• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Look like Barker Blacks to me

dunno tree's are G&G thro

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Jealous!

Yeah, I wish I could kop. Alas, may be a bit too much for me at this juncture in my life. Plus, need to save up for when I visit Ugolini this summer.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
clockwise from 12. Prada chelsea boot Paul Smith by Cheaney (Japanese model) Barker Black Wallace JL Luffield RLPL Mackay C&J Lowndes Polo jodhpur boots by C&J Hugo Boss derby (pre-sf, at full retail
facepalm.gif
it's my i-don't-care-if-you-step-on-it clubbing shoe now) C&J Edgware RLPL Grant C&J Belgrave correct. i just had an extra set of g&g trees and they seem to fit the width ok thanks! i shot it with a canon 60D and 17-55mm f/2.8.

I absolutely love those Paul Smith boots.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Nice shoes but black suede is unwearable.
really? pow check or donegal comes to my mind + many other options...
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
IMG_3305.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I absolutely love those Paul Smith boots.

they are nice indeed.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm bored with the latest Paul Smith offerings, are these a decent alternative for going out shoes?

Too expensive at retail, currently on sale at asos.com with free shipping worldwide

Oliver Sweeney Orate
Oliver-Sweeney-Ornate-Oxfords-1.jpg
Oliver-Sweeney-Ornate-Oxfords-3.jpg

Would go nice with jeans or grey / blue / brown pants

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because they look terrible with everything, except perhaps a smoking jacket or a tux. If you can make them work with normal outfits, more power to you.

I have 2 pairs that look good (to me
cool.gif
) with normal outfits

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
really?

pow check or donegal comes to my mind + many other options...

Thanks for posting this picture. I think you made my point pretty well. It's quite obvious to me that a multitude of shoes would be a better choice than these back suede with this PoW: dark brown suede, mid brown suede, brown calf, burgundy calf, black calf. All IMO would look much better. Which is the reason why I never wore my black suede shoes when I had a pair: everything else was a better choice, no matter what my outfit was.

Again, YMMV. That's the conclusion I personally got to from owning black suede. That's also probably why they sell at a steep discount to other hides.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this picture.

you're welcome.

i agree that you shouldn't start your rotation with black suede though for people like you and me who are already in the two digit area it's a question of personal preference and overall style.

are you willing to trade yours or are they already gone?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i agree that you shouldn't start your rotation with black suede though for people like you and me who are already in the two digit area it's a question of personal preference and overall style.

Exactly. A few months back I was looking for a pair of black suede shoes. I am well into the two-digit area myself. I didn't find anything to my liking, and didn't really want to spend a fortune on black suede, as I figured it wasn't something I'd wear super duper often. I had a watch out on eBay, and some nice ones came along for a good price, so I snatched them up.

Although I agree with gdl that there is almost always a better option than black suede (or black shoes in general), it does fill a hole in my collection and I think there are times that they would work nicely. For example, I think black suede shoes would have looked cool with this outfit:

2010-11-15a.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you willing to trade yours or are they already gone?
Long gone (to thrift store, I think)
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Although I agree with gdl that there is almost always a better option than black suede (or black shoes in general), it does fill a hole in my collection and I think there are times that they would work nicely. For example, I think black suede shoes would have looked cool with this outfit:

2010-11-15a.jpg

I agree it could look good with this. But then again, I think you'd have to force yourself to pick them if you were wearing this outfit. I would venture to guess that your intuition would be to go for brown suede or calf rather than black suede. At least that was what I did - I never seemed to reach for the black suede naturally.

Let's revisit in a few months and see if you made them work for you - I'd be interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads