• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with denim brands (maybe I need therapy)

drew2000

Reaction score
Hey All, I have a new job where I can wear jeans every day (woohoo!).
laugh.gif
I am 32 with 2 kids. I have always worn Levi's 501's, because the fit is the best for me. I am 6" 190, and every relaxed fit pair of jeans I have tried on makes me look like I am wearing a tent. My wife says I have no butt. I realize I need to have more brands in my wardrobe, but I have serious problems getting away from my norm (501's). A friend recommended Buffalo and Kenneth Cole. My wife thinks I need therapy when it comes to buying jeans and shoes, she is probably right. I have a had trouble finding Levi's with the stylish modern rinses, although I did buy one pair of their Indigo Storm--love 'em ($60 online). Can someone suggest some brands/styles I should try for a classic fit with a modern look? I have spent hours in the stores trying on stuff, but I always end up back with 501's due to fit (36x32) (and familiarity I guess). Brands I've tried: American Eagle (had high hopes, most styles seemed too baggy) Buffalo (at Macy's --- like these but didn't buy @ $90, maybe I should have) CK - Tried *some* but not an exhaustive search RAGS - not bad Old Navy - Cannot find a good fit to save my life (wish I could because Old Navy is everywhere) I'll buy online if someone can recommend something I have a good chance of success with! Sometimes it's hard to make it to the mall with the kids. Thanks, Andrew

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this post should be in the jean questions thread at the tops, but...

The Jeans you have tried out so far are all, well, shite. Most people here would recommend you skip rinsed denim and go straight to raw (untreated, dark, stiff). The good thing about raw denim is that you size them a little too tight and they stretch out to fit perfectly. Another word you hear a lot is "selvedge" which means the denim was made with old style looms and is generally correlative with quality. Since the point of raw denim is to wear it every day, and since you can wear them to work, i would recommend investing in a $200+ pair you can love to death.

A lot of japanese repro(duction) companies have been basing their jean cuts off of 501's. I'll let a more knowledgeable poster help you out with that.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a denim thread pinned as well as others floating around. Read through them. I'd help but I have no idea what would look good on you. Be warned that you will not find much denim here that most people would deem practical. About as far from Old Navy as one could stray

drew2000

Reaction score
If the thread can be moved by a mod, that would be welcome.

I am still a noob so I will have to hang around and learn a bit before I venture into $200 jeans/selvedge/raw.

I need a smaller stepping stone :)

So are Japanese jeans all the rage?

Thanks,
Drew

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People here don't believe in stepping stones-- Why waste money on crap? But perhaps you should look at Gap's selveged jeans when on sale.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drew2000

I am still a noob so I will have to hang around and learn a bit before I venture into $200 jeans/selvedge/raw.

Thanks,
Drew

You could make an argument for that on this forum if you exclude all the Dior type wax/ wash fans. Off of styleforum, no. Unless you live in a hipster-rich environment nobody will know or care. Even if you do it might be a stretch

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drew2000

Thanks,
Drew

then why not get a pair of 501 stf to get introduced to the world of raw without spending a lot of money.

S-Town

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
then why not get a pair of 501 stf to get introduced to the world of raw without spending a lot of money.

I agree with this. You can get a pair for $30 - $50 and can probably find them at Macys or Dillards. Do some research on sizing and all that. If you end up enjoying the process and the eventual fit, you could think about stepping up to some LVC 501s or one of the Japanese brands.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get some APCs

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
Overrated. Quality not on par with the price.
He can do like I did and get them on B&S Or if he's of a slim build he could do some 501 STFs. They look terrible in bigger sizes but are nice under a size 32 waist IMO

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
if you really want to learn about denim, you're going to have to spend a couple hours going through all the posts in the i have a jeans thread.

general guidelines are you want something that is slim. skinner people can pull off tapered jeans, people with wider thighs will need a more straight legged jean to offset the thigh to leg ratio, otherwise it looks unbalanced.

ideally if you can go into a store to try out the brands recommended on this forum, you'll be in better shape than most newbs

APC's are no longer the best entry level jeans. their price point has risen too high.

generally the questions you're going to want to answer are this

1) when looking at different raw denim, how much can i expect them to shrink?
2) how am i supposed to take care of these?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Unless you live in a hipster-rich environment nobody will know or care. Even if you do it might be a stretch

this matters a lot

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads