• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they cost more in real terms. also, due to higher material cost (via transportations) economy of scale, higher labor costs (not made in china), everything was more expensive

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kojnglsmith
I have a pretty random question about high-end denim. When I try to explain to people the idea behind paying over $200 for a pair of jeans I generally talk about how they're made using high quality materials and constructions similar to those used before companies like Levi sacrificed quality in order to make jeans as efficiently and quickly as possible--so basically they're made like jeans "used to be made". Their response is invariably to ask , if they cost so much today, how the hell people "back then" could possibly afford them. Can anyone offer any insight? Am I just wrong in my argument?

Prices now are not the same as prices back then. Do you think the real value of a dollar is constant?

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
Prices now are not the same as prices back then. Do you think the real value of a dollar is constant?

also people didn't used to buy as much stuff, so they were probably a little more willing to spend more $ on a single item.

kojnglsmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun

I understand that, but if LVC 1947 501's cost way too much, to the average American today then how the hell could people afford them when they were actually made in 1947 (in a far poorer country)? Obviously they didn't cost $250 in 1947 but presumably they cost roughly the same in 1947 dollars. It seems to me like either a) companies today charge a huge premium because people like the idea of buying clothes the way they "used to be made" or b) people today have just gotten used to really cheap consumer goods and expect to pay very little for them

Just curious

nomad

Reaction score
sarcasm.gif

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
I've just accepted that Schneider doesn't fit me. Size 6 kind of fits in the shoulders but the body fits like a sack. 7 is just bad all around. No Schneider for me

I had the same issue with his shirts in a 5. The body fit well, but the armholes were too high. I imagine a 6 would have required some tailoring.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kojnglsmith
I understand that, but if LVC 1947 501's cost way too much, to the average American today then how the hell could people afford them when they were actually made in 1947 (in a far poorer country)? Obviously they didn't cost $250 in 1947 but presumably they cost roughly the same in 1947 dollars. It seems to me like either a) companies today charge a huge premium because people like the idea of buying clothes the way they "used to be made" or b) people today have just gotten used to really cheap consumer goods and expect to pay very little for them

Just curious

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

No.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
So where should product reviews go? The RP thread doesn't seem like the best place, since posts are so short and it moves so fast. Should they just go in the relevant topic thread, e.g.,

- Sneakers go in baller or non-baller threads
- Clarks DBs go in the Clarks DB thread
- MDLFNGR t-shirts go in the MDLFNGR thread

Some of us don't have blogs, after all.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder if jeans enthusiasts make the same arguments about aspirin. Bayer is a zillion times more expensive than generic -- yet chemically, constitutionally, aspirin is aspirin, and cotton is cotton. But whatevs. Bayer has "better materials".

I'll wager coal miners had some pretty durable duds back in the day; they certainly weren't paying $200 for the curious blue fabric squares that protected their knees from nicks and scrapes -- even back when machine-made doodads were more novel.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you just ******* say doodads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads