• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YOU DECIDED THIS Fridays WAYWRN Challenge 1/21/10.. ANNOUNCED!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spoo please define budget, does this mean full retail Van Heusen or Brioni at the thrift shop. also please set a dollar limit and what it includes, suit shirt tie shoes coat watch underwear..
thanks

edit: i know it says tbd next the poll option but i think the time is upon us

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
It seems to me that several of the poll options, such as Best FU/SC and best Gun Club, stray from the goal of helping us dress better and place the emphasis instead on who owns the best item in each category. If the goal of these challenges is to help us improve, then we should probably choose less piece-specific topics.

I also have another recommendation along those lines. I propose an entrance fee. I suggest that everyone who enters a weekly challenge accept, as his entrance "fee", an obligation to offer constructive criticism to at least three other entrants in that week's challenge.

welcome to week 3 of the challenge.

its long changed from being what you want it to be, to what it is now. people will say no - it is still a challenge, but IMO most people post solely with a hope to win - which is why i started sitting them out.

however, i cant blame anyone - its just human nature for people to want to win/be recognized.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
welcome to week 3 of the challenge.

its long changed from being what you want it to be, to what it is now. people will say no - it is still a challenge, but IMO most people post solely with a hope to win - which is why i started sitting them out.

however, i cant blame anyone - its just human nature for people to want to win/be recognized.

You can get all of the feedback and constructive criticism you need by posting in WAYWRN on a regular, or semi-regular basis.

The Challenges are supposed to be a showcase for you to demonstrate that you have absorbed such advice and critique and are now presenting your best effort. They are not exclusively intended to be a tool for improvement, but a means to showcase your fits and development, centered upon a common theme.

Nobody competes to lose. If you show up for a Challenge, you are by default, willing to be judged and voted upon.

Mike

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
You can get all of the feedback and constructive criticism you need by posting in WAYWRN on a regular, or semi-regular basis.

The Challenges are supposed to be a showcase for you to demonstrate that you have absorbed such advice and critique and are now presenting your best effort. They are not exclusively intended to be a tool for improvement, but a means to showcase your fits and development, centered upon a common theme.

Nobody competes to lose. If you show up for a Challenge, you are by default, willing to be judged and voted upon.

Mike

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Go back and read the initial reason the Challenge was started. This is the last place you (or anyone for that matter) should be looking for positive reinforcement on themselves.

This is not high school.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Go back and read the initial reason the Challenge was started. This is the last place you (or anyone for that matter) should be looking for positive reinforcement on themselves.

This is not high school.

Really? I beg to differ. I come to WAYWRN because I seek people's opinions on my clothes. This is a community of clothing enthusiasts. Where else would I go for positive reinforcement, or for that matter for criticism and suggestions on improvement?

Additionally, this place can actually be worse than H.S. because it affords people to be as catty and dimissive as they would like, with virtual anomynity.

Maybe the Challenges were intended to take a different path. However, as soon as a poll was put up, and prizes awarded, it became something else.

Mike

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You and me both, brother.
lol8[1].gif
I miss Vox. Mike

Indeed.
smile.gif
I think Vox brought in a much-needed combination of knowledge + snark that significantly raised the bar in this forum. I can feel a void in the force.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Indeed.
smile.gif
I think Vox brought in a much-needed combination of knowledge + snark that significantly raised the bar in this forum. I can feel a void in the force.

Yes, a void indeed. An unfillable void.

Mike

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Indeed.
smile.gif

Although I miss Vox as well. I find it was his snark that has helped the landslide of comments on SF today.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no reason it can't be both, dawg. I'm not suggesting that we stop voting. Far from it. I'm proposing that entrants offer critiques in addition to voting. Competitive individuals will still get their fix.

I don't find that to be the case, Mike. The challenges ought to be able to fill that need much better than WAYWRN because in the challenges we're all shooting at the same target. That should make it easier to "tailor" our critiques in a more helpful manner. In WAYWRN, on the other hand, casual looks, business wear, and even formal wear images stand side by side, making that thread, rather than the challenges, a better place for simple showcasing.

I stand by my proposition that all entrants in future challenges make an effort to offer constructive criticism to at least three other entrants. It can't be enforced, of course, but it ought to be encouraged. I can't see why this would be even remotely controversial.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no reason it can't be both, dawg. I'm not suggesting that we stop voting. Far from it. I'm proposing that entrants offer critiques in addition to voting. Competitive individuals will still get their fix.

I don't find that to be the case, Mike. The challenges ought to be able to fill that need much better than WAYWRN because in the challenges we're all shooting at the same target. That should make it easier to "tailor" our critiques in a more helpful manner. In WAYWRN, on the other hand, casual looks, business wear, and even formal wear images stand side by side, making that thread, rather than the challenges, a better place for simple showcasing.

I stand by my proposition that all entrants in future challenges make an effort to offer constructive criticism to at least three other entrants. It can't be enforced, of course, but it ought to be encouraged. I can't see why this would be even remotely controversial.

teacha.gif
teacha.gif

i approve this message. good luck getting the voat-mongerers to approve.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, TB, I think WAYWRN has become much more focused on being critical as of late, as opposed to just a showcase. There are some members who come to WAYWRN almost exclusively to offer suggestions on improvement.

With that said, I have absolutely no objection to the Challenges being a launching pad for additional critique. My comment merely was that they are a competition, and despite protestations to the contrary, when people vote and a "winner" is declared and awarded the prize of picking the next Challenge, that satisfies the definition of a competition. Either way, I think a little competition is a good thing, especially if it inspires people to do their best.

In the end, it is up to the individual to make of it what he wishes. For me, it is a chance to bring what I consider is my best fit for the week (or if it is some Challenge I am out of my element in, to try to bring something decent that is outside of my comfort zone) and see how it is received by others. For someone else it may be a means to improve upon their overall approach to dress, etc.

I think they are fun. If I did not, I would not participate.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics