• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
If ever a store has lost their mojo....

I don't see how Henry Bucks will survive in a the next few decades. Whenever I go there I'm usually the only guy under 50. They sell a tired look to a generation that is almost retired. I don't see young barristers/doctors (i.e. under 40) queuing up to get fitted out at Henry Bucks.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
I don't see how Henry Bucks will survive in a the next few decades. Whenever I go there I'm usually the only guy under 50. They sell a tired look to a generation that is almost retired. I don't see young barristers/doctors (i.e. under 40) queuing up to get fitted out at Henry Bucks.

All of the above...the store is tired and disorganized in style and there does not seem to be a particular aesthetic other than boring and overpriced...the occasional gem...but even the sales have lost interest for me.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Aside from this does anyone know a good milliner or hat shop in Sydney or Canberra? I went to Stand Hatters in Sydney recently and bought an Akubra Stylemaster, even then the SA was more focused on a sale than advice. I need to get it blocked into the shape I want.

That is strange...Rob - the boss at Strand Hatters - is a trained milliner and any time I have gone in there he has steamed up the customer's preferred bash or suggested something appropriate.

There is also a milliner at Double Bay that does blocking I believe.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Anyone interested in a 40R Hickey Freeman seersucker blazer before I ebay it?
My size but I just bought a new seersucker last week... not a common look in Syd, but we should rock it more especially as the temps hit 30-40C with 90% humidity...

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Sator - I'm going to NYC in 2 weeks myself. Got any decent reccomendations beyond the usual Century 21 etc etc hype?

Cheers.

I suggest taking a trip out to the outlet at Woodbury Commons. It's an hour or more on a coach from Manhatten. Holders of a New York Pass will get a ~10% discount off the coach fare.

There is a Brioni outlet there, as well as Saks Off 5th Ave. There are two RL stores - one stocks the better RLPL or a bit lower stuff, and the other the lower end junk made in the same Chinese factories that make for any number of Australian labels. I didn't really look at the men's stuff there - most of the shopping was for her. So don't ask me if the Brooks Brothers store there has any Golden Fleece suits.

If you take your other 'alf there, beware the Ferragamo store (fear for your wallet). In terms price/value the ladies' Ferragamo shoes and clothes were excellent. But that's not what you are interested in...

The Cucinelli and Loro Piana tailored garments are poor value.

When you can go bespoke locally with better workmanship than on any Brioni, Kiton, RLPL etc I personally don't even see why you would even want to look at anything in NYC myself. I've seen Raphael Raphaeli (Savile Row NY) bespoke garments (I have one lined up to dissect on my forum) up close and it's good but the local tailors are more than his equal.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
When you can go bespoke locally with better workmanship than on any Brioni, Kiton, RLPL etc I personally don't even see why you would even want to look at anything in NYC myself. I've seen Raphael Raphaeli (Savile Row NY) bespoke garments (I have one lined up to dissect on my forum) up close and it's good but the local tailors are more than his equal.

+1 well said.

ryanohare

Reaction score
I suggest taking a trip out to the outlet at Woodbury Commons. It's an hour or more on a coach from Manhatten. Holders of a New York Pass will get a ~10% discount off the coach fare.

There is a Brioni outlet there, as well as Saks Off 5th Ave. There are two RL stores - one stocks the better RLPL or a bit lower stuff, and the other the lower end junk made in the same Chinese factories that make for any number of Australian labels. I didn't really look at the men's stuff there - most of the shopping was for her. So don't ask me if the Brooks Brothers store there has any Golden Fleece suits.

If you take your other 'alf there, beware the Ferragamo store (fear for your wallet). In terms price/value the ladies' Ferragamo shoes and clothes were excellent. But that's not what you are interested in...

Cheers.

I went to WC last year when in NY, and tbh didn't see an awful lot that caught my eye. I got a pair of Emporio Armani brogues which were well reduced, but that as about it.

I didn't really think it was worth the hour odd trip out there in fact.

Still, cheers anyway.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
My size but I just bought a new seersucker last week... not a common look in Syd, but we should rock it more especially as the temps hit 30-40C with 90% humidity...

I don't know which of you guys ordered it, but I saw Adamo working on a seersucker lounge about a month ago. It's was good to see something different. Adamo said that it used to be popular but that it was nice to see it make a comeback.

Personally, I think that modern tropical weight wools are the best if coolness is your priority. In the old days they had to use things like linen, seersucker etc as woollens were always heavy and ran warmer. However, technology has caught up and wool can now be woven very lightly.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley

+1. I almost purchased a Seersucker jacket late last year from Ralph Lauren but it was full price

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Cheers.

I went to WC last year when in NY, and tbh didn't see an awful lot that caught my eye. I got a pair of Emporio Armani brogues which were well reduced, but that as about it.

I didn't really think it was worth the hour odd trip out there in fact.

Still, cheers anyway.

Why on earth would you buy Armani in NYC? You can get that rubbish here. Just because it is cheaper there doesn't make it any the less rubbishy. Armani lasts are pimpish, the leather quality third rate, the built quality totally mediocre. If you are going to all the way to NYC the least you could do is buy EG, Lobbs or something decent that is really hard to get here.
ffffuuuu.gif

Personally, I think that if you can afford to make multiple trips to NYC it's almost criminal to overlook the excellent tailors we have here to go gallivanting on the other side of the fence falsely imagining it is greener.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Leffot is worth having a look. http://www.leffot.com/

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
That is strange...Rob - the boss at Strand Hatters - is a trained milliner and any time I have gone in there he has steamed up the customer's preferred bash or suggested something appropriate.

There is also a milliner at Double Bay that does blocking I believe.

Do you have the name of the milliner in Double Bay and my understanding is that Strand Hatters changed hands, mind you it was about 12 years ago that I bought my first Akubra there and only went back at Xmas.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think that modern tropical weight wools are the best if coolness is your priority. In the old days they had to use things like linen, seersucker etc as woollens were always heavy and ran warmer. However, technology has caught up and wool can now be woven very lightly.

You're right as always. I take SS as a good way to stay cool and also 'look' cool which is what tropical wool tries to do the opposite of. The latter is designed to keep you cool in reality while still looking the part for business etc. as if it were a cool European climate.

Seersucker unashamedly says it's hot and you are dressing for the season. Not everyone can get away with SS at work, but for those who can I think it makes a nice contrast to more run-of-the mill woollen fabrics - and casual enough for smart social engagements.

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Anyone interested in a 40R Hickey Freeman seersucker blazer before I ebay it?

Any chance of a pic and some measurements jaypee? Some OTR 40Rs are ok on me, others not. Ta.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lennier
Any chance of a pic and some measurements jaypee? Some OTR 40Rs are ok on me, others not. Ta.

+1 - interested.

I am rocking my linen suit of questionable colour today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads