• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any love for colored silk knot cufflinks?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Saw these on the counter at BB but they were asking silly money. Got on eBay and there's a fella in China who sells five pairs in assorted colours for about $10 including postage (no troll!)

I think this might be an OK look for a shirt with a blazer or SC, even without a tie, if the shirt is less formal like gingham or Bengal, but I don't recall seeing any/many on WAYWN. Do any igents go for this or is it too much of a 'no man's land' look between business and casual?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivystyle
link to the china fella!

Seller was 'springing 2010' - if you plug in 'colored silk knot cufflinks' you'll see several posted, either a sackfull for like $25 or something and I think it was more like $6 for five. Arrived in only a few days too - yesterday I got a chritmas card posted to me in Texas from England on December 8th. Go figure!

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few. Charvet makes very nice ones. I do not presently own any French cuff shirts, however!

dport86

Reaction score
Silk knots are classic, trad, elegant. Cufflinks can be great too but these are great for travel, and when you want a little understatement. Cheap and nasty are most of the gold or chrome plated, plastic stone cheap cufflinks I see most guys wearing with their French cuffs. I have vintage gold and sterling links but I still wear the knots sometimes--got married in a pair last year. Just be careful with ebay sellers from China--might be made in the same factory as BB, or might be much worse quality. "Silk" from China rarely came from the butt-end of a silkworm. Caveat Emptor. At least cuff link failure isn't fatal (unlike brake pad failure).

TintinATL

Reaction score
Not sure I qualify as an igent, but I wear these all the time. Usually in a contrast color - something that goes with my tie or some other item of my clothes - to avoid the knots looking like they are what came with the shirt.

I think they make a nice, slightly more relaxed alternative to cuff links.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Chinese ones. They are kinda small, but not bad at all. I'd say they are worth the money if you wear french cuffs regularly. I rarely do, so whenever the occasion calls for it, I usually reach for the higher end cuff links.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are fine, but I usually reserve them for less formal/ unstructured suits with soft shoulders, often with no tie

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I have a few. Charvet makes very nice ones. I do not presently own any French cuff shirts, however!

What? I'm shocked to learn this BB. You've got to get some FC shirts matey to add that extra bit spice to your more formal fits.

Ivystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dport86
Silk knots are classic, trad, elegant. Cufflinks can be great too but these are great for travel, and when you want a little understatement. Cheap and nasty are most of the gold or chrome plated, plastic stone cheap cufflinks I see most guys wearing with their French cuffs. I have vintage gold and sterling links but I still wear the knots sometimes--got married in a pair last year. Just be careful with ebay sellers from China--might be made in the same factory as BB, or might be much worse quality. "Silk" from China rarely came from the butt-end of a silkworm. Caveat Emptor. At least cuff link failure isn't fatal (unlike brake pad failure).
+1 break pad failure..
lol8[1].gif
.. another recall.. Hit the motherload ..30pairs for $10

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Seller was 'springing 2010' - if you plug in 'colored silk knot cufflinks' you'll see several posted, either a sackfull for like $25 or something and I think it was more like $6 for five. Arrived in only a few days too - yesterday I got a chritmas card posted to me in Texas from England on December 8th. Go figure!

Can't find it.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
I now almost exclusively wear silk knots now. When I first came out of uni 7 years ago now cufflinks were quite rare, however since then they have become so common. Now days almost the entire male professional population wears them. Silk knots are one way for me to differentiate myself. Then again, I have been known to also do up my cuffs to make barrel cuffs rather then have the cuffs kiss.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
You couldn't pay me enough money to wear silk knots. They are hideous and very cheap looking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads