• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox
i know MTM... but what is "CTM" ...?

Cut Trim Make, if I'm not mistaken. When you bring your own cloth to a tailor to get something made.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid this is a point and laugh at the newbie question, but what the heck, if you don't ask, you don't learn. What's with the threads showing 'so obviously' on sports coats? See the shoulder shots of what appear to be very good coats (Pixes, 2,7,8 from the top for example). See here Wouldn't threads showing like that on a coat be a bad thing? But on the contrary a lot of sellers seem to make a point to put it in their pixes. And do dudes walk around wearing threads like that showing up on their suits?

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pink shirt, ivory white pocket square, grey suit with micro windowpane in light blue.

OR

White shirt, ivory white pocket square, grey suit with micro windowpane in light blue.

This is for a wedding. Option #1 too loud? Can white and ivory white go together or will it be a disaster?

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
I'm afraid this is a point and laugh at the newbie question, but what the heck, if you don't ask, you don't learn.

What's with the threads showing 'so obviously' on sports coats? See the shoulder shots of what appear to be very good coats (Pixes, 2,7,8 from the top for example).

See here

Wouldn't threads showing like that on a coat be a bad thing? But on the contrary a lot of sellers seem to make a point to put it in their pixes. And do dudes walk around wearing threads like that showing up on their suits?

No worries- it's called pick stitching and many find it desirable because it shows (or imitates) handwork. As you might infer, the more handwork involved in the making of a garment, the more expensive, and presumably the higher quality.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
I'm afraid this is a point and laugh at the newbie question, but what the heck, if you don't ask, you don't learn.

What's with the threads showing 'so obviously' on sports coats? See the shoulder shots of what appear to be very good coats (Pixes, 2,7,8 from the top for example).

See here

Wouldn't threads showing like that on a coat be a bad thing? But on the contrary a lot of sellers seem to make a point to put it in their pixes. And do dudes walk around wearing threads like that showing up on their suits?

You meant the white threads? They're supposed to be removed before wearing. Sellers take pictures of them to show that they're actually new.

If you meant the similar color threads, they're pickstitching.

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBear
Pink shirt, ivory white pocket square, grey suit with micro windowpane in light blue.

OR

White shirt, ivory white pocket square, grey suit with micro windowpane in light blue.

This is for a wedding. Option #1 too loud? Can white and ivory white go together or will it be a disaster?

you are not supposed to draw attention to yourself at weddings, so dress as conservatively as your wardrobe allows.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
you are not supposed to draw attention to yourself at weddings, so dress as conservatively as your wardrobe allows.

I do know that. The windowpane suit is the only half decent one I have now. Need to decide between the pink or the white shirt.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
You meant the white threads? They're supposed to be removed before wearing. Sellers take pictures of them to show that they're actually new. If you meant the similar color threads, they're pickstitching.
Crap, am I glad I came back to check on this thread! I meant the white threads - would have walked around with those showing....
laugh.gif

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBear
I do know that. The windowpane suit is the only half decent one I have now. Need to decide between the pink or the white shirt.

i figured it was a budgetary concern. so the color of the shirt should be conservative hence white

badgertiger

Reaction score
Ebay navy blazer description says "wool and slightly fuzzy appearance." Any ideas what fabric it is? Barring pilling is fuzziness undesirable in blazer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads