• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatisthe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
^ The shoe is handmade, but that's beyond the pale. Tell J Crew this happened and they should let you ship back for free and exchange.

EDIT: EXCUSE ME it's NOT handmade. It's machine made. MY BAD. George Cleverly's ghost was angry there for a sec.

Thanks for the advice enigma77. I'll call J Crew tomorrow and see if they'll let me exchange them for free.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
j crew has an extremely good customer service policy. i bought a pair of their desert boots and two months later they fell apart, they took the return np and apologized.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
j crew has an extremely good customer service policy. i bought a pair of their desert boots and two months later they fell apart, they took the return np and apologized.

Same here. Over the past two years I have exchanged 3 J. Crew pair of shoes and 1 pair of Aldens, due to defects. No questions asked.

(Made me love JC's customer service, and vow to never buy another pair of J. Crew-branded shoes again. )

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatisthe
Hey styleforum members!

I just received my first pair of Aldens, the J Crew edition Indys. One of the shoes arrived scuffed, as seen in the following pics.

I tried to buff it out with a cloth and leather brush but it had no effect. Would you keep these or return them? It's going to cost me ~$15 or so to return them and reorder them. Is it typical for them to arrive with some imperfections?

I'm not sure that I see a problem, unless you are planning to display them in a glass case. Wear your shoes.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I'm not sure that I see a problem, unless you are planning to display them in a glass case. Wear your shoes.

^disagree.

person paid a good amount of $$$ for these shoes. you should expect them to be in tip top condition when you get them. was the money you sent to J. Crew tainted in any way?

So if you buy a new car, whether it be a Hyundai or a Porsche, should you accept the car with a scratch or ding just because in 3 years the car is gonna show signs of wear anyway?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
^disagree. person paid a good amount of $$$ for these shoes. you should expect them to be in tip top condition when you get them. was the money you sent to J. Crew tainted in any way? So if you buy a new car, whether it be a Hyundai or a Porsche, should you accept the car with a scratch or ding just because in 3 years the car is gonna show signs of wear anyway?
A scratch or ding is not even a close analogy. There are imperfections in the paint of almost every car under $100K. You probably just don't realize it. They are a pair of boots, not dress shoes. That "scuff" isn't any damage to the leather. One coat of conditioner, which should be applied to new shoes anyway, will make the mark disappear. Also, they were $400, not $50K. I don't think you can expect the same pristine condition.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score

+1

Especially since they're Indy boots, and you're probably going to beat them up a bit anyways. Or at least if you're like me, you will. I can see why it would be annoying, and I might even be a tad peeved myself...but I guess the determinitive factor here is how much it bothers you.

#8 captoe boots, Grant last today.

tylerjbritt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Just picked up a pair of Medallion Cap Toes in Color 8.

Also put myself down for a preorder for Cigar Cap Toe boots with Commando soles.

Originally Posted by edubs01
Aberdeen last.
If your interested I would call the Haverford store and ask for Ken

Called and spoke with Ken. The Sherman Bros preorder is for a Medallion cap toe. Was hoping for a plain cap toe.

Thor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
Thor, how old are ur Indies and how did u get that nice tanning on your boots A lot of sunlight as well?

I got the boots in Sept of last year...and did expose them to sun intentionally for a few weeks...and also wore them a lot...the color is really cigar-like now in places with rich burgundy still to be had as well...

I have stopped the intentional exposure and will now leave their patina to general wear and tear...

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A scratch or ding is not even a close analogy. There are imperfections in the paint of almost every car under $100K. You probably just don't realize it. .

But you can realize the scuff on those boots, so that's not really an apt analogy.

harrythedog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thor
I got the boots in Sept of last year...and did expose them to sun intentionally for a few weeks...and also wore them a lot...the color is really cigar-like now in places with rich burgundy still to be had as well...

I have stopped the intentional exposure and will now leave their patina to general wear and tear...

hey thor, beautiful boots! how do you treat them? polishes, wax, conditioners? really gorgeous patina!

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else worried that Alden is expanding too rapidly?

I hope they have a plan to contract back down after the latest trend in men's footwear dies down. They have seen rapid growth with many retailers. I just worry that once they aren't the "gotta have" shoe, they will be stuck with huge inventories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads