• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
I like the testimonial from the Australian kickboxing champ... "now not only do I fight like a champion I look like one too."

Wonder how much he was paid for that. You'd think they could have found someone we've at least heard of .

bhall41

Reaction score
I recently did a bit of pruning of my wardrobe and, as a result, got rid of a couple of jumpers, including an ill fitting CR jumper.

I realise it's the middle of summer
smile.gif
but I thought, as a matter of interest that I would pop down to Henry Bucks at lunch time to see what stock they had and to check out their prices. Apart from some house brand jumpers, labelled Made in Italy (yes, I realise this label is perhaps misleading), the prices were eye watering. John Smedley jumpers were around $360 whereas I noticed the Armoury in Hong Kong is selling them for $153 based on current exchange rates.

I don't mind paying a premium for good customer service and the convenience of purchasing a product immediately, but in this case the mark up is so extreme that I think I will try the John Smedley jumpers on for size in store and purchase online from the Armoury, assuming I like the fit. And I will do this without a guilty conscience.
devil.gif

To some extent the same problem exists with McLouds. I have had shoes re-soled through them and have purchased shoe cream and shoe trees, and will no doubt do so again. However, their mark ups on English shoes are ridiculous. I would need to have rocks in my head to purchase in store, rather than through Pediwear or Herring Shoes.

In both instances, being charged GST would make negligible difference to the outcome.

Rant over.

__PG__

Reaction score
What's more amazing is that McLouds are proud of the fact that they are never on sale.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your right sadly the myth of customer service in many places is just that. I buy my H&K shirts online because the mark up at Henry Bucks is over the top. And as for service I don't know if there just used to grovelling to barristers and their ilk in Sydney but, if you don't walk in looking like their idea of money they ignore you. And as for the staff attitude during the sales the place sucks.

I live in Canberra and its like being continually bleed by retailers, supermarkets and associated services. Its like they assume that your on a double income and can just pay through the nose for anything in this town. As for Gerry Harvey and his GST campaign, WFTFAJ.

No its basic greed and small population that ***** us over in terms of merchandise in this country. OK now I have had my rant back to normal transmission.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
I recently did a bit of pruning of my wardrobe and, as a result, got rid of a couple of jumpers, including an ill fitting CR jumper.

I realise it's the middle of summer
smile.gif
but I thought, as a matter of interest that I would pop down to Henry Bucks at lunch time to see what stock they had and to check out their prices. Apart from some house brand jumpers, labelled Made in Italy (yes, I realise this label is perhaps misleading), the prices were eye watering. John Smedley jumpers were around $360 whereas I noticed the Armoury in Hong Kong is selling them for $153 based on current exchange rates.

I don't mind paying a premium for good customer service and the convenience of purchasing a product immediately, but in this case the mark up is so extreme that I think I will try the John Smedley jumpers on for size in store and purchase online from the Armoury, assuming I like the fit. And I will do this without a guilty conscience.
devil.gif

To some extent the same problem exists with McLouds. I have had shoes re-soled through them and have purchased shoe cream and shoe trees, and will no doubt do so again. However, their mark ups on English shoes are ridiculous. I would need to have rocks in my head to purchase in store, rather than through Pediwear or Herring Shoes.

In both instances, being charged GST would make negligible difference to the outcome.

Rant over.

Barrington Ayre has a selection of John Smedley jumpers, too.

bhall41

Reaction score

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Your right sadly the myth of customer service in many places is just that. I buy my H&K shirts online because the mark up at Henry Bucks is over the top. And as for service I don't know if there just used to grovelling to barristers and their ilk in Sydney but, if you don't walk in looking like their idea of money they ignore you. And as for the staff attitude during the sales the place sucks.

I live in Canberra and its like being continually bleed by retailers, supermarkets and associated services. Its like they assume that your on a double income and can just pay through the nose for anything in this town. As for Gerry Harvey and his GST campaign, WFTFAJ.

No its basic greed and small population that ***** us over in terms of merchandise in this country. OK now I have had my rant back to normal transmission.

I wouldn't say good customer service is a myth, but it is certainly very hard to find, even in Sydney. It often depends on individual SAs (like the much feted Ethan for example) and therefore the level of service you get even at the same store, let alone same chain, can be very inconsistent depending on who's rostered on that day or night.

There are a couple of stores where I always receive awesome customer service, even though, by the standards of some of their clientele, I'm a rank small timer. These shops know that their survival depends on their service as a point of difference, and yes, this is why I will pay more for their goods, even when, on my budget, I would be tempted to go online for the same stuff. I just really enjoy shopping there, and it's almost like the actual goods I receive are a bonus at the end of the transaction.

Good service means you not only get your goods, but your money buys you piece of mind as well, and there's a lot to be said for that. This is what shopping should be about.

bhall41

Reaction score
I wouldn't say good customer service is a myth, but it is certainly very hard to find, even in Sydney. It often depends on individual SAs (like the much feted Ethan for example) and therefore the level of service you get even at the same store, let alone same chain, can be very inconsistent depending on who's rostered on that day or night.

There are a couple of stores where I always receive awesome customer service, even though, by the standards of some of their clientele, I'm a rank small timer. These shops know that their survival depends on their service as a point of difference, and yes, this is why I will pay more for their goods, even when, on my budget, I would be tempted to go online for the same stuff. I just really enjoy shopping there, and it's almost like the actual goods I receive are a bonus at the end of the transaction.

Good service means you not only get your goods, but your money buys you piece of mind as well, and there's a lot to be said for that. This is what shopping should be about.

Yes I completely agree with you Prince. Despite my proclivity to purchase online thesedays, the older I get the more I appreciate good customer service and will reward the store and SA with one or more sales. I didn't mean to suggest BTW that the level of customer service I received at either Henry Bucks or McLouds has been poor - in fact, I have found the SAs at McLouds in particular to be polite and helpful. However, it's really a question of where the tipping point is - as mentioned above, the mark ups in Oz for clothes and shoes is truly terrible. If the mark ups were less extreme, I would shop there more often and not restort to the internet quite as much.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're absolutely right - there comes a point when you need more than customer service to make up for some of the outrageous mark-ups, especially on shoes. I usually think 20-30% is fair if the shopping experience is very positive compared to online, but when you are talking 150% plus then it becomes very hard to bear.

Basically I won't look to save $50 if I think I'm getting some good service for my extra money, but I'm not ignorant enough to pay $800 for a $300 pair of shoes either. I'd say most people are in this boat, and if you extrapolate that trend I don't think it means online shopping spells the end of real-life retailing in Australia or anywhere else (which is what the Gerry Harvey's want us to believe).

FWIW, interestingly the stores with the best customer service tend to operate at pretty small margins as well, and the markups tend not to be too ridiculous... curious.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
I had a look at the Church shoes at Henry Bucks in Sydney and after buying off Herrings I would not bother with them there, at least a 300% plus mark up and as for service I bought a tie on sale and the fool of a shop assistant charged me full price for it. FTFAJ

If ever a store has lost their mojo....

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're absolutely right - there comes a point when you need more than customer service to make up for some of the outrageous mark-ups, especially on shoes. I usually think 20-30% is fair if the shopping experience is very positive compared to online, but when you are talking 150% plus then it becomes very hard to bear.

Basically I won't look to save $50 if I think I'm getting some good service for my extra money, but I'm not ignorant enough to pay $800 for a $300 pair of shoes either. I'd say most people are in this boat, and if you extrapolate that trend I don't think it means online shopping spells the end of real-life retailing in Australia or anywhere else (which is what the Gerry Harvey's want us to believe).

FWIW, interestingly the stores with the best customer service tend to operate at pretty small margins as well, and the markups tend not to be too ridiculous... curious.

Yeah look with shoes I'd even pay $100 above the odds to be able to compare and try on etc, but not $150 - $200.

Hell I'd even be prepared to pay a $25 trying on fee for every online purchase I make.

Whats needed is some innovative way that Australian retailers can acknowledge online business as well as make a quid and keep everyone happy.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in a 40R Hickey Freeman seersucker blazer before I ebay it?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm off to Herrings this morning to buy a new pair of Church Brisbane longwings the price is good and $ is stable against the GBP so its time to bash the plastic.

GH is an idiot who should not be allowed to speak in public but since he has so much money he is allowed the media space, says a lot about the media and this country if you ask me.

I can think of a couple of good small quality retailers in Sydney, the Pen Shop and Birdland, amongst them where service is constantly good and I continue to support their physical store when I am in Sydney, but overall a lot of SA's aren't all that product knowledgeable I have found in my recent experience.

Aside from this does anyone know a good milliner or hat shop in Sydney or Canberra? I went to Stand Hatters in Sydney recently and bought an Akubra Stylemaster, even then the SA was more focused on a sale than advice. I need to get it blocked into the shape I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads