• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
I also watched this last week, and I thought it was brilliant. Most people will either have a love/hate relationship with Kaufman stories, which is not surprising. It's definitely not a film to be watched for entertainment purposes, but rather for artistic value/appreciation. This is why most casual moviegoers hate it while cinephiles are in love with it. Calling it confusing would be an understatement though, and I'm not sure I can sit through repeat viewings to catch all that I missed. Philip Seymour Hoffman never fails to disappoint either and he's easily one of the top 3 actors in the business.

Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Bolded sentence is bizarre and totally fucked up.

Recently: Naked Lunch, Wild Strawberries, Exit Wounds, Chinatown

this totally cracked me up. who watches Wild Strawberries or Naked Lunch for their entertainment value?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
What else would you watch them for?

'Artistic value'?

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
'Artistic value'?

I'm a bit confused by the idea of seperating 'artistic value' from 'entertainment.' I mean, if it has artistic value, wouldn't you expect it to be entertaining?

Edit: I recognize that there are two distinct ideas here. I just think it's weird to view any piece of art as entirely one or the other. After all, I'm quite sure you're supposed to enjoy art, no matter how 'serious' it is. When you talk about artistic value as distinct from entertainment, I imagine people watching movies that they don't actually enjoy, under some misguided belief that there is some obligation to dutifully sit through this movie because it is serious / important / artistically significant. This strikes me as weird and pointless.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused by the idea of seperating 'artistic value' from 'entertainment.' I mean, if it has artistic value, wouldn't you expect it to be entertaining?

Edit: I recognize that there are two distinct ideas here. I just think it's weird to view any piece of art as entirely one or the other. After all, I'm quite sure you're supposed to enjoy art, no matter how 'serious' it is. When you talk about artistic value as distinct from entertainment, I imagine people watching movies that they don't actually enjoy, under some misguided belief that there is some obligation to dutifully sit through this movie because it is serious / important / artistically significant. This strikes me as weird and pointless.

There are movies, like any other "art", that you are not supposed to enjoy or find pleasurable though.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Big Bang
Eye of the Beholder
Choke
Nine Miles Down
The Town

Next:
Waltz With Bashir
Youth Of The Beast
Eden Log
The Dark Knight

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so Netflix told me that New Jack City would be good. I put it in my queue.

Got the DVD. Popped it in.

At first I was like this is cool. lasted about 5 minutes.

Then was all: well it doesn't suck.

For the final 30 minutes, I was waiting for it it to end.

not sure which if any cliches were left out of the movie.

estlincs

Reaction score
Watched recently:

Salt: thought this was pretty good, i was entertained the whole time.

The Other Guys: i thought this was hysterical.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
What about Elliot Gould?

Yeah, you could make a case for him. My favourite is Little Murders. Bob & Carroll & Ted & Alice is also good (nowhere near my favourite Mazursky, though), but it predates the period. I sort of like to pretend he doesn't exist because he's turned Woody Allen down (same goes for Gervais).

Personally, I would add Jack Lemmon and Jason Robards as two of my other favourites of the "˜70s. I would have loved to have seen Lemmon and Segal in a film together (drama, not comedy).

christinedaae

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta

NJC is the ****.

wasn't supposed to be cliche, it's a true story (for the most part) though about a group based in Detroit, not NYC.

Was a great movie.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta

Originally Posted by christinedaae
NJC is the ****.

wasn't supposed to be cliche, it's a true story (for the most part) though about a group based in Detroit, not NYC.

Was a great movie.

NJC was great when it came out 20-years ago. It probably looks cliched now because other films have done so much of the same stuff.

spencers

Reaction score
Watched a couple indie films last night..

-Catfish
-happythankyoumoreplease

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Watching this tonight...
hudsuckerproxytitlescre.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads