• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm on Sprint and I get that text message sending lag thing too. It has to do with the reception you're getting. Despite it showing bars the signal might not in fact be getting through properly. Sometimes, I just check my outbox to make sure everything's been sent.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am on T-mobile in Houston and will probably stick with them.

I made the mistake of getting into a subsidized phone contract back in Oct., 2008 with a G1

The G1 ( running 1.5 ) was a dinosaur by 2009 and I didn't want to pay the penalty.

Luckily, someone gave me a 3G MyTouch Slide about 6 months ago ( running 2.1 ). This has been a 1/2 ass stopgap Android phone. It is decent but just so. It is leagues behind phones like the Galaxy S series, the G2, the MyTouch 4 and any of the best Android phones from other carriers like the Evo or the Droid X.

Today, I was at the T-mobile store and the manager told me that there is a special online promotion whereby the G2 is free with a 2 year contract! Now, I am against contracts but this seems like a heck of a deal. If I keep the phone less than a year the penalty for switching would be $250, and short of two years the penalty would be $150.

At those prices, it seems similar in price to buying a phone on Craigslist and owning it, except this way it would be right from T-mobile and easily warrantied. I am pretty sure the G2 would be sufficient for at least a year and possibly more. It is a 4G phone ( really a 3.5, but that is what T-mobile offers here ) with Android 2.2 and is an HTC phone so maybe they will actually upgrade to 2.3 also.

After doing research, it seems that the Evo with Sprint, or the Droid X with Verizon would be my choices. But I don't particularly want to switch carriers ( I have a T-mobile home line which I need ) and it seems very reasonable to get at least a years usage with the G2.

Given the great current deal on a G2 with T-mobile and my situation, what do you think? Would you hop on the free G2 with a 2 year contract or wait for the next latest and greatest phone?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Arnie - if you can hold out a bit with the MyTouch I'd recommend it. There are a wave of new high powered Android phones hitting the market this spring and summer and they will put most of the current crop to shame. Hell, even T-Mobile is going to be releasing a 4G phone pretty soon.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Arnie - if you can hold out a bit with the MyTouch I'd recommend it. There are a wave of new high powered Android phones hitting the market this spring and summer and they will put most of the current crop to shame. Hell, even T-Mobile is going to be releasing a 4G phone pretty soon.

T-mobile is marketing the G2 and the Nexus 2 ( sold at Best Buy for T-mobile ), as 4G phones already. But from what I have read, it is really an improved 3G network but not really a 4G. Thus a 3.5G.

It is called HSPA, and is really an improved and faster network than their current 3G. But as you can see in the link, none of the other carriers have a true 3G operating yet either, though they claim they do.

I also see your point and I am sure I can get another 6 - 9 months out of the MyTouch 3G Slide that I have. It would be tempting to get the G2 because the cost numbers are so good. I.E., I could get the G2 for free and lets say use it for 13 months. Then I can cancel the contract early and pay the $200 penalty ( or whatever it is, it will be close to $200 ). Then ( if I keep the G2 in good shape, I could probably sell it for at least $100 ). So my cost of ownership for the year ( of the improved G2 hardware ) would be approximately $100. This is tempting.

Or of course, I could wait till this summer when they will probably be coming out with newer and better Android phones which will be an improvement over anything right now, and switch from the MyTouch then. So I will have to figure which way to go.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got tired of my Touch Pro 2, even after custom firmware. WinMo 6.5 sucks.

Now I have a G2 that I got off eBay so I don't have to sign another contract. Android is awesome but lacking in some areas (BT support for Skype, etc.).

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I got tired of my Touch Pro 2, even after custom firmware. WinMo 6.5 sucks.

Now I have a G2 that I got off eBay
so I don't have to sign another contract. Android is awesome but lacking in some areas (BT support for Skype, etc.).

May I ask how much the G2 was on Ebay and if it was NIB and you were able to register it with T-mobile and use your warranty through them and not have to go to HTC if anything happens?

Also, did you consider buying any other T-mobile Android phones other than the G2?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
T-mobile is marketing the G2 and the Nexus 2 ( sold at Best Buy for T-mobile ), as 4G phones already. But from what I have read, it is really an improved 3G network but not really a 4G. Thus a 3.5G. It is called HSPA, and is really an improved and faster network than their current 3G. But as you can see in the link, none of the other carriers have a true 3G operating yet either, though they claim they do. I also see your point and I am sure I can get another 6 - 9 months out of the MyTouch 3G Slide that I have. It would be tempting to get the G2 because the cost numbers are so good. I.E., I could get the G2 for free and lets say use it for 13 months. Then I can cancel the contract early and pay the $200 penalty ( or whatever it is, it will be close to $200 ). Then ( if I keep the G2 in good shape, I could probably sell it for at least $100 ). So my cost of ownership for the year ( of the improved G2 hardware ) would be approximately $100. This is tempting. Or of course, I could wait till this summer when they will probably be coming out with newer and better Android phones which will be an improvement over anything right now, and switch from the MyTouch then. So I will have to figure which way to go.
Not necessarily and especially not if you have any intention of jumping carriers. I know for a fact that the Vibrant 4G will be out before summer and so will the HTC Thunderbolt for Verizon. As mentioned below, the LG Optimus is coming out and so is the Motorola Atrix(I think that's what its called) on AT&T. Unless you go via Craigslist or Ebay to get a new phone, thus not extending your contract, I'd seriously caution against it.

BP348

Reaction score
Not necessarily and especially not if you have any intention of jumping carriers. I know for a fact that the Vibrant 4G will be out before summer and so will the HTC Thunderbolt for Verizon.

That Thunderbolt looks interesting. Is the screen the same size as the Droid X? I've been wanting a Droix X but i might really have to consider the Thunderbolt and/or the Droid Bionic.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
May I ask how much the G2 was on Ebay and if it was NIB and you were able to register it with T-mobile and use your warranty through them and not have to go to HTC if anything happens?

Also, did you consider buying any other T-mobile Android phones other than the G2?

$300 shipped, used (but I don't care since phones are meant to scratch eventually, this one looks like new), yes (had to switch from 3G data plan to 4G plan; same price; no extension), what warranty?

No, I wanted a "4G" phone.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm still loving my Galaxy S.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm on Sprint and I get that text message sending lag thing too. It has to do with the reception you're getting. Despite it showing bars the signal might not in fact be getting through properly. Sometimes, I just check my outbox to make sure everything's been sent.

Yo Rambo, what phone do you have? Any tricks to making Android OS run smoother and minimal resources being used in the background?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Yo Rambo, what phone do you have? Any tricks to making Android OS run smoother and minimal resources being used in the background?
I've got an old ************* Samsung that I'm using, for the time being, before I choose which 4G phone to get. Check out Lifehacker for good Android guides. There was one on using a task killer a while back.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics