• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there's a large margin between how SFs look at clothing and how Americans should look at clothes

I.e. yea jeans and a polo are inappropriate for a funeral, but someone making x amt of dollars a year isn't obligated to wear clothes of some arbitrary quality or price range. To that degree it shouldn't be a priority, outside of maybe picking clothes that fit + flatter

I mean why stop there... Meis post is almost like saying someone of a certain salary should drive car X, live in neighborhood Y in a house that costs Z hundred thousand dollars, yadda yadda. Meaningless materialism. I'd rather have the cash and live how I want; if "nice" clothes is a part of that then so be it.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were not arguing how much someone should spend on their clothes, but rather the formality of it. The fact that some people have essentially given up on their appearances. Because ****, you can get a mens warehouse suit for a song and I'm pretty sure its buy one get one.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
Were not arguing how much someone should spend on their clothes, but rather the formality of it. The fact that some people have essentially given up on their appearances. Because ****, you can get a mens warehouse suit for a song and I'm pretty sure its buy one get one.
this. edit: CTK that's not what I'm saying at all

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I agree that the pride people seem to take in underdressing is a net detriment.

But I figured u were only talking about casual clothes when u mentioned Gap & Eddie Bauer.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
You also have to take into account the general lack of interest in clothing most people share. Over the last few decades our society has down played the importance of dress codes to the point where it's now ok to attend funerals and business meetings in polos and jeans. It's just so casual now. I blame the baby boomers and the importance they place on "comfort".

I've been watching a pile of older movies lately and one of the elements that connects them all is how men in that era, the 1930s and '40s, all wore suits in almost all situations. It didn't matter if they were rich, fat, impoverished, etc. They all wore suits.

I don't lean toward the MC state of thinking where style should place such an emphasis on buzzwords such as timeless. Nor am I the kind of guy who enjoys wearing dressier clothes if the situation doesn't call for it. I do, however, think there's been something lost in this shift of societal norms.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Priorities

reminds me of all the jews that walk around in sweatpants and ugly ass shirts around here, but live in million dollar homes.

not to put you on the spot but why do always act like the ambassador for mediocre attire? Yes, It might be their priority to buy an ipod, but are you saying that its any more reasonable to spend that much on electronics? Its all consumerism in the end, and can't be justified at all; besides the fact that one believes it will increase their long term happiness. However dubious that may be as well.

I blame the mass production of clothing, which is both a negative and a positive side of capitalism. The masses of consumers can attain more accessible clothing options, but at the same time this sacrifices quality and design. In the end luxury goods still exist so it doesn't disrupt anything, but merely creates a hierarchy for clothing design/quality.

also, random but...im avoiding wearing a suit like the plague. I also think its idiotic to demand people dress a certain way, especially suits. However, I don't understand why people are content being poorly dressed, though

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Society in general is moving towards an attitude of putting forth the least effort for the max result. Media, clothes, health, the bare minimum is generally the status quo

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Society in general is moving towards an attitude of putting forth the least effort for the max result. Media, clothes, health, the bare minimum is generally the status quo

Same with careers actually. So many kids I graduated college with are *still* waiting to get jobs. "I put my resume on Monster.com, just waiting for the call." Instead of actually out meeting people, calling people, trying to get jobs etc. Just want money to come to them instead of going out and achieving. I heard another girl, who had an internship at a major publication say that sometimes she had to work past 9-5 till like 7 at night and that work was really hard so she was changing majors.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's quite pathetic, but true. At least it makes it easier for those who don't settle for less.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
random but...im avoiding wearing a suit like the plague.

Out of some sort of civil disobedience against clothing formalities or because you can't tie a nice knot? I avoid wearing my suits because they need altering. I think that's kept me in a job I dislike for the past 6 months -- don't want to alter my suit for interviews
laugh.gif

coldforge

Reaction score
wait... Get back to the part about the Jews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads