• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Pictures of Your Turntable and Audio Gear Here

bwp

Reaction score
Hello gents, been frequenting SF for a while but still a bit to learn on the fashion end before I have useful info to post in MC. The audio end however, that I am well versed in.

Main rig in our primary lounge area, high power solid state:
mkku4x.jpg

Secondary rig in smaller lounge area, low power tube based:
x1is1x.jpg

52z42w.jpg

Glad to see some members are a bit beyond ipod/headphones, nothing wrong with them of course!

OakCliff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwp
Hello gents, been frequenting SF for a while but still a bit to learn on the fashion end before I have useful info to post in MC. The audio end however, that I am well versed in.

Main rig in our primary lounge area, high power solid state:
mkku4x.jpg

How do you keep the main rig ventilated inside that cabinet?

bwp

Reaction score
The components I chose actually don't mind the doors closed. For amplification I use Wyred class D amps, they put out 500+ watts a piece but barely get warm to the touch. My preamp is tube based but it also does not get too hot.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Great Maggies but they need more breathing room. I assume you pull them out for serious listening?

I have 1.6s.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCliff
My VPI Scoutmaster

2466116026_0edac00f38_z.jpg

Nice pic. I love my VPI rig. Is that a ZYX cartridge? What other components do you use?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are decent, beginner speakers for a turntable set? I would really like to keep it below $200

bwp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Great Maggies but they need more breathing room. I assume you pull them out for serious listening?

I have 1.6s.

What do you power your 1.6s with? I would like to try tubes or an OTL eventually. I do pull them out a little and toe them in when listening critically, they are such great speakers they sound really good no matter what the placement.

MarkI, try and pick something up used from Audiogon. Many decent bookshelf speakers can be had for that price, Mordaunt Short is one brand that comes to mind at that price point.

OakCliff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Nice pic. I love my VPI rig. Is that a ZYX cartridge? What other components do you use?

It is a ZYX Airy 3. I also have a Lyra Dorian mono with a separate arm for mono playback. The rest of the components for this setup are a VAC Avatar Super integrated amp with a Bent Audio TX-103 Mu Step Up transformer, Theil Audio CS-2.2 speakers, Alesis Masterlink ML-9600 CD Recorder, and Scott Nixon Tube DAC USBTD/4XAC DA Converter for direct connection to a Mac for iTunes playback.

OakCliff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Nice.

Heard this mono masterpiece?

000b2146_medium.jpeg

No, I haven't heard that one, but Quiet Kenny is one of my favorites.

QuietKenny.jpeg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwp
What do you power your 1.6s with? I would like to try tubes or an OTL eventually. I do pull them out a little and toe them in when listening critically, they are such great speakers they sound really good no matter what the placement.

I have an Audio Research VT-100 tube amp which works great. I also use a Nelson Pass designed Forte which is terrific. I keep them 3 feet from the back wall and side walls.

Originally Posted by OakCliff
It is a ZYX Airy 3. I also have a Lyra Dorian mono with a separate arm for mono playback. The rest of the components for this setup are a VAC Avatar Super integrated amp with a Bent Audio TX-103 Mu Step Up transformer, Theil Audio CS-2.2 speakers, Alesis Masterlink ML-9600 CD Recorder, and Scott Nixon Tube DAC USBTD/4XAC DA Converter for direct connection to a Mac for iTunes playback.

Great gear. I really enjoy my Lyra Argo i.

Based

Reaction score
Hello styleforvm, very long time reader first time po(a)ster.

I was induced to finally join because I thought I would ask the knowledgeable folks here of their opinion on the purchase of the following package from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...o.590801&nm_mc

In summary:
1. Onkyo TX-SR608: $379.00
2. Klipsch RC-52 II: $349.99
3. Klipsch RW-12d: $499.99
4. Klipsch RF-52 II B: $349.00
5. Klipsch RF-52 II B: $349.00
6. Klipsch RB-51 II: $399.99
Combo Discount: -$926.98
Combo Price: $1,399.99

A little info about myself: I am currently in school for an advanced degree with several years left and I don't honestly foresee myself living in anything but within an apartment setting for the next couple of years. As such, I was interested in purchasing these as more of an item for 'future needs' (they would be in their boxes at my parents' house until then). I would by no means consider myself on any magnitude an audiophile, but I do appreciate nice luxuries and I don't mind applying my student-level (read: loan money) budget to quality items/ purchases. I would be using this set for home theatre purposes and casual listening of various musical genres.

Common sense says that technology items are rarely future-proof but I've read that a quality audio rig is an exception to that logic. Again, I have no experience in the world of audiophilia and I don't really expect to get bit by the upgrade bug (as evidenced by other personal interests). Long story short, is this a good purchase on a cost:quality ratio and worth my monies, or would something cheaper/in the future/not this better suit my needs? Genuine thanks all in advance for your replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads