• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inis Meain knitwear

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barney's also stocks Inis Meain.

Originally Posted by Racing Green
Typically Irish that you lot can pick up Inis Meain easier than I can here in Dublin. It's the same with Donegal tweeds and knits. I spend a fair bit of time in Donegal and the lack of marketing and pride in their products makes me despair.

Ha I was looking forward to visiting Magee of Donegal when I drove through there a couple years ago but when you go in all you see is high street standard merch. The bolts of tweed etc. were in another room and certainly not the highlight.

Racing Green

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Ha I was looking forward to visiting Magee of Donegal when I drove through there a couple years ago but when you go in all you see is high street standard merch. The bolts of tweed etc. were in another room and certainly not the highlight.

That Magee shop in Donegal town is particularly depressing. So much potential wasted. I'd love to get my hands on it like one of those retail makeover shows.

Donegal tweed and Irish knitwear in general is in the same state that Harris tweed got itself into. That's why you have to admire what Inis Meain are doing.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Forgot to add earlier: Inis Meain now has a distributor in NYC and it will probably become easier to find their stuff stateside over the next year or two.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
inis2sm.jpg
inis3sm.jpg
inis1sm.jpg
The Fedex guy was nice enough to stop by on a holiday this morning. This turtleneck is so incredibly warm and soft. At first, I was unsure about the neck because it is somewhat loose, but after putting it on, I'd say it's just perfect. So worth full retail from Nitty Gritty and more than makes up for sizing my Inverallan incorrectly.

Gaillimh Abu

Reaction score
Very interesting, never thought i would see Aran Sweaters on the styleforum. Hand Knit ones with cable designs usually go for around the €120 mark, il have to have a look at Inis Meain's to see if there is a difference in quality or is it just good marketing or both?

Oh and hello everyone.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
inis2sm.jpg

inis3sm.jpg

inis1sm.jpg

The Fedex guy was nice enough to stop by on a holiday this morning. This turtleneck is so incredibly warm and soft. At first, I was unsure about the neck because it is somewhat loose, but after putting it on, I'd say it's just perfect. So worth full retail from Nitty Gritty and more than makes up for sizing my Inverallan incorrectly.

The knit looks much tighter than my Scottish version. Very nice.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barneys had a fair isle that had an extremely softhand. It was a beautiful piece and I'm considering picking it up if it's still around.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Looks great Zissou.

Agreed. Good pickup and fit there, z. Congrats.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it correct to go TTS on all the knits at Nitty Gritty?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Best purchase of 2011
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Gaillimh Abu
Very interesting, never thought i would see Aran Sweaters on the styleforum. Hand Knit ones with cable designs usually go for around the €120 mark, il have to have a look at Inis Meain's to see if there is a difference in quality or is it just good marketing or both?

Oh and hello everyone.

Hello there. I don't think there's any comparison between the typical Aran knit and Inis Meain, aside from that they may look similar.

Originally Posted by ManofKent
The knit looks much tighter than my Scottish version. Very nice.
Thank you. It is much slimmer than a typical Aran, which is partly why I chose it. The fit is excellent.

Originally Posted by jaydc7
Is it correct to go TTS on all the knits at Nitty Gritty?
Hard to say about all of them, but mine is TTS. I'm almost always a Medium.

Gaillimh Abu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Thanks all. Best purchase of 2011
wink.gif

Hello there. I don't think there's any comparison between the typical Aran knit and Inis Meain, aside from that they may look similar.

That one fits you like a glove and it looks great, well wear. When i was looking for chunkier knits this year most of what was in the shops was poor quality. I hadn't thought of Aran's until i walked past the local store. The quality was great but the fits on the traditional types were quite boxy unfortunately.

I live close to the Aran Islands and visit during the summer months il have to take a look when i'm out.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gaillimh Abu
I live close to the Aran Islands and visit during the summer months il have to take a look when i'm out.

i'm from blarney. when i was in school i worked in the woolen mills. one of my duties was to write fake names / signatures of the lady who knit the the wool on the labels of the aran jumpers
eek.gif
rotflmao.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads