• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

TheChefs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by threepedals
Thanks, I'll definitely give the polish a try. If I had to buy them again I think I would go with the black cherry as I think the worn and darkened caps would blend better than the cigar color.

You could apply dark brown polish all over the boot to darken it

boibleu22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by threepedals
New to the forum, but this thread convinced me to pull purchase a pair of Cigar GTs. I've been wearing them every day since November putting a minimum of 3 miles of Boston commuting miles on them every day. Overall I love them, they handle the commute great, but look good in the office as well.

I know they are just fancy work boots, but this color hasn't held up quite as well as I was expecting. The issue is that any scuff becomes very dark due to the snowseal waterproofing. Even with the waterproofing the leather will wick water up from near the sole resulting in wet salty water staining the boot.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to blend the scuffing on the toe of the boot? I wish the contrast between scuffed area and upper section wasn't as dramatic. Maybe a brown polish? I would be ok with the entire boot becoming darker just the even out the patina.

I've also started to get close to wearing out the front of the sole, should I look into getting these resoled already? or do you think they will last a little longer.

Thanks in advance, below are some pics

IMGP3795.JPG

Geeze! I've had mine for almost as long and they still look brand new!

threepedals

Reaction score
Looks great, that color wears really well.

Sometimes I wonder if I squeezed into a smaller size, the front caps would have less wear. Unfortunately my daily walk is through 100 year old brink and cobblestone sidewalks in Boston, and hitting my toes is inevitable in any pair of shoes.

Notverystylish

Reaction score
This forum has been so helpful I feel the need to give back.

I bought a pair of GTs the other day. Here's how they fit in the Nudie Slim Jims. They are the cigar color.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Love the pics of the beat-up GTs

Truly a boot that looks better w/ age, and w/ some nicks and scratches

arced

Reaction score
Has anyone used Pecard's Leather Oil on their GT's? I have a pair that's quite beat up and I was thinking about applying it, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BIGBERTHA
Kind of dig these pics I took of my GTs.
Uz6IHl.jpg

SzbeVl.jpg

A9VgWl.jpg

Holy crap!!! Those are gorgeous!!!!!!! Are those enough exclamation points to get across exactly how much I covet those boots?

mikeeeey

Reaction score
thought i would post these in this thread also: During my trip:
P1080145-tile.jpg
After the trip (Now its about 1 week since the first wear)
P1080536-tile.jpg
wore this pair when its brand new (not really brand new, wore it for a few hours days before my trip and set off when its hardly broken in. my feet survived) and boy its comfortable..

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Here are my GTs at about 5 months Don't really baby them, as you can tell, but that's the way I like it
ncWFp.jpg

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man! Some great pics of GT's in here. I don't have any real close ups, but here's today's fit (x post from SNS thread). Thought I'd throw it in. About of year of use, not super hard (no snow) but plenty of rain and decent hikes.

IMG_1092.jpg

mikeeeey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oboy_oboy
Man! Some great pics of GT's in here. I don't have any real close ups, but here's today's fit (x post from SNS thread). Thought I'd throw it in. About of year of use, not super hard (no snow) but plenty of rain and decent hikes.

IMG_1092.jpg

nice!

did you put any protection or treatment (obenauf, mink oil and such) on your boots?

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I did a coat of Obenauf's after about 6 months of use thinking I'd let the leather get a little broken in to better absorb it, but I probably should have done it right away, and more regularly. I don't have as pronounced toe-scuff/color change as boibleu22 but it seems that's the direction it's headed. i think the eary and often approach helps to mitigate this, but heavy use in wet/snowy weather probably leads to that over time.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toe scuffs just happen on work boots. With or without Obenauf's. Best to just roll with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads