more tip than waiter/waitress. They have to deal with nyc traffic while balancing food on their bike when its dumping snow outside. IMO this is a far more demanding job than waitering.

You've obviously never been a server.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first job was delivering pizzas. Typical range was $2 - $5. At both places I worked at, it never made much sense but the farther away the house, the lower the tip would most likely be. The closer the house, the higher the tip. The best tips were always the ones where I just walked outside and crossed the street. No offense, but Asians were the worst tippers.

On occasion, I'd get "lost" for a half hour or so. Getting "lost" just happened to coincide with a delivery to a sorority party, regular party, or when a playoff game/MNF game was on and the people I delivered to invited me to watch the game.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy

Yeah, I'll definitely tip more in ****** weather or if I order something during a big game, because, well, that sucks for them.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I tip them, but it's still something to think about.

No. It isn't. In America you are supposed to tip. End of story. Also its only a couple bucks. Why be an utter **** over such an inconsequential amount?

Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
If I order for 2, generally around $16-20, my tip will be in the $3-4 range. I'll always give a minimum $2 even if the delivery is fairly late. If the guy gives me an attitude while still being late, he gets to keep whatever change is leftover.

If the weather is ****** and I order delivery because I'm lazy, I usually will give the delivery guy (bless his weatherbeaten soul) a fiver.

Originally Posted by Dedalus
I worked in a Chinese restaurant once with FOBs. The waiters would be pissed when they get stiffed on tips. They expect the tips as much as white people. Jesus, how is this even a question?

Originally Posted by Sazerac
I always tip as I would in a restaurant, 20%. I mean, hell, the guy schlepped it from the kitchen to my house.

There is much truth here.

Originally Posted by acidboy
when you 'merkuns are in hong kong or china, do you tip when you eat out?

I never tip in a restaurant no how. I mean, I could cook that **** and walk it out.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
To answer Kyle's question, I always tip according to the local customs of the place I am in. In HK, that means I generally do not tip.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yes.

Driving to your suburban locations in a car is a bit different from walking or cycling in the freezing cold, rain, sleet, hail, snow, blistering heat etc on the heavily trafficked streets of NYC...

That is assuming of course that you delivered back home
tongue.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Driving to your suburban locations in a car is a bit different from walking or cycling in the freezing cold, rain, sleet, hail, snow, blistering heat etc on the heavily trafficked streets of NYC...

That is assuming of course that you delivered back home
tongue.gif

I've delivered in a car and on a bike. Neither are as hard as being a server.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I've delivered in a car and on a bike. Neither are as hard as being a server.

I agree that being a server is likely more difficult than even delivering in NYC, but on the other hand, the delivery guys don't get tipped as well nor have the earning potential a server does (at most establishments).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads