• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long after interview?

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
congrats. What kind of job is it anyways?

-LR

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Well, I got the job. Now trying to decide how much I actually want it.

What's your current situation and what situation will the new gig put you in? May help your internet bros give you advice.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
What's your current situation and what situation will the new gig put you in? May help your internet bros give you advice.

The main reason I've been applying elsewhere is because I'd rather be in New York than where I currently am. The new role would be very similar to my current job, albeit with a more prestigious company (though the gap isn't that huge...it's in investment banking, so think the difference between moving from Wells Fargo to Barclays...or since this is SF, think a nice Nordstrom to Neiman Marcus).

My main reason for hesitation is loyalty -- my boss hired me for a summer as a student, liked me enough to bring me back for another summer, helped me get accelerated to final round interviews for full-time positions in other areas of the firm (which I was interested in exploring) and backstopped me by hiring me anyways when I didn't make the cut at the other interviews. I more or less owe the guy my career. The fact I love my co-workers and the other senior guys on the desk doesn't help my decision either.

I guess my plan right now is to try to sit down with my group head in the next couple of days and tell him I want to move to NY; that things here outside of work aren't working out for me. I'll ask how realistic it would be for me to move internally to NY (though what complicates this is that my current firm's NY office is relatively weak and I really don't want to work in my current group's NY counterpart). I think I'll keep the other offer in my back pocket as a last resort, but to be honest, my preferences for moving to my current firm's NY office are pretty specific and I don't want any uncertainty over the possibility (like "I think we could definitely move you, but maybe in a few months").

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I'll keep the other offer in my back pocket as a last resort, but to be honest, my preferences for moving to my current firm's NY office are pretty specific and I don't want any uncertainty over the possibility (like "I think we could definitely move you, but maybe in a few months").

You'll get an answer like that. Don't think people move staff around just based on one meeting. Doesn't mean he won't do it, but you'll need to either move on to the other gig now or possibly wait those few months to stay with your less prestigious company in a different city, weaker office, without the co-workers you are bff's with.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Well, yeah, I guess I sort of expect an answer like that. But am I screwing myself over by not just leaving? I'm guessing that for the next few months I'll be frozen out from increased opportunities, responsibilites and advancement at my current firm; at least as long as I work under my current boss (with whom I actually have a very good relationship).

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Read the second half of my post: You want to ask your boss to change cities and stay with the same company, though you will be losing everything you like about it. So, what's the point?

Egert

Reaction score
You talk about Investment banking and a desk, so you work in sales & trading? which desk
smile.gif

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Read the second half of my post: You want to ask your boss to change cities and stay with the same company, though you will be losing everything you like about it. So, what's the point?

You're right. Maybe not letting people down by going to a competitor?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're right. Maybe not letting people down by going to a competitor?

As long as it's not some long-hated rival (does that exist in banking anymore?), you will be just fine. They will be dissapointed (a good thing as it means you were appreciated) but you'll be fine. If they get weird on you, then it will confirm your decision to move.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads