• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harrythedog
from the moulded shoe home page...

*Please be advised that Alden has informed us that there will be a price increase effective:

February 26, 2011

jesus what else is new

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Man these guys are milking their popularity right now.

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
At the beginning of December, I bought a pair of Indy 405 Kuro's from a local Cambridge MA retailer. They're 11D, a little big, but are really comfortable. So comfortable, I bought a pair of seconds from TSM in the 405 brown and hoping to someday get a pair of them in cigar (or another Alden boot)

I just noticed over the weekend that I am having a little separation between the vibram sole and the sole that the welt attaches to the shoe (if that's the correct terminology - it's definitely below the welt). I'm sure they can reglue it easily enough, I'm just concerned that with the recent weather, snow and water from puddles may have got between the top of the vibram sole and the bottom of the leather (or whatever it is) that it is glued to. I'm not concerned about what it looks like, because it will be reglued, I just don't want any rot to the footbed or underside of the uppers.

Is this something the retail shop will farm out to a cobbler or will these travel 40 miles or so back to Alden for them to repair?

Being so new, should I be entitled to a new pair or a refund?

I did not beat on them, I wear them to work in an office and outside in the snowstorm. I used a snowblower to clear 99% of the 2 feet of snow,

I'm a little shocked that they had an issue so quickly for a pair of $435 boot.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninja07
Don't see many of these around here from what I can recall. Cigar shell WT Boots. Pics taken in different light conditions. Love the colour tonality.

5355981314_9a5216ed86.jpg

Big "wow" to these, too!

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

Though they do put out a product we all love, these guys are KILLING me. But I can't say I am shocked by the price increase. I should probably buy a few pairs I was gonna hold off on between now and the end of February...wallet be damned. Ha.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

Actually they increase the price every February. Been like that ever since I started with them in 2004.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harrythedog
from the moulded shoe home page... *Please be advised that Alden has informed us that there will be a price increase effective: February 26, 2011
This is nothing new. In fact each February, at least in the past few years, there have been ~5% price hikes across the board.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Soooo that makes it ok with no justifiable reason?

Will it ever stop or are we looking at $1000 shoes in a few years?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Soooo that makes it ok with no justifiable reason? Will it ever stop or are we looking at $1000 shoes in a few years?
Yeah pretty much. It is justified though-inflation, increased cost of production-wage increases (employees are in a union), increased cost of materials-especially leather, etc. Back in 2000 when I was selling Alden at a part time job, shell cordovan was $375.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Wow that's crazy, seems not many others are doing the same thing to survive so to speak. Ironically this will probably affect their bottom line in a few years as the demand for this sort of stuff isn't inelastic and once this americana trend declines they won't be enjoying the surge in popularity as they have been. Very interesting to see how it all pans out. Makes me want to order some trickers instead
lol8[1].gif

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Yeah pretty much. It is justified though-inflation, increased cost of production-wage increases (employees are in a union), increased cost of materials-especially leather, etc.

Back in 2000 when I was selling Alden at a part time job, shell cordovan was $375.

But, but why aren't Toyota Corollas pushing $40k then?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
Mass produced for Toyota? And the exclusivity of cordovan leathers for Alden? No one will do a 9 month pre-order for a Toyota (except if you really want to count the LFA
mwink[1].gif
, but with Alden, you betcha.

Cars, in general, are getting more expensive though. A fully loaded Honda Accord V6 will be over $30k now.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have no idea. But weren't they about $2000 back in the 70's?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

I think a more appropriate question would be why aren't all other shoemakers increasing 5% every year like clockwork. I don't like companies that think they are impervious to the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads