• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coldforge

Reaction score
Can anybody report on how warm the FW '10 chesterfield coats are? I wouldn't mind picking one up on sale if it would be as warm as my quilt-lined (but rather shapeless) J Crew walking coat.

coldforge

Reaction score
So I decided to pick one up anyway. It's definitely a fair sight better looking than the J Crew. Word to the wise—Chesterfield though this might be, it's not really designed to be worn as an overcoat. The sizing was exactly the same as their blazers. But I just sized up to the large and it fits well enough over my Steven Alan tweed sportcoat, so I figure it's a doable proposition.

max-t

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be there on the 26th when they put out the new j stuff so whoever needs proxy let me know.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any slim straight (T-001 I think?) black raw selvedge jeans in the NYC store? Or was that just a summer thing?

airblaster503

Reaction score
Originally Posted by max-t
I'll be there on the 26th when they put out the new j stuff so whoever needs proxy let me know.

hmmm might have to take you up on this. Kind of want the blue military jacket

The-thin-man

Reaction score
I like last years collection better, but it's hard finding a good fit for a tall guy.

Matt44

Reaction score
Just got a few items shipped to me . . .

Two pairs of the Vintage Chino flat front pants (gray and olive). Item link:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/explorer.ht...066970-000-04/

Nice material, not lightweight. Somewhere between slim and straight fit. There's a slight taper below the knee which doesn't work for me. Also, the chino material has a slight sheen to it (especially in the gray). Sort of a satiny effect, which might soften after washing, but maybe not. I'm on the line about these pants, but I'll probably return them.

Western Long Sleeve Shirt (dark blue, there's also a light blue):

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/explorer.ht...067251-000-65/

Nice shirt, darker shade than I expected. Slimmer cut. The sleeves around the wrist/forearm are really slim, to the extent that I can't roll up above the elbow (size Large, and I have average sized forearms, I think). Small gripe maybe, but I'll be returning.

Also picked up two V-neck sweaters: a lambswool (gray) and one of the Middle Gauge cashmeres. Fortunately, both were on sale -- the lambswool was $19.95 (down from $29) and the cashmere was $79 (down from $149!). Here's the lambswool:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/explorer.ht...063881-000-03/

The lambswool isn't bad, good material (a little scratchy, but it's lambswool), nice color. But for a Large, it was too large. Medium might have been better. Returning it.

No link for the Middle gauge cashmere, but I'm happy to say it's a nice item. Solid material (and hopefully construction), and nice fit (Large). Glad I waited for the discounted price. I'm keeping it.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
What's the leg opening on them? I have an older pair in 32 that has an 8.5" leg opening.

Originally Posted by Matt44

Nice material, not lightweight. Somewhere between slim and straight fit. There's a slight taper below the knee which doesn't work for me. Also, the chino material has a slight sheen to it (especially in the gray). Sort of a satiny effect, which might soften after washing, but maybe not. I'm on the line about these pants, but I'll probably return them.

Matt44

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
What's the leg opening on them? I have an older pair in 32 that has an 8.5" leg opening.

These were 34 and the opening is 8.25. Not exactly slim, but I was hoping for a little straighter below the knee.

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
measurements on a pair of this seasons 32x34 Vintage Chinos

waist: 16.5
thigh: 12.5"
knee: 9"
hem: 8.2"
inseam: 33.5"

fyi: the washed version feel a little bit more snug IMO

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sheen on the vintage chinos definitely wears off with washing and wear. I just tried taking a picture to compare but it doesn't show up well on camera. I've been wearing my pair for about a year and it's one of my favorite pair of pants. Might get a pair in black if I'm ever needed to wear black pants as part of a uniform.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Which shirts are you talking about?

I'm just picking up oxfords before they (possibly) raise prices again.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
The new shirts they have coming in look so terrible and cheap. I am really missing old uniqlo.

muji is still pretty good, just not enough variety and fits are sometimes too boxy

Chubbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt44

Western Long Sleeve Shirt (dark blue, there's also a light blue):

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/explorer.ht...067251-000-65/

Nice shirt, darker shade than I expected. Slimmer cut. The sleeves around the wrist/forearm are really slim, to the extent that I can't roll up above the elbow (size Large, and I have average sized forearms, I think). Small gripe maybe, but I'll be returning.

Also picked up two V-neck sweaters: a lambswool (gray) and one of the Middle Gauge cashmeres. Fortunately, both were on sale -- the lambswool was $19.95 (down from $29) and the cashmere was $79 (down from $149!). Here's the lambswool:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/explorer.ht...063881-000-03/

The lambswool isn't bad, good material (a little scratchy, but it's lambswool), nice color. But for a Large, it was too large. Medium might have been better. Returning it.

No link for the Middle gauge cashmere, but I'm happy to say it's a nice item. Solid material (and hopefully construction), and nice fit (Large). Glad I waited for the discounted price. I'm keeping it.

Matt, did you just call them to place your order? I've only ever bought from them directly at their store in NY, but I'm out of town for the next few months. I've been having trouble getting ahold of anyone there.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads