• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

zanderman

Reaction score
First post! I have been lurking for a while, and have a few questions:

What's the big deal with seeing colar points beneath a suit jacket?

I just received some slim CT shirts and the fit is good-snug/not tight around the neck, slim around the waist, shoulder seams on the ends of my shoulders, but I am unsure of the sleeve length. Unlaundered, the cuffs hit me just where I think they ought to, just below the wrist where the thumb starts to jut out. But I understand cotton shirts are expected to shrink 1/4 inch in the sleeve. How does one go about buying shirts, with this knowledge, and are mine going to work? I suppose there's only one way to find out. Maybe I'll post some pics...

Does anyone know of a good, cheap, Boston/Cambridge area tailor or am I asking this in the wrong place?

Many thanks!

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a solid medium-grey suit to wear to my brother's wedding as the best man. My price range is $400-$650. I'm looking for a SB 2-button peak or no peak.

Here's the crap:

I'm a 38 (Euro 48) jacket with a 34-34.5" trouser waist with a bigger chest and solid lower body.

I like a slimmer silhouette and am not a sack suit fan. I've given away three size 38 suits due to waist discomfort issues (two Italian ones and one Hart Schaffner Marx).

Is this something I need to go MTM for? I'm the best man and this is my little brother's wedding. I want to look fantastic and be able to enjoy myself. Any help would help.

Here's what we're working with:

2resb39.jpg

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iGents, as a casual outfit would you think it ok to wear a tweed large print houndstooth winter coat with wool small pattern glen plaid pants? My planned outfit with the pants seems fine (dark purple v-neck sweater, pointed collar shirt, maybe a college stripe tie), but with the coat does it seem too matchy or wonky with the pants? Normally I would go with a grey cropped trench, but its too chilly for that combo atm and the tweed is my warmest coat.

Pics of the coat/pants/etc on request.

Hoffsnacks

Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice french cuff shirt. My good friend buys all custom made shirts and suits, any suggestions for stores under $100? I live in the Philadelphia area and shop online as well.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hoffsnacks
I'm looking for a nice french cuff shirt. My good friend buys all custom made shirts and suits, any suggestions for stores under $100? I live in the Philadelphia area and shop online as well.

Check the Brooks Bros sale going right now. Otherwise, try J. Press.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by .Impulsv
Thoughts on a corduroy sportcoat + a white linen pocket square? Corduroy seems too casual for a pocket square, but it is pretty plain and basic.
Pocket squares are fine on cord jackets but the implicit formality of a white linen square clashes with the implicit casualness of a cord jacket. I would use a brightly colored, patterned square with a cord jacket.

.Impulsv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Pocket squares are fine on cord jackets but the implicit formality of a white linen square clashes with the implicit casualness of a cord jacket. I would use a brightly colored, patterned square with a cord jacket.
Weird. I figured a linen square would fall under casual, like a linen shirt does. I guess it differs from piece to piece. Mind giving me a basic rundown of (what you feel is) the spectrum of sportcoat/suiting fabrics in terms of formality? What materials are more conservative/dressy, and what are considered more casual?

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I need a solid medium-grey suit to wear to my brother's wedding as the best man. My price range is $400-$650. I'm looking for a SB 2-button peak or no peak.

Here's the crap:

I'm a 38 (Euro 48) jacket with a 34-34.5" trouser waist with a bigger chest and solid lower body.

I like a slimmer silhouette and am not a sack suit fan. I've given away three size 38 suits due to waist discomfort issues (two Italian ones and one Hart Schaffner Marx).

Is this something I need to go MTM for? I'm the best man and this is my little brother's wedding. I want to look fantastic and be able to enjoy myself. Any help would help.

Here's what we're working with:

Do you have Syms/Century21 type store nearby? You could get a decent suit for ~$400-500 and spend the rest on getting the suit tailored

ebmk3891

Reaction score
So I got a pair of boots for the snow/slush and put a coat of snosneal on. I've already got scuff marks on it and was wondering if it's okay to put shoe polish on top of the snow sneal? Or will I need to remove the wax, polish, then new coat of snosneal?

negusnegas

Reaction score
Does anybody have personal experience or know about the quality of Sartoria Napoli suiting (not to be confused with Sartorio or La Vera as far as I know).

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I picked up some brooks brother shirts second hand, is it normal for the buttons to be on the left side?

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this Cucinelli jacket and am quite in love with it. Unfortunately, it's not in my size and the price is too high. Does anyone know who might make something similar?

ct54.jpg

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigskydream
Also posted in Modern Tailor thread (not sure how active it is).

Please comment on fit of this shirt from Modern Tailor. Particularly interested in how to get rid of billowing in armpit/chest area. Shirt is already pretty tight and I'm not sure if I can go any smaller on chest, armhole and shoulder measurements. Thanks!

DSC_0216-2.jpg

DSC_0221-1.jpg

Your shirt is doing that because your shoulders aren't sitting high enough, I believe. This is especially pronounced on the left shoulder. You could probably also use just a touch more space in the chest and in the arms; those are sitting too tight on you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads