• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your opinion of shirt darts?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they make the shirt look cheap/tacky? i've only seen them on an Express shirt and didn't really have an opinion of them.

I'm having some put on a shirt today to help contour the cloth to my lower back instead of billowing. What do you think?

Nogginn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
Do they make the shirt look cheap/tacky? i've only seen them on an Express shirt and didn't really have an opinion of them.

I'm having some put on a shirt today to help contour the cloth to my lower back instead of billowing. What do you think?

They look stupid. They look like something Jerry the Jerk (or whatever his name is) on Jersey Shore would wear
lol8[1].gif

loreley

Reaction score
not tacky. as a plus, it is more or less reversible, something that you can't do by taking in the sides

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since when are darts considered tacky? I would and always do take in the sides, but I cant imagine darts being tacky if it makes the shirt fit better

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nogginn
They look stupid. They look like something Jerry the Jerk (or whatever his name is) on Jersey Shore would wear
lol8[1].gif

Does not know what he's talking about.

I find that it also keeps your shirts tucked better. Why would you want a big ass roll of shirt bulging out of the back like a layers of fat? It looks terrible. Darts help with that.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I think they are unnecessary, at least for me. I do not need my shirt so slim that it requires darts.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to start getting my shirts darted.
The difference b/w my chest and waist is such that there is still slight billowing in my back.
A dart also makes the shirt look custom, which stands out, which the entire f*cking point of all this, isn't it?

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I am going to start getting my shirts darted.
The difference b/w my chest and waist is such that there is still slight billowing in my back.
A dart also makes the shirt look custom, which stands out, which the entire f*cking point of all this, isn't it?

No.

DandySF

Reaction score
Darts make the front of the shirt look great while compromising the back of the shirt. Now, if you don't take your jacket off, darts could be your own dirty little secret.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darts can be tacky. Those stupid shirts with 348479832749 darts everywhere. Especially those cheap thin white ones those douchebags wear skin tight and without undershirt. I don't want to see your damn nipples!
Exaggerating a bit... just those shirts with like back darts AND 4 front darts.

Otherwise I prefer all my shirts darted - just 2 simple ones in the back.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Exaggerating a bit... just those shirts with like back darts AND 4 front darts.

Otherwise I prefer all my shirts darted - just 2 simple ones in the back.

+1

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally hate them and try to avoid them whenever possible.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
Darts make the front of the shirt look great while compromising the back of the shirt. Now, if you don't take your jacket off, darts could be your own dirty little secret.

or your "darty" little secret.
crackup[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads