• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
reminds me of all the jews that walk around in sweatpants and ugly ass shirts around here, but live in million dollar homes.

not to put you on the spot but why do always act like the ambassador for mediocre attire? Yes, It might be their priority to buy an ipod, but are you saying that its any more reasonable to spend that much on electronics? Its all consumerism in the end, and can't be justified at all; besides the fact that one believes it will increase their long term happiness. However dubious that may be as well.

I blame the mass production of clothing, which is both a negative and a positive side of capitalism. The masses of consumers can attain more accessible clothing options, but at the same time this sacrifices quality and design. In the end luxury goods still exist so it doesn't disrupt anything, but merely creates a hierarchy for clothing design/quality.

also, random but...im avoiding wearing a suit like the plague. I also think its idiotic to demand people dress a certain way, especially suits. However, I don't understand why people are content being poorly dressed, though

Again, priorities. Or not even priorities, just personal preference. Sounds to me like you can't seem to get around the idea that not everyone shares your beliefs.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
Same with careers actually. So many kids I graduated college with are *still* waiting to get jobs. "I put my resume on Monster.com, just waiting for the call." Instead of actually out meeting people, calling people, trying to get jobs etc. Just want money to come to them instead of going out and achieving. I heard another girl, who had an internship at a major publication say that sometimes she had to work past 9-5 till like 7 at night and that work was really hard so she was changing majors.
To be fair it's a pretty ****** time job wise. But yea our generation is incredibly over-entitled

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
To be fair it's a pretty ****** time job wise. But yea our generation is incredibly over-entitled

When I said people are still waiting, I wasn't talking about people that still don't have jobs, that is understandable. Im talking about people who are literally just waiting instead of making an effort. And they haven't made an effort yet.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CTK: Your post made it sound like it was reasonable to spend in those areas, but not clothes. That was my only point. In fact you are reminding me of another problem of society. We now think we NEED so many things. Whether its a car, big house, etc. This is actually why people scoff at spending large amounts on clothes, because society has been molded to believe you need a big house to have a family, and etc. Somehow one is more justified, even if you don't necessarily need either. I'm not saying we don't need homes, because we obviously need shelter. However, theres a difference between a giant 500k home and a 100k-200k one.

slack tide: definitely clothing formalities, its part of the reason why I like fashion since I like garments that divorce themselves from the norm/what's considered "normal."

coldforge lol

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CTK: Your post made it sound like it was reasonable to spend in those areas, but not clothes. That was my only point. In fact you are reminding me of another problem of society. We now think we NEED so many things. Whether its a car, big house, etc. This is actually why people scoff at spending large amounts on clothes, because society has been molded to believe you need a big house to have a family, and etc. Somehow one is more justified, even if you don't necessarily need either. I'm not saying we don't need homes, because we obviously need shelter. However, theres a difference between a giant 500k home and a 100k-200k one.

I didn't mean that at all. Any spending beyond what is needed is discretionary so it really can't be judged.

But just as you feel you NEED to wear clothes of a certain level of quality, some folks feel they NEED to live in a big house. Rationally, neither is justifiable.

Really the only time I feel any kind of spending is bad is when it gets in the way of your financial security. Like, if ur blowing half ur take home on a McMansion mortgage, or have a closet full of SF approved brands w/no food or savings ur doing it wrong.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that was actually my whole point, but I was poking fun at the fact that some people think what they are doing is justifiable somehow. Since society has bred them into thinking in this manner. Spending money on clothes is seen as shallow usually, lol. The concept of need has been overly extended to areas that shouldn't be since this country has become so wealthy in general.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
In the past people spent a greater percentage of their income on clothing than they do today. The more expensive production techniques and materials of the past seemed affordable at the time because everyone was accustomed to paying more than they are today and there were no cheaper options.

The situation is analogous to what's happened with food. Average quality of food consumed was higher 100 years ago than it is today. But with cheaper production techniques and lowering of quality achieved via processed foods, few go hungry anymore in the richer countries. Yet ask the average person if they're willing to pay for higher quality meat sold at luxury grocery such as Whole Foods. Most will label it "unaffordable", viewing it in the same light as those $200 jeans. Society has conditioned them to accept McDonnald's and TV dinners as acceptable forms of food that they actually enjoy, so why pay more?

But the money they saved will likely still find a home in other high priced products. Perhaps a $200/month iPhone family plan with unlimited messaging for mom, pop, bro, and sis will be viewed as "affordable"? That's $2400 a year-- hardly cheap! If your tribe says you must have something as a normal part of life and there are no cheaper options, you can expect most will pay the price. It is based more on emotion than logic.

i agree completely.

Originally Posted by snake
You also have to take into account the general lack of interest in clothing most people share. Over the last few decades our society has down played the importance of dress codes to the point where it's now ok to attend funerals and business meetings in polos and jeans. It's just so casual now. I blame the baby boomers and the importance they place on "comfort".

i concur.
i'll go further and attribute the average american's crappy aesthetic to ****** food regiments. fat americans develop back and joint problems and in turn the market reacts by creating orthopedic shoes, breathable fat-people pants and XXXL wrinkle-free shirts. it's on par with sweeping dust under a rug. we no longer address problems at their source and simply learn to live with the bad aesthetics. if you go to a place like stockholm all the guys go out at night in well-fitting blazers.

reminds me of all the jews that walk around in sweatpants and ugly ass shirts around here, but live in million dollar homes.

not to put you on the spot but why do always act like the ambassador for mediocre attire?

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by kojnglsmith
I have a pretty random question about high-end denim. When I try to explain to people the idea behind paying over $200 for a pair of jeans I generally talk about how they're made using high quality materials and constructions similar to those used before companies like Levi sacrificed quality in order to make jeans as efficiently and quickly as possible--so basically they're made like jeans "used to be made". Their response is invariably to ask , if they cost so much today, how the hell people "back then" could possibly afford them. Can anyone offer any insight? Am I just wrong in my argument?

my female arm candy tends to dissuade any need for such justification long before it comes into question.

if you are doing it right, people won't even bother to question how much you spend. "look at my jeans...then look at yours" is generally good enough also.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
if you are doing it right, people won't even bother to question how much you spend. "look at my jeans...then look at yours" is generally good enough also.
Yup. If people question why you wear what you do, you're doing it wrong.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
i concur.
i'll go further and attribute the average american's crappy aesthetic to ****** food regiments. fat americans develop back and joint problems and in turn the market reacts by creating orthopedic shoes, breathable fat-people pants and XXXL wrinkle-free shirts. it's on par with sweeping dust under a rug. we no longer address problems at their source and simply learn to live with the bad aesthetics. if you go to a place like stockholm all the guys go out at night in well-fitting blazers.

like boston's new ambulances fitted for obese patients

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I said people are still waiting, I wasn't talking about people that still don't have jobs, that is understandable. Im talking about people who are literally just waiting instead of making an effort. And they haven't made an effort yet.

true, but I think this gets more than its fair share of attention. I don't think our generation is really any lazier than most of the previous generations. Yeah theres a few people that act entitled, and/or just wait for a job to come to them... but they're a tiny minority. Also, its kinda funny that some of the people from other generations leveling the "entitled" criticism came of age at a time where you could drop out of college and still easily find a job that could support a normal lifestyle... and while it probably wasn't handed to them - they didn't have to go through anywhere near the amount of networking/etc that people do today.*

*my view might be biased by the fact I've had a horrible time finding any work despite having an advanced degree.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Same with careers actually. So many kids I graduated college with are *still* waiting to get jobs. "I put my resume on Monster.com, just waiting for the call." Instead of actually out meeting people, calling people, trying to get jobs etc. Just want money to come to them instead of going out and achieving.
jeffrey-lebowski1.jpg

I heard another girl, who had an internship at a major publication say that sometimes she had to work past 9-5 till like 7 at night and that work was really hard so she was changing majors.
FML I wish I ever got to go home at 5... 9 is pretty much the norm lately and I get here before 8am.

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how the general attitude of this forum is that we are somehow represent a more advanced, upper echelon of society because are willing to spend thousands of dollars on expensive clothes and endure near castration to get a good fitting pair of jeans. People value some things more than others - there are probably posters here that have wardrobes worth tens of thousands of dollars but live in tiny studio apartments with all their furniture from IKEA. Clothing, the way people on Styleforum approach it, is just a hobby. Hobbyists tend to have this childlike need to question why everybody else doesn't share their hobby, and view them as inferior for not sharing it. I don't really give a **** what other people wear - they probably have better ways to spend their money, and I'll just look better in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads