• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best suit movie / suit movies top 10?

either/or

Reaction score
Hi guys, long time lurker here so time for a second post: First of all, thank you all for ruining my life.
devil.gif
I've been hanging around here for 3 months or so, done my homework, read Flusser's book, learned more about men's clothing than I've been doing the previous 40 years, but all I see now is suits suits suits, shoes shoes shoes...
plain.gif
-whenever I watch a movie now, I always wind up checking out some guys suit, tie, lapel width, gorge height, button stance, whatever. As a matter of fact I was checking out this blonde girl on redtube the other day and caught myself thinking she had nice waist-supression! (and no, girls on redtube don't wear suits
devil.gif
) Which brings me to my question: any recommendations/comments on movies/series that would qualify in the "suit-Appreciation" category? So far, all I have is Grant's highly praised suit in "North by Northwest" and Douglas' outfit (done by Flusser?) in "Wall street". Any suggestions would be welcome. Maybe we could even build a top 10? (external multiple-choice poll here. ) tia, and happy styling!

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Hustler. Gleeson's suit is not just great but also shows how a well tailored suit can look on the more corpulent gentleman.

johnvw

Reaction score
"The Firm," a '90s Tom Cruise movie. Paul Stuart suits, I think, for Cruise and at least some of the rest of the cast. Gene Hackman, though, I think wears Canali (according to closing credits). Great sartorial splendor for those in "the firm," IMO.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great Gatsby
Chinatown
Leatherheads

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Alfie (original)
Italian Job (original)
Quadrophenia
The Graduate (some nice preppy SCs)
Untouchables
Ocean's 11
Just about anything with Cary Grant, James Stewart or Fred Astaire
Some of the Bonds (see Matt S's very good blog)

BH1

Reaction score
+1 on Chinatown.

To Catch a Thief

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, most films with Grant, Stewart, Astaire, I quite agree there. The Firm is good. The Game as well, but only Michael Douglas looks well attired in that one. Obviously the two Wall Streets are quite good. Heck, even the DB suit worn by Bruce Wayne (Lewis Wilson, current Bond producer Michael G. Wilson's father) in the el-cheapo Batman serial of 1943 is quite nice.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inception
The Bank Job
Swordfish (a bit late-90s trendy, but with panache)
A Perfect Murder (besides the black tie scene, Douglas had quite the suit collection)
Godfather (I & II mostly)

I'm sure I'll think of others in short order.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By Ocean's 11 you mean the 1960 one right? Not the one with Brad Pitt rocking his double cuffs unfolded.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
By Ocean's 11 you mean the 1960 one right? Not the one with Brad Pitt rocking his double cuffs unfolded.

Of course!
biggrin.gif

Pitt occasionally gets it right but is very often a sartorial disaster, showing up to black tie events in open neck etc. but you can't fault ol' blue eyes et al.

DorianGrey

Reaction score
I'll give you one you don't hear everyday - "The Antichrist" with Mel Ferrer directed by Alberto De Martino. Meant to be a 70's Exorcist knockoff movie, turned out to be one of the worst movies ever made, but all the men are immaculately turned out. I have the DVD and watch is sometimes with the sound off just to look at the 70's Italian style. Heard about it from an Italian friend.

I also like Tailor of Panama with Geoffrey Rush. There are many more of course.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised -- shocked, even -- by the level of style and quality on display in the wardrobe in Rocky III, upon a recent revisiting of the film. Totally serious.

itbegins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
I was pleasantly surprised -- shocked, even -- by the level of style and quality on display in the wardrobe in Rocky III, upon a recent revisiting of the film. Totally serious.

Ahhh, now your avatar is starting to make sense...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads