• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best museum in Southern California?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a well-known prole, but to me if you've become so jaded that you can't get a woody from a visit to the Getty, you're probably too jaded.

Jes sayin'

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Hammer. Great public programs and consistently interesting shows.

jussumguy

Reaction score
Jesus alright I take back the LA not having a world-class museum statement. Is there anything else you were offended by? I'm not dogging any of the museums. I'd pay money to see 'em AND feel I got my money's worth. But like I said, I'm trying to figure out which one to go to first/next.

Originally Posted by mharwitt
LA seems to be very prone to strange generalities like this, and I'm not sure why. Whatever the reason, it's very irritating to those of us who enjoy living here.

Probably 'cause the city's so large, the good stuff's hard to find. Hence my question.

IMO though, some things are very lacking in LA, culture for one. We got a million clubs though.
And this is coming from someone born and raised in LA (Harbor City).

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll check 'em out.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jussumguy
IMO though, some things are very lacking in LA, culture for one. We got a million clubs though.
And this is coming from someone born and raised in LA (Harbor City).

this is just too funny. i mean, seriously, what can you possibly mean by that? what does "culture" even mean in a city like los angeles? if you genuinely want to learn about something, copping a junior high "too cool for school" attitude is the last thing you should do.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is also hard to find a good bagel and a piece of pizza in LA.
ffffuuuu.gif

bagels, pizza and culture. that is what a city makes.
teacha.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

perhaps you should have started a thread wherein you recommend LA clubs instead of one wherein you continuously claim that LA is lacking in things that you know nothing about? just a thought.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I LOVE the Huntington; one of my favourite museums anywhere! I *highly* recommend it!

jussumguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
this is just too funny. i mean, seriously, what can you possibly mean by that? what does "culture" even mean in a city like los angeles? if you genuinely want to learn about something, copping a junior high "too cool for school" attitude is the last thing you should do.

Man, if you're really from LA, you know the ratio of clubs/bars to shows/opera/orchestra/etc. is WAY too high compared to other big cities. You may know where the good spots are, but I don't. That's why I'm trying to learn. So I apologize for my "too cool for school" attitude. Which really, I don't know where other than that one statement I come off like that, but cool, my fault. ****, you guys act like I'm talking about your moms in here. I'M FROM LA TOO! I LOVE LA too! Alright? It's just frustrating sometimes trying to find the gems in here. That's all!

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Man, if you're really from LA, you know the ratio of clubs/bars to shows/opera/orchestra/etc. is WAY too high compared to other big cities.

you actually think la has a higher bar:cultural institution ratio than nyc, paris, and madrid? wow.

jussumguy

Reaction score
perhaps you should have started a thread wherein you recommend LA clubs instead of one wherein you continuously claim that LA is lacking in things that you know nothing about? just a thought.

**** do I want to learn more about LA clubs for? I already know enough, and had enough. I want to learn about something else.

So you tell me then. In all honesty, no more being polite, I don't think any of the museums in LA will compare to the ones in Europe. Bam. There's my too cool for school attitude. So you tell me. Which museum should I go to to prove me wrong?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy watching the touching camaraderie and formidable esprit de corps displayed by fellow LA dwellers here.
lurker[1].gif

jussumguy

Reaction score
you actually think la has a higher bar:cultural institution ratio than nyc, paris, and madrid? wow.

Hell. Yeah. Without a doubt.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely higher than Paris. Paris nightlife sucks tremendously.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Hell. Yeah. Without a doubt.
there are probably more bars and clubs in 1/3 of manhattan than there are in all of los angeles
confused.gif
**** do I want to learn more about LA clubs for? I already know enough, and had enough. I want to learn about something else. So you tell me then. In all honesty, no more being polite, I don't think any of the museums in LA will compare to the ones in Europe. Bam. There's my too cool for school attitude. So you tell me. Which museum should I go to to prove me wrong?
we already told you. in any event it sounds like you were just moved by these specific sites. if you're not moved in a similar way by what's here, your loss i guess.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** do I want to learn more about LA clubs for? I already know enough, and had enough. I want to learn about something else.

So you tell me then. In all honesty, no more being polite, I don't think any of the museums in LA will compare to the ones in Europe. Bam. There's my too cool for school attitude. So you tell me. Which museum should I go to to prove me wrong?

if you want to learn something about which you know nothing, the best approach is not to start out by saying you don't expect to learn anything. but rather than belabor it ... just go to the norton simon one day ... it's in all the guidebooks, you shouldn't have trouble finding it. spend the day and see if that doesn't change your mind. Or, you could do the same with the Hammer, or the Getty (especially since it sounds like you like big-ticket, popularly accepted "masterpieces"), or even LACMA.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads