• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darlton wingtips

Causidicus

Reaction score
I've had a pair of these for about a year now and have been brushing them with a horse hair brush for cleaning. It's time for some real care, but when I contacted Ralph Lauren they said they do not give out care/maintenance tips for their products.

Any idea who makes these for RL? I've read some older posts about putting wax on your finger and applying to scuffs, but that sounds a bit amateurish for a $795 pair of shoes, and I don't want to screw this up.

mickeymickey

Reaction score
Crockett & Jones makes them. I'm not sure shoe maintenance is any different just because the shoes are more expensive though. I'd assume if you're buying cordovan shoes you probably know at least a little bit about maintenance at this point. In fact the advice you stated is the recommended advice for shell cordovan shoes.

malat

Reaction score
I've never let wax touch my Darltons. Wet rag to wipe off dirt, cotton cloth for cleaning, and then some intense brushing with a horsehair brush and they still shine like new.

khaki sack

Reaction score
Of course if you're really serious, boar's head bristles work best.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by malat
I've never let wax touch my Darltons. Wet rag to wipe off dirt, cotton cloth for cleaning, and then some intense brushing with a horsehair brush and they still shine like new.
This plus a little wax after every dozen or so wearings is what I do.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
This plus a little wax after every dozen or so wearings is what I do.

What brand and color wax? I'm thinking of picking up some Safir but not sure what color i should go with.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salad
What brand and color wax? I'm thinking of picking up some Safir but not sure what color i should go with.
Brown wax works well. I've used wax from Alden as well as Kiwi. Whatever you use, apply it sparingly and infrequently.

Reaction score
Check AAAC for the Mac method to care for shell shoes.

Causidicus

Reaction score
Based on an earlier post that these are made for RL by Crockett and Jones, I sent C&J an email requesting care instructions. Not very informative, but this is their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail, we would recommend using a coloured
shoe cream on the shoes and shoetrees to be kept in the shoe
when not worn. See attached maintenance for shoe care.

We can dispatch shoes to you directly also or see our new
Mail Order Catalogue, as attached.

If however you know the styles that you would like you may e-mail,
fax or phone your order and credit card details to our Mail Order Dept.

Please be sure to include the credit card expiry date, billing address
and the last three digits form the number on the back of the card.
This will help us to promptly forward your order to you.

Any questions you have can be e-mailed, phoned 020 7929 2111
or faxed 020 7929 0110 to myself at Mail Order Dept.

Thank you.

Mr HUQSTABLE
MANAGER
(Crockett & Jones, Mail Order Dept.)

The care guide just recommends the common sense things like use shoe trees and horns, cream to nourish the leather, wax to protect and shine, don't wear the shoes on consecutive days, etc.

Reaction score
That fellow Mac on AAAC has at least fifty pairs of Alden shells. I kid you not. He posts a picture everyday of what he is wearing, and the shine is always spectacular. Heed his advice. I use his method too.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Causidicus
Based on an earlier post that these are made for RL by Crockett and Jones, I sent C&J an email requesting care instructions. Not very informative, but this is their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail, we would recommend using a coloured
shoe cream on the shoes and shoetrees to be kept in the shoe
when not worn. See attached maintenance for shoe care.

We can dispatch shoes to you directly also or see our new
Mail Order Catalogue, as attached.

If however you know the styles that you would like you may e-mail,
fax or phone your order and credit card details to our Mail Order Dept.

Please be sure to include the credit card expiry date, billing address
and the last three digits form the number on the back of the card.
This will help us to promptly forward your order to you.

Any questions you have can be e-mailed, phoned 020 7929 2111
or faxed 020 7929 0110 to myself at Mail Order Dept.

Thank you.

Mr HUQSTABLE
MANAGER
(Crockett & Jones, Mail Order Dept.)

The care guide just recommends the common sense things like use shoe trees and horns, cream to nourish the leather, wax to protect and shine, don't wear the shoes on consecutive days, etc.

for fuqs sake, do what huqs says.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads