• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YOU DECIDED THIS Fridays WAYWRN Challenge 1/21/10.. ANNOUNCED!

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I agree. Heck, I remember Usenet and even that wasn't this bad. While the veterans are certainly responsible for some of this, some of the newbies are worse.
I come for the advice; I stay for the snark. I suspect many of the newbies that decide to hop in tend to think the same way. This may explain a gradual increase in snark levels over time. Going back to a previous reply to my WAYWRN Rookie Challenge suggestion. I don't think it would need to be run once a week; I'm not sure if SF attracts enough newbies willing to put themselves out there week in, week out. Perhaps once a month? Or maybe once a quarter? They say that competition improves the breed. WAYWRN has a nice mix of competition and education. I know that I've learned some stuff from watching WAYWRN challenges, and I doubt I would have learned as much if the participants were not playing to win.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tone76
I know that I've learned some stuff from watching WAYWRN challenges, and I doubt I would have learned as much if the participants were not playing to win.

I am thankful someone feels this way. Makes my paycheck for these worth it.
smile.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I am thankful someone feels this way. Makes my paycheck for these worth it.
smile.gif

Spoo, it is true, however -- you are one of the few people who makes SF worth visiting these days.
smile.gif

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
I agree his knowledge was vast. Just found EVERY thread had to include some vox snark. Overall on SF the snark seams to be increasing while the knowledge is decreasing.

Quality of snark and knowledge has decreased. Back in the day when the resident experts gave you comments, you laughed and you learned. Now you laugh and debate whether to bother posting.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spoo, it is true, however -- you are one of the few people who makes SF worth visiting these days.
smile.gif

thanks, broham.
dawson_crying-1.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Quality of snark and knowledge has decreased. Back in the day when the resident experts gave you comments, you laughed and you learned. Now you laugh and debate whether to bother posting.

Of course, by the same token...the quality of the resident "experts" has decreased as well.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Of course, by the same token...the quality of the resident "experts" has decreased as well.

That's exactly my point.

clintonf

Reaction score
smile.gif

I used the think that. I don't any more. Reason? We appear to have very similar taste and from what I've seen we have a lot of overlap in clothing. However, Spoo rocks it better than me, so I hate him now
biggrin.gif
. Seriously, between Spoo, MBreinin, Holdfast, PG, IST66, UC, NYR, YFYF, Upper and some VERY strong outfits from many others, I've been given inspiration and pointers on how to rock my look better than I was. I doubt that I would have got the balls to post pictures of me wearing stuff, but for some of the people above. They rock!!!
worship.gif
However, it's a little disheartening to read some of the comments in threads. Sometimes, it appears more important to make the joke, or put the person down than to actually advise. A real shame. Clint

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
However, it's a little disheartening to read some of the comments in threads. Sometimes, it appears more important to make the joke, or put the person down than to actually advise. A real shame.

Completely agree.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
However, it's a little disheartening to read some of the comments in threads. Sometimes, it appears more important to make the joke, or put the person down than to actually advise. A real shame.

It is when there is only snark without any substantial accompanying advice that it starts to grate.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been on a great many message boards in my day, and I have never found one where users didn't ***** about how the board used to be better and was going downhill.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I have been on a great many message boards in my day, and I have never found one where users didn't ***** about how the board used to be better and was going downhill.

But does the bitching make the perception of degredation invalid?

clintonf

Reaction score
It is when there is only snark without any substantial accompanying advice that it starts to grate.
That is the point I'm making. When I came to SF, you'd have some "tough love" when you asked a question which wasn't really sensible, but genuine in its intent. But you got love. Now, the love is much less. But there's a lot of snark. And you're completely right, it does grate. Clint

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am pulling for Budget or Groupthink. Although the FU SC was one of mine, I realized today that almost all of my FU stuff is SS oriented.
lol8[1].gif

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads