• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smack them and they squirm. Smack them again and they're stunned. Begin to skin them and they come to long enough to scream and go into shock. Once about 25% of the skin has been ripped off your body you give up the ghost.

Moving on ...

puppy-1.jpg

lefty

jesask

Reaction score
I have a question for all you dog guys.

We have an 8 month old lab cross. He sleeps in a kennel and spends the day in there when we are at work. There is someone who always comes around the middle of the day to let him out an play. He is never in there more than 4-5 hours and he is never in there when we are home except when we go to sleep.

He has always been really great in the kennel until recently. For the last few weeks he has resisted going in the kennel. We thought it was because it was now too small so we got him a larger one. That has not helped. Last night was especially difficult as he panted for a good portion of the night when he was in there.

We probably did a bad thing when we let him out for the rest of the night.

Any opinions on how to deal with this?

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jesask

We have an 8 month old lab cross. He sleeps in a kennel and spends the day in there when we are at work. There is someone who always comes around the middle of the day to let him out an play. He is never in there more than 4-5 hours and he is never in there when we are home except when we go to sleep.

He has always been really great in the kennel until recently. For the last few weeks he has resisted going in the kennel. We thought it was because it was now too small so we got him a larger one. That has not helped. Last night was especially difficult as he panted for a good portion of the night when he was in there.

I'm no expert, but pretty much the same thing happened to my pup.

After a while he would just whine whenever he was in the crate, however I think it was because the doggy daycare I brought him to would crate him a lot of the time without telling me. Now he's out of the crate all of the time.

It's easy enough to put stuff out of reach that I don't want him eating while I'm out of the house. I have no opposition to those who are keeping their dog in a crate, but I feel much better now that he's able to wander around the house for the day.

I think it's best to slowly have him get used to staying out of the crate. Leave the house for an hour or 2 and see how he does. Then 3-4 hours. Eventually you'll be comfortable leaving him out all day.

My dog's crate is still where it always was and sometimes he goes in it to lie down, but I haven't closed and locked to door to it in months.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad Newz Kennelz, Corgie vs Lab:
n506416419_2432452_2039.jpg
Same Lab a year later:
27731_426721428184_545208184_5055357_6577576_n.jpg
Too many dogs in one house:
27731_426721448184_545208184_5055360_6945824_n.jpg

jobro

Reaction score
Went for a 14km jog-with-the-dog today, she gave up after 4km however the ground was too hot for her to stay still so she ended up making it to the beach 2km later where she lay in the water for a half hour. I let her rest a little before we set off again. Around the 10km mark she lay down on the ground and would not go anywhere, she is very stubborn but she couldn't resist the sound of me heading towards home crinkling a package of empty chips I found on the ground, hoping she would get something to eat out of following me.
laugh.gif
She is sleeping like a baby right now with her teddy (crocodile) in her mouth (its in her mouth when she goes to the toilet too!). Holly is 17 months.
2akjz1u.jpg

jobro

Reaction score
She literally loves it too much - its just a $4 toy from IKEA. When shes not biting it by the neck she is licking it as if its her baby. She also has a rat from IKEA that she used to give the same treatment before croc came along. Cheap dog toys and bones are another story - they're ripped apart in a couple of minutes.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not an expert by any stretch but I'd say he sick to ******* death of spending time in his crate. Run his ass ragged everyday, twice or more if need be. IMHO 90% of what's wrong w/ dogs can be cured with more regular exercise and enrichment.

jesask

Reaction score
We are up at five running him every morning for about 40 minute to an hour and he always gets at least an hour and a half of good exercise every night.

About three times a week he spends the the afternoon with my wife's parents where he can run like crazy...I am hoping exercise is not the problem.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Panting is a sign of stress, but this could simply be an 8 month old becoming willful. Put him in the crate and casually observe him to ensure there's nothing serious going on. It should pass.

Originally Posted by jobro
Went for a 14km jog-with-the-dog today, she gave up after 4km however the ground was too hot for her to stay still so she ended up making it to the beach 2km later where she lay in the water for a half hour. I let her rest a little before we set off again. Around the 10km mark she lay down on the ground and would not go anywhere, she is very stubborn but she couldn't resist the sound of me heading towards home crinkling a package of empty chips I found on the ground, hoping she would get something to eat out of following me.
laugh.gif

She is sleeping like a baby right now with her teddy (crocodile) in her mouth (its in her mouth when she goes to the toilet too!). Holly is 17 months.

You took your dog for a run on a hot day - so hot she couldn't last for much longer than 4km because the burning pavement is pretty much like a ******* iron to a dog's pads, but you pushed her for another 2km until she forced you to cool her down. You then forced her to run for another 5 or 6km until she shut down.

Seriously? This is your cute dog story?

lefty

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
You took your dog for a run on a hot day - so hot she couldn't last for much longer than 4km because the burning pavement is pretty much like a ******* iron to a dog's pads, but you pushed her for another 2km until she forced you to cool her down. You then forced her to run for another 5 or 6km until she shut down. Seriously? This is your cute dog story? lefty
I haven't taken her on such a run before, but now I know not to do it again. You were not there so there is no need for the attack or judgment. There was not any intention to harm her as you imply. I do not need you to speculate on untold facts. The facts are that I knew my dog was hot so I got her to the beach nearby where I altered the route home to be kindest on the dog (along beach to shade strewn streets that lead home). It was longer however but I beloved it was kinder on her and included some water for her. I'm not usually the one to walk the dog but my SO insisted we bring her along.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, when your dog is in distress you call a taxi or a friend and get her home. The dog is your responsibility and a dog that shuts down on a very hot day during a run is suffering.

You were lucky.

lefty

jobro

Reaction score
I don't think you understand that I did the best I could to get her home. Again, you were not there but I don't know where a taxi is going to come from when the nearest town is 50km away even if I had taken my phone. I commend your anti cruelty efforts but your worries are void.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads