• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
Maybe you should read rather than write.
Maybe you should do the same. There is a difference between a store trying to sell a torn shirt with a gigantic stain on it for 7.99, and having most of their inventory balled up on the floor and a store that is somewhat picky with what they will offer for sale, and actually ******* clean the place once in a while. That's all I'm trying to get at. I'm not being a brand snob, just tired of looking at ripped and stained ****, having kids run into me, hearing nothing but Spanish, and half the inventory on the floor in piles.
ffffuuuu.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I'm a regular here and it has it's ups and downs. More downs as of late, though. Makes me kinda sad, as this thread is where most of my time is spent here on SF. Wish we could go back to how it used to be.
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
I'm not being a brand snob, just tired of looking at ripped and stained ****, having kids run into me, hearing nothing but Spanish, and half the inventory on the floor in piles.
ffffuuuu.gif

Then you're not looking for a thrift store, you're looking for a consignment shop or second hand boutique. Almost every thrift store I've been to had at least 2 of the 4 things you've described.

rayxlui

Reaction score
Maybe you should do the same. There is a difference between a store trying to sell a torn shirt with a gigantic stain on it for 7.99, and having most of their inventory balled up on the floor and a store that is somewhat picky with what they will offer for sale, and actually ******* clean the place once in a while. That's all I'm trying to get at. I'm not being a brand snob, just tired of looking at ripped and stained ****, having kids run into me, hearing nothing but Spanish, and half the inventory on the floor in piles.
ffffuuuu.gif

Like my math professor says, the only way you can find out is to go check it out yourself. No need to be a douche.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^

I'm a regular here and it has it's ups and downs. More downs as of late, though. Makes me kinda sad, as this thread is where most of my time is spent here on SF. Wish we could go back to how it used to be.

Then you're not looking for a thrift store, you're looking for a consignment shop or second hand boutique. Almost every thrift store I've been to had at least 2 of the 4 things you've described.

Yes, that is true and it isn't. I have been to several clean well kept thrift stores with quality (not torn and stained) items. Sorry for being dickish (is that even a word? lol), but to call someone out for no reason and for something you know NOTHING about is very petty and pretty ridiculous. If someone doesn't have something worthwhile to contribute to a post or thread, it is probably best to just not contribute anything IMO.

Originally Posted by rayxlui
Like my math professor says, the only way you can find out is to go check it out yourself. No need to be a douche.

i have done a lot of looking myself, just figured if someone knew of a good spot they might share. I don't know how defending yourself is being a douche lol.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

I'm a regular here and it has it's ups and downs. More downs as of late, though. Makes me kinda sad, as this thread is where most of my time is spent here on SF. Wish we could go back to how it used to be.

Nat,

what do you mean by "wish we could go back to how it used to be"?

Was it that different before the market crash?

RedRaider

Reaction score
folks, folks, folks...can't we all get along.

I thrifted briefly in the DFW area until I moved to Cali. It's full of plenty of thrift stores, especially on the FW side of things. Check out stuff in the mid cities or even close by. I've thrifted in Plano too, not bad at all. You really just have to find the stores that are stronger than others and keep going back to them. You'll end up finding some good stuff.

Part of thrifting is find the 'best' stores and it's part of the fun of all of it. I can't remember the exact names of any stores in DFW, but there are a ton and you should spend a Sunday scoping them out and going on a little adventure. Good Luck.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedRaider
folks, folks, folks...can't we all get along.

I thrifted briefly in the DFW area until I moved to Cali. It's full of plenty of thrift stores, especially on the FW side of things. Check out stuff in the mid cities or even close by. I've thrifted in Plano too, not bad at all. You really just have to find the stores that are stronger than others and keep going back to them. You'll end up finding some good stuff.

Part of thrifting is find the 'best' stores and it's part of the fun of all of it. I can't remember the exact names of any stores in DFW, but there are a ton and you should spend a Sunday scoping them out and going on a little adventure. Good Luck.

I live in Frisco so i have found some cool places in plano, mckinney, carrollton etc...went to hurst and euless today and didnt find a single thing lol..... BUT i did stop by a stereo shop and spend 400 bucks on some jl audio w3's
biggrin.gif
. Where in California did you move? I moved here from San Jose almost 4 years ago.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Nat, what do you mean by "wish we could go back to how it used to be"? Was it that different before the market crash?
Well, actually I take that back. There used to be very little negativity in this thread. Then again, all it consisted of is us posting our finds and nothing more. I think it's safe to say we have a little community within a community here in the thrifting thread. It's grown over the past few years and now we actually have discussions and even share our off-topic interests. With the good comes the bad. I like that we're a little closer-knit community than before, but when we share and post more, there is more that is said that someone may or may not agree with.
Yes, that is true and it isn't. I have been to several clean well kept thrift stores with quality (not torn and stained) items. Sorry for being dickish (is that even a word? lol), but to call someone out for no reason and for something you know NOTHING about is very petty and pretty ridiculous. If someone doesn't have something worthwhile to contribute to a post or thread, it is probably best to just not contribute anything IMO.
It's generally an unwritten rule here that you just don't ask people "where are the hot spots". No offense, but you're probably not going to get any answers anyway. You didn't know that, so don't worry about it. Just move on. Let's get back to sharing finds. That is all.

rayxlui

Reaction score
i have done a lot of looking myself, just figured if someone knew of a good spot they might share. I don't know how defending yourself is being a douche lol.

You have to see it in a different perspective, your asking for the shortcut, when everyone else has used their own time to go find it themselves. It's essentially cheating in the thrifting game. I've gone to stores everyday and came out with nothing for weeks, but when I find something it's that much more rewarding.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll admit, I've asked others where they thrifted at in the beginning not knowing the unwritten rule. All said to try it out and "search", which I did. I now have my favorite spots.

I still ask members via a pm if they can give insight in return for my "info". Some have let me know, some havent.

I will say this though. I will not ever give my spots out to people 1. I dont know and 2. flippers. Honestly, I think the only person I would give "info" to without anything in return would be Nantaku b/c he's helped me a lot.

As someone said, google it. You win some and you lose some.

Cheers

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Looks like I missed some drama. Thrift stores are thrift stores for a reason. They're not for everyone. Some people just find them too icky. If you want good deals without thrifting there are outlets, ebay and B&S.

Sometimes it's just thrifting burnout. Take a little time off, hit it again in a couple of weeks or a month.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
It's generally an unwritten rule here that you just don't ask people "where are the hot spots". No offense, but you're probably not going to get any answers anyway. You didn't know that, so don't worry about it. Just move on. Let's get back to sharing finds.

That is all.

Sounds good to me

Originally Posted by rayxlui
You have to see it in a different perspective, your asking for the shortcut, when everyone else has used their own time to go find it themselves. It's essentially cheating in the thrifting game. I've gone to stores everyday and came out with nothing for weeks, but when I find something it's that much more rewarding.

Well you learn something new every day i guess LOL

Originally Posted by k4lnamja
I'll admit, I've asked others where they thrifted at in the beginning not knowing the unwritten rule. All said to try it out and "search", which I did. I now have my favorite spots.

I still ask members via a pm if they can give insight in return for my "info". Some have let me know, some havent.

I will say this though. I will not ever give my spots out to people 1. I dont know and 2. flippers. Honestly, I think the only person I would give "info" to without anything in return would be Nantaku b/c he's helped me a lot.

As someone said, google it. You win some and you lose some.

Cheers

it is definitely rewarding when you find a cool spot. Sorry for cheating LOL

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Looks like I missed some drama. Thrift stores are thrift stores for a reason. They're not for everyone. Some people just find them too icky. If you want good deals without thrifting there are outlets, ebay and B&S.

Sometimes it's just thrifting burnout. Take a little time off, hit it again in a couple of weeks or a month.

Yea i think i just do it too much trying to one up the last cool thing i found lol. Maybe instead of thrfting i should actually get some studying done so i can get my damn insurance license
teacha.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I always leave Botany 500 on the rack.

Recent Botany 500 is meh, but the older stuff with the label "Botany 500 tailored by Daroff" was well made and very popular in the postwar years. The golden period was from the late 40s or early 50s until the late 60s or early 70s. You can see some ads here from their Ivy League period.

Still stands as quality vintage wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads