• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another dreadmill day. Speed work out (I hate trying to run fast on a dreadmill).
Listening mix:
Daytrotter Sessions-
1. Clem Snide (amazing)
2. Deerhoof (Even more amazing as its all acoustic)

High On Fire

Bolt Thrower

The Budos Band

Its supposed to get crazy cold and -25 degree windchill, so we will see what happens when I do my back half of the week long runs.

Modern Day Adonis

Reaction score
It's been a little while, this week has been absolutely crazy... Ran a PR of 1:59 in the 4x800, ran 4:31.04c from altitude and kinda jogged the 4x4 (54) The mile wasn't nearly as fast as I had hoped but it's okay for early season and after running the 800 the night before. Had a solid workout yesterday, 3 miles climbing from 490-684 in the first 2 miles then from 684-740. Splits were 5:17, 5:35, 5:26. Pictures as promised, the heat in the mile was pretty crazy...6 Africans, 2 Hispanics, and 2 white guys. We were the two white guys, hah. My count may be off but it was something similar, lots of imported talent. But it was a fun race nonetheless. http://i.min.us/ibZQF2.JPG http://i.min.us/ibZQF2.JPG http://i.min.us/icep1Y.JPG Hopefully everyone's running is going well, we are going to Tech again this weekend. I'll be racing the 1200 leg of the DMR, the open 800, and the 3k. Should go well and I enjoy racing, even if I'm not fresh. It usually makes for a good workout stimulus.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool Pictures MDA. And I was going to mention that my five miles today @ 7:00 felt fast. Back to my corner
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a quick (well, by my standards) 4-miler in 27:39. I kept it steady at 7-minute pace until the last mile, and was surprised to bring it in that quickly.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cool pics, MDA. Thanks for posting them!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow Thomas...you are getting really fast.

I figured I would run in the "warmth" of the day.
We have a windchill warning and are expecting windchills of -30 tonight.
So, why not run @ 2:30 pm right?

Well, it was perfect running east, I put down a 22:47 5K, stopped in town for a few sips of water, and turned west to head home, and then it hit me....the wind.
Wearing a Northface base layer zip neck and a Saucony running vest, a light pair of tights, gloves and hat were far from sufficient to keep near warm.
My lungs burned and my lips, face, nose, and legs went numb, no matter how fast I ran (seemed to get colder the faster I tried to run). I had frozen snot all over my face (that I couldnt feel) and all over my hat.
Needless to say my return 3.1 miles was not fast, nor really enjoyable.

Im pretty happy I am heading to Santa Barbara on Sunday.....

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 miles, hopefully absorbed some vitamins in the brief 2-3 minutes of sunlight I enjoyed. Seasonal Affective Disorder FTW.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid 9er last night in just under an hour. (6:36/miles)
The splits felt easy, although I was feeling acid or something in my throat from a ****** chopped salad I ate at dinner.
Easy run planned today - its real warm in S0-Cal So I will wait 'til dusk.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a solid 10 in on some of the "trails" along the santa ana river.
Kept it right around my goal marathon pace. . . . 6:46

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Wow Thomas...you are getting really fast.

I figured I would run in the "warmth" of the day.
We have a windchill warning and are expecting windchills of -30 tonight.
So, why not run @ 2:30 pm right?

Well, it was perfect running east, I put down a 22:47 5K, stopped in town for a few sips of water, and turned west to head home, and then it hit me....the wind.
Wearing a Northface base layer zip neck and a Saucony running vest, a light pair of tights, gloves and hat were far from sufficient to keep near warm.
My lungs burned and my lips, face, nose, and legs went numb, no matter how fast I ran (seemed to get colder the faster I tried to run). I had frozen snot all over my face (that I couldnt feel) and all over my hat.
Needless to say my return 3.1 miles was not fast, nor really enjoyable.

Im pretty happy I am heading to Santa Barbara on Sunday.....

Jeebus, that kind of weather would see tears freezing on my cheeks as I looked for a phone to call for a rescue car. How do you deal with that? I think I'd flip out and give up running. maybe.

Originally Posted by samblackbones
Got a solid 10 in on some of the "trails" along the santa ana river.
Kept it right around my goal marathon pace. . . . 6:46

Sam, I've got to ask: how is it that you have such a wide spread between your 'quick' times and your 'slow' times? For me, a spread of 50 seconds/mile is the difference between steady-state (12-miler) and holding-on-for-dear-life.

olualbert

Reaction score
4 miles in 30mins at a slow pace.....hopefully to get to 5miles in half at the end of the month.....after which i had ripped it off with some strength training. Back tomorrow....

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More Snow = More Dreadmill 5.95 miles in 50:00 (avg. 8:24 min/mi) Today's playlist: YOB (from The Great Cessation) "Burning the Altar" "The Lie That Is Sin" "Silence of Heaven" "Breathing From the Shallows" "The Great Cessation"

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Jeebus, that kind of weather would see tears freezing on my cheeks as I looked for a phone to call for a rescue car. How do you deal with that? I think I'd flip out and give up running. maybe.

Sam, I've got to ask: how is it that you have such a wide spread between your 'quick' times and your 'slow' times? For me, a spread of 50 seconds/mile is the difference between steady-state (12-miler) and holding-on-for-dear-life.

Hmmm I try to train at least in part along the Jack Daniels (running coach not liquor) pace formula
which indicates sort of a 7:45 pace for long slow/recovery runs, a 6:47 marathon pace and a 6:17 or faster interval pace. Additionally having gone from running without a garmin to running with one has led me to focus a bit more and really try to moderate/push(probably too much pushing!) I think that right now in my fitness a 6:47 pace is what my body runs naturally, while if I totally let up I end up about a minute slower.
To check out you VDOT pace calculator go to this link and enter into a recent race time in.
http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html

Today I ran 9.0 in 59:20 - right around that 6:45 pace

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
Hmmm I try to train at least in part along the Jack Daniels (running coach not liquor) pace formula which indicates sort of a 7:45 pace for long slow/recovery runs, a 6:47 marathon pace and a 6:17 or faster interval pace. Additionally having gone from running without a garmin to running with one has led me to focus a bit more and really try to moderate/push(probably too much pushing!) I think that right now in my fitness a 6:47 pace is what my body runs naturally, while if I totally let up I end up about a minute slower. To check out you VDOT pace calculator go to this link and enter into a recent race time in. http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html Today I ran 9.0 in 59:20 - right around that 6:45 pace
Okay, that makes sense, but I was more curious about how you got to a sub-6 5k pace, when your natural VDOT hovers around 6:45. It seems that there was a strength-based component to your training at some point that helped you develop your short-distance speed. Did you do hillwork, or short intervals, or jump-rope, or something else? ... today, btw: 31 degrees outside and I procrastinated terribly. 2.7 miles, 19 minutes. First loop was a good bit faster than the second.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics