• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Singapore Salaries

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I've been quoted 4000-4500 SGD/month in an offer, and though I've never lived in SG, I know it's one of the more expensive places to live. Am I right that this isn't much to live on?

suited&booted

Reaction score
It depends on what's the job and if the annual package includes commision, performance bonus, CPF (pension payment from employer/employee), etc.

If you are an expat, then does it also include accomodation, relocation fees, etc.

Depends also on how you wanna live too I suppose.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
They would put me up in a hotel for 2 weeks and help me in finding an apt, also reimburse airfare. There's pension, but no commission/performance bonus.

My goal is to save around 1000 USD a month, so assuming I would spend ~ 2000 SGD on rent that doesn't leave much else.

suited&booted

Reaction score
Single expats tend to share apartments to defray cost. So there is some savings there.

The compulsory pension savings contribution is shared between you and your employer. As a foreigner you can choose not to pay but if you do, you are allowed to withdraw everything once you quit Singapore. Read here http://mycpf.cpf.gov.sg/Members/Gen-...r-Gen-info.htm

Honestly, the package is dependent on the job and skils, experience etc. If you are not contractually bound, you can always jump ship. There is a fierce competition for talent in Singapore as the economy is booming especially in certain sectors.

It's easier if you talk to your friends who are here who have similar lifestyle expenses as you. As for me (40, married, one 3 year old daughter who goes to an international school, apartment in the city with mortgage, bad B&S habit, etc etc) that amount is not enuff. But I was young once and that amount was fine.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
it'd be tight with US$1000 a month savings in mind. Assuming you have a roommate, you'd live reasonably well if you didn't want to save anything...pretty boring place to live though man.

Easterntides

Reaction score
I leaved in Singapore for a year in 2008 - with 4-4.5K a month you'll be broke.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I really want to avoid living with a roommate as much as possible... ever since college I have zero desire to share my living space with someone else, though I'm sure it would make living costs lower especially in Sg and HK.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That equates to around 3300 or so USD Eason. How does that compare to what you're doing now? Is the COL comparable?

suited&booted

Reaction score
Thanks Matt. He would be the best person to advise as he lived & worked in SIN few years back.

Best deal would be making a Singapore salary and living in Saigon.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The money is "better" as in higher, but cost of living is much higher than where I am now. Part of the thing that makes me consider it, despite the cash squeeze, is that this job will look better on my resume than one in Bangkok or Saigon.

suited&booted

Reaction score
We dont have to go into specifics here but what industry are you in? Not all sectors here in SIN are great performers, so postings in other places could be better especially 'frontier' or developing economies.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Education, it's a job with the British Council. The thing is, I'm not interested in working in frontier/developing countries anymore because it's not going to look good for me professionally. That's primarily what I'm interested in at this point in my career.

suited&booted

Reaction score
Education is booming biz here esp languages. I assume it's English you are teaching. I have expat colleauges who'se wives are teachers from the UK & the US who have found jobs easily either in the public or private education sectors.

Heaps of 'branded' academic institutions here too and more setting up joint programs to take advantage of the island's aim to be the academic hub of Asia. Lots of foreign students from around the region require English so your skills would be in constant demand.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
The money is "better" as in higher, but cost of living is much higher than where I am now. Part of the thing that makes me consider it, despite the cash squeeze, is that this job will look better on my resume than one in Bangkok or Saigon.
Well I know what you teach so my guess would be your clients would be professionals ie. lawyers doctors and so on?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads