• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares on news men - why usually not

Sonny58

Reaction score
Brian Williams wore a pocket square on the Nightly News for the first time that I have noticed. It seems that most news men don't wear them which seems odd to me. Dressing well is part of their job after all.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dont watch football, but every time the panel of commentators on those roundup shows come on, these guys are always wearing matching satin ties with giant mt_spiffy knots and matching squares.... terrible.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a weather man on my local news who looks like he takes clothing advice from this site / GQ. Ultra slim suit, conservative ties, pocket square. Poor guy can't do his weather man gestures, because his jacket's too tight.
confused.gif

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
General answer is because most guys on TV dress like ****. Although Matt Lauer dresses well, mostly Charvet, I have read, even he is not big on them. Al Roker does, though. It's pretty much a matter of personal taste and for many guys, pocket squares are just considered too fussy and they don't know how to complement an outfit with one, much less insert it properly. How's that for a rambling answer?!

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rachel Maddow seems like a pretty cool dude, and I think she'd look good (and perhaps kind of groundbreaking) if she wore a pocket square. So I emailed her and said so. You'll be surprised to know I haven't heard back from her on that as of yet.

Profacio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I dont watch football, but every time the panel of commentators on those roundup shows come on, these guys are always wearing matching satin ties with giant mt_spiffy knots and matching squares.... terrible.

Watching the bears game last weekend, there were 5 guys, and 4 of them were doing the satin square/tie combo..each with a different color of the rainbow. Totally cracked me up.

The only one that looked half decent was Michael Strahan, who wore a 3 piece and did his own thing. However, they were missing a red to complete their spectrum of ugliness..Michael should have conformed.

Raralith

Reaction score
I've been recording Nightline for I don't know how long, and right before the show, the channel 7 news in Los Angeles has a middle aged, white male with glasses that always wears a good suit, tie, and tasteful pocket square; I hope someone else can remember his name. With the exception of the weather man, I can't think of any anchors that don't wear one? I do find though that a pocket square is part of a good suit, and I definately agree that dressing the part is what news anchors should do. Maybe it's a regional thing which than makes it very odd as Los Angeles is an extremely relaxed region.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
Rachel Maddow seems like a pretty cool dude, and I think she'd look good (and perhaps kind of groundbreaking) if she wore a pocket square. So I emailed her and said so. You'll be surprised to know I haven't heard back from her on that as of yet.

I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but Rachel is a 5' 11" Rhodes Scholar
who happens to be gay.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
The exception to the "Guys on TV don't know how to dress well" rule is Charlie Rose. Straight ballin' Purple Label man.

Matt S

Reaction score
Back in the day all anchormen wore pockets square. Tom Brokaw and Peter Jenning always wore them. Chuck Scarborough of NBC News in New York always wears a pocket square in what appears to be his bespoke suits. These days most of his suits are single-breasted peak lapel. He has a beautiful grey birdseye suit that always stands out when he wears it. I turn him on just to say what he's wearing.

Sonny58

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
General answer is because most guys on TV dress like ****. Although Matt Lauer dresses well, mostly Charvet, I have read, even he is not big on them. Al Roker does, though. It's pretty much a matter of personal taste and for many guys, pocket squares are just considered too fussy and they don't know how to complement an outfit with one, much less insert it properly. How's that for a rambling answer?!

This surprises me. I'd expect some sort of dress code for a job like this. Perhaps there is one and it doesn't include pocket squares though.

Originally Posted by Unrefinery
Originally Posted by comrade
I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but Rachel is a 5' 11" Rhodes Scholar
who happens to be gay.

She has a deeper voice than many anchor men.

Originally Posted by Raralith
I've been recording Nightline for I don't know how long, and right before the show, the channel 7 news in Los Angeles has a middle aged, white male with glasses that always wears a good suit, tie, and tasteful pocket square; I hope someone else can remember his name. With the exception of the weather man, I can't think of any anchors that don't wear one? I do find though that a pocket square is part of a good suit, and I definately agree that dressing the part is what news anchors should do. Maybe it's a regional thing which than makes it very odd as Los Angeles is an extremely relaxed region.

I'm not sure about the regional thing. But I would expect a national news anchor to adhere to a higher standard. And as far as I know Brian is the only male network national news anchor these days (Diane Sawyer and Katie Couric being the two).

Originally Posted by Matt S
Back in the day all anchormen wore pockets square. Tom Brokaw and Peter Jenning always wore them. Chuck Scarborough of NBC News in New York always wears a pocket square in what appears to be his bespoke suits. These days most of his suits are single-breasted peak lapel. He has a beautiful grey birdseye suit that always stands out when he wears it. I turn him on just to say what he's wearing.

Yes, I think Chuck Scarborough always looks good.

Perhaps Brian has been lurking on SF and is becoming enlightened.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads