• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first suit, w. photos; looking for constructive criticism

processing

Reaction score
@Ich_Dien: I'm not very familiar with shirt sizes, and I see that we're situated in different countries. I think they come in half-inch increments here. Since the shirt I'm wearing is a 14.5, does that mean I should try a 12.5 or 13? @landshark: How much should I expect to pay for the alterations you listed (narrowing sleeves, taken in the waist, tapering and hemming the trousers)? @saiyar1: I've tried to follow your advice regarding the better lighting and poses. I believe you may also be right about the blousy/loose shirt. I've checked out the EXPRESS modern fit shirt; shipping will take 7-10 business days to Canada. It's cutting it a bit close for my interview, but I'll keep them in mind for the future, especially if they turn out to have a good return policy. I definitely want to step it up and look my best. This is the first step, and it's a rather awkward one, as first steps usually tend to be, but I do think I will be devoting a lot more time and resources toward my wardrobe in the future. I think there's A LOT of room for improvement. @KObalto: Thanks for the input. I will definitely try a smaller collar size next time. @PaoloM: What does it cost to get measurements at a tailor? Is there a Brooks Brothers in Canada? @cptjeff: I hope I can avoid the kid's sizes, but it's a valid suggestion. I think I have wide shoulders in addition to having a thin neck, which makes for an awkward combination. Thanks for the advice on the button down collar. @reidrothchild: Thanks for the input. The suit seemed like a good deal for $150, but it's good to have it confirmed by someone with more experience. I have a pair of dressier shoes, but I'm not sure whether they're appropriate. I would appreciate your feedback on the second set of photos, where they're visible. @mxh521: I'm not sure what property you're talking about. I suspect that you may be a spambot. Kudos to your programmer for getting you through the captchas and all the other verifications. I noticed there were quite a few on this forum when I signed up. @pvrhye: I think you may be right about the small knot. I had never tied a knot before yesterday, so I wasn't sure what to go for. I tried a Full Windor with a different tie before taking the photos, but the knot was huge and the sides of it were disappearing under the collar. That's why I decided to switch to a Pratt knot, but I made the mistake of switching ties at the same time, without realizing that the ties were of different width. I think I've got the knot and length down in the second set of photos. Let me know what you think. @Last Year's Man: Those are some excellent guidelines. Unfortunately I forgot all about them when I tried on my suit for the second set of photos, so I wasn't able to try out #2 and some others. I will not forgot the next time. I'm not sure what #7 refers to; what is the break in a suit? I would like to extend my sincere appreciation to everyone who replied. Your help is highly appreciated, and as you can see, I am in dire need of it.
smile.gif

processing

Reaction score
Allright, as promised, here are the new photos. Hopefully they're better suited for the purpose of criticism.

I'm wearing a different shirt here. Still 14.5, but a different brand, and about four times more expensive than the old one. I also went with a wider knot this time--a Full Windsor, the previous being a Pratt--since the collar ends are further apart on this shirt.

JohnyJohn

Reaction score
The sleeves seem to be short. Jacket length is fine. Trousers are clearly too large. You can always buy better fit than this even in the lowest price range. If you are tall and skinny try different brands as even the same size can fit differently. You may not find a perfectly fitting suit but try to get something sort of OK and then let the tailor to make some quick adjustments.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a knot? If you need a bigger knot go to a double-four-in-hand. The windsor is much less elegant and looked down upon.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by processing
@Last Year's Man: Those are some excellent guidelines. Unfortunately I forgot all about them when I tried on my suit for the second set of photos, so I wasn't able to try out #2 and some others. I will not forgot the next time. I'm not sure what #7 refers to; what is the break in a suit?

I would like to extend my sincere appreciation to everyone who replied. Your help is highly appreciated, and as you can see, I am in dire need of it.
smile.gif

Break refers to the length of your trousers. The Esquire article recommends 1" of break, which means that the bottom hem of the trouser leg falls 1 inch lower tha the top edge of the heel part of your shoe. More than in most elements of suit fit, there is a little leeway for personal choice in the amount of break. The current 'fashion' is for a shorter break, where the bottom of the trouser leg barely grazes the top of the shoe.

For a more conservative look for business or interviews, 1" is probably a good guideline IMO

Oh, and you're welcome
smile.gif
. The fact that you care about how your suit fits at all puts you in a higher style bracket than the vast majority of people so don't be too harsh on yourself.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I can't see your shoes well from the pictures, but the soles look like thick rubber rather than dress soles (thin rubber or, preferably, leather). You look REALLY skinny. There are plenty of suits out there cut for guys like you who are tall and thin with broad shoulders. You're probably accustomed to wearing your casual clothes big and comfy, so that means you'll have an adjustment period getting used to the feel of dress clothes that fit properly; but it is well worth it because nothing makes you look more like a child playing dress up than a suit you're swimming in. As far as specifics, pants are way too big in every area: they're bunching at the bottom, which means they're too long; they are too roomy in the leg. The Jacket is probably a bit big in the shoulder, but you'll have to be the judge of that. I can tell that there's way too much space in the chest and waist of that jacket. The tags are still on the suit, so I would recommend returning it because no amount of tailoring can make this look good. You're young and skinny; there's no reason for suit to not look GREAT on you. Just be patient. Try different sizes on to figure out your correct size. Look at the guys in the WAYWRN thread. For $150, you're not going to look that good, but your suit should look like something approximating what you see there.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best advice I think anyone can give is to suck it up and spend some money. Invest in looking like you're confident and know what you're talking about. I cannot really trust someone who looks careless. Maybe I've been around Flusser too long
stirpot.gif

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Can't tell anything with those angles and that lighting. What I can say, however, is that your shirt collar is about 3-5 sizes too big.

yes.

Gent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnyJohn
The sleeves seem to be short.

This is something I'll start consistently addressing, because it's something I consistently see wrong advice given on.

The sleeves seem about right, though it's not possible to tell exactly from the photos. (In fact, I think they might be too long!) The issue with the sleeves is that the shirt sleeves are way too long (extending well over the back of your hand) giving off the effect that the jacket sleeves are short.

In addition, the cuff of the shirt must be huge to allow that kind of movement.

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by processing
@Ich_Dien: I'm not very familiar with shirt sizes, and I see that we're situated in different countries. I think they come in half-inch increments here. Since the shirt I'm wearing is a 14.5, does that mean I should try a 12.5 or 13?
Geeze, I don't know how easily you'll find a collar smaller than 14.5. Try justwhiteshirts.com over at Leslie and York Mills. That's their outlet location. They can get you something made to measure. There are coupons and vouchers and stuff all over the internet. Invest in a versatile white twill or something understated. It'll be worth it. You can buy 3 discounted off the rack shirts that don't fit you, that you'll never look good in, and that take up valuable real estate and ironing time, or you can get a MTM shirt that you will always feel comfortable wearing.
Originally Posted by PaoloM
Best advice I think anyone can give is to suck it up and spend some money. Invest in looking like you're confident and know what you're talking about. I cannot really trust someone who looks careless. Maybe I've been around Flusser too long
stirpot.gif

There's a certain art to pulling off the balance between poor student and kid who looks completely out of his element. If you get a tailored shirt and a decent entry-level suit, I think you won't look arrogant/wealthy/entitled or amatuer.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent
This is something I'll start consistently addressing, because it's something I consistently see wrong advice given on.

The sleeves seem about right, though it's not possible to tell exactly from the photos. (In fact, I think they might be too long!) The issue with the sleeves is that the shirt sleeves are way too long (extending well over the back of your hand) giving off the effect that the jacket sleeves are short.

In addition, the cuff of the shirt must be huge to allow that kind of movement.

I don't know, man. Those sleeves look a tad short to me. I've always heard they should come down to your wrist bone. OP's sleeves do not appear to meet his wrist bone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads