• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid 16.5 miler tonight. This was the workout I needed to feel confident going into my next race. The 7:00 pace felt relatively easy, and I did not feel to out of control at the end.
Wrapped up a solid 6 run/72.5 mile week.
here are the splits:

1\t00:07:06\t1.00\t07:06
2\t00:07:02\t1.00\t07:02
3\t00:07:06\t1.00\t07:06
4\t00:07:07\t1.00\t07:07
5\t00:07:05\t1.00\t07:05
6\t00:07:03\t1.00\t07:03
7\t00:07:02\t1.00\t07:02
8\t00:07:08\t1.00\t07:08
9\t00:06:58\t1.00\t06:58
10\t00:07:06\t1.00\t07:06
11\t00:06:56\t1.00\t06:56
12\t00:06:49\t1.00\t06:49
13\t00:06:48\t1.00\t06:48
14\t00:06:59\t1.00\t06:59
15\t00:06:55\t1.00\t06:55
16\t00:06:50\t1.00\t06:50
17\t00:02:36\t0.41\t06:27

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
7.59 miles in 65:00 (avg. 8:34 min/mi)

Today's all-doom dreadmill playlist:

Kyuss - "Green Machine"
Sleep - "Holy Mountain"
High on Fire - "Blessed Black Wings"
Earth - "Coda Maestoso in F (Flat) Minor"
Monster Magnet - "Dinosaur Vacume" (their spelling, not mine)
Orange Goblin - "Saruman's Wish"
Eyehategod - "Dixie Whiskey"
Alabama Thunderpussy - "S.S.D.D."
Candlemass - "Solitude"
Witchfinder General - "Witchfinder General"
Pelican - "Aurora Borealis"
Electric Wizard - "Devil's Bride"

I love High On Fire!!!! I run to that frequently.

9 miles today, on the snowy trails (not the crazy steep ones), I was the only one out there, except a really bad nordic skiier, whom I blew past.
5K was @ 24 min, 10 K was @ 51 min, not bad considering the second 5K was all on the damn slippery snow.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
12 miles in 1:29:37. First 12-miler of the season, and only two weeks before the half. Finished faster than I started, which was nice but no mile splits.

Playlist (I actually brought the ipod in to work this time!1) - this was a shuffle that worked out really well.

John Fruschiante - Dark Light
Arcade Fire - Month of May
Fugazi - Nightshop (live)
John Frusciante - One More of Me
Nirvana - Lounge Act
Fugazi - Blueprint (live)
Husker Du - Somewhere
Janelle Monae - Dance or Die
Bob Dylan - Visions of Johanna (live, acoustic)
Gorrilaz - Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach
John Frusciante - Heaven
America - Ventura Highway
Fugazi - Repeater
Metallica - All Nightmare Long
Nirvana - Lithium
The Clash - Death or Glory
Metallica - Broken, Beat & Scarred
3 Doors Down - It's Not My Time
Fugazi - Life & Limb (live)
Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #2
The Clash - Rudie Can't Fail
Metallica - Frantic

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
12 miles in 1:29:37. First 12-miler of the season, and only two weeks before the half. Finished faster than I started, which was nice but no mile splits.

Playlist (I actually brought the ipod in to work this time!1) - this was a shuffle that worked out really well.

John Fruschiante - Dark Light
Arcade Fire - Month of May
Fugazi - Nightshop (live)
John Frusciante - One More of Me
Nirvana - Lounge Act
Fugazi - Blueprint (live)
Husker Du - Somewhere
Janelle Monae - Dance or Die
Bob Dylan - Visions of Johanna (live, acoustic)
Gorrilaz - Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach
John Frusciante - Heaven
America - Ventura Highway
Fugazi - Repeater
Metallica - All Nightmare Long
Nirvana - Lithium
The Clash - Death or Glory
Metallica - Broken, Beat & Scarred
3 Doors Down - It's Not My Time
Fugazi - Life & Limb (live)
Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #2
The Clash - Rudie Can't Fail
Metallica - Frantic

DAMN-Nice work!!!

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1...2....3....REPEATER!

5 for me today with a friend whom I don't see very often. Fkking cold.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
DAMN-Nice work!!!

thanks! I was convinced to run shorter but faster this season and got into a binge of quick 4-milers which was good for turnover...but psychologically it had me wondering if I could manage the distance. Also, I got to experiment with shot bloks to make sure they wouldn't cause distress over distance, and things were fine. Carrying them will be an annoyance, but such is life.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
thanks! I was convinced to run shorter but faster this season and got into a binge of quick 4-milers which was good for turnover...but psychologically it had me wondering if I could manage the distance. Also, I got to experiment with shot bloks to make sure they wouldn't cause distress over distance, and things were fine. Carrying them will be an annoyance, but such is life.
Great time Thomas, your training looks a lot like what the Hanson camp have their athletes do to get ready. There is a cool article about it in December's Runnersworld. RE: carrying shot blocks, have you tried out any 2 in 1 shorts? The Asics ones I am using now have easy to use front pockets, and the compression brief beneath is the most comfortable short I have tried yet. I can carry 4-5 gu's in the pockets and after I get going I hardly notice them. I am off to the running store today to pick up some new shoes. . . . . . Burning through a pair of running shoes is very satisfying. My asics speedstars prob have 50 miles to many on them. BTW: What half are you running Thomas?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
Great time Thomas, your training looks a lot like what the Hanson camp have their athletes do to get ready. There is a cool article about it in December's Runnersworld. RE: carrying shot blocks, have you tried out any 2 in 1 shorts? The Asics ones I am using now have easy to use front pockets, and the compression brief beneath is the most comfortable short I have tried yet. I can carry 4-5 gu's in the pockets and after I get going I hardly notice them.

I am off to the running store today to pick up some new shoes. . . . . . Burning through a pair of running shoes is very satisfying. My asics speedstars prob have 50 miles to many on them.

BTW: What half are you running Thomas?

Thanks - I read an article about Team Hanson a few years back and I really liked the grassroots spirit behind the team. I knew what they were doing, but it took a friend of mine to finally push me into buy-in. That, and a newborn in the house, which really put a crimp in my schedule.

Shorts, I have bought reluctantly. Strangely I have a ton of shirts, but maybe a half-dozen shorts. Might be time to add another pair, though. After this run I estimate I need to carry only four bloks (2/3 of a package) which ought not be a major imposition. Actually they'd fit in the back pocket of my adidas shorts. Just need something to keep them from sticking to the shorts.

I'm running the Aramco half (part of the Chevron marathon). Third time to run it, and they've moved the finish line each year. Ideally, I'll train for the full marathon next year and see if I can qualify for Boston.

My splits, btw: (1.33 miles each loop)

10:01
10:16
10:12
10:02
9:50
9:54
9:53
9:48
9:40

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2.22 in 15 mins...I'm a small-timer.

But I felt good and lifted after.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dPFvg.png

not exactly "baller sneakers"
Second pair of Asics speedstars, as well as a new pair of compression socks.
Broke in the new shoes with a recovery run tonight.
8.2 miles in 1:01 (close to a 7:35 pace I think)

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did a dreadmill workout today.
Started @ 10% grade for the first .75 miles, reduced by 1% every half mile until I reached a 5K.
Every 1% reduction in grade I increased the speed by .2 mph.
Pretty taxing on the cardio system, but not so much on the legs....the hills and trails are paying off.
Hit the 5K point at 26 min roughly (was wiping the profuse sweat off my head when I hit that point).
BTW, if any of you get Plantar Faciatis I may have figured out a cure that invovles running!

I duct tape my arches to the point where a significant stretch is impossible, so far I am getting better by the day, off the NSAIDS and I can run my long runs with no discomfort.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran a little 5km workout today -
1 mile warm up in about 6:50
1\t00:05:44\t1.00\t05:44
2\t00:05:48\t1.00\t05:48
3\t00:05:41\t1.00\t05:41
4\t00:00:38\t0.13\t05:06
(about 17:30 for 5k)

1 mile cool down at goal MP.
Was hurting for time so I thought I would try to crank one. I definitely felt like I had a ton more to give a 5k effort so it was nice to feel comfortable with the ~5:40 pace.

Today marks 18 months without a cigarette for me, and two years without a drink!

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From yesterday... Another dreadmill workout. The gym is in our office building, which is mostly a plus, but it also means things come up like what happened yesterday: I wanted to do a 45-min. run, but a production issue came up and my boss came into the gym to pull me into a meeting.
frown.gif
4.37 miles in 36:14 (avg. 8:17 min/mi) Yesterday's dreadmill shuffle playlist: Jethro Tull - "New Day Yesterday" Soundgarden - "Outshined" G. Love & Special Sauce - "Rodeo Clowns" Porcupine Tree - "Trains [Extended Version]" Radiohead - "Talk Show Host" Van Halen - "Atomic Punk" Alice in Chains - "God Am" Led Zeppelin - "Immigrant Song" Metallica - "Eye of the Beholder"

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was ready to go yesterday, but stayed in - thinking it prudent to not dash off another few miles the morning after running 12. So today I got up, wasn't really 100% due to a late-running tax class and the tea that kept me awake though it... but proceeded to run 6.7 in 50:06.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This morning, 5 miles. There is something special about hearing the "crunch, crunch, crunch" sound of running on frozen snow and ice. 18 degrees at run time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads