• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Pittsburgh, PA. I missed it when it came to Philly about ten years ago. Not going to miss it again.
Ah, I was at the show in Philly -- closest it had ever been to my neck of the woods. It was pretty great -- I didn't go to any of the events, just did the show. Definitely worthwhile. ~ H

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Any of you Houston guys (or anyone) have any experience with CCC Ammo out of Conroe? I was thinking about picking up some their remanufactured ammo

Originally Posted by JustinW
Nope - but please let me know if you try them. I've been meaning to stop-in at Ammo To Go next time I'm driving through Brenham without the family. Their bulk prices seem reasonable of you're not paying shipping ontop.

Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I haven't even heard of them, but if everything works out well, please let me know, as I live in the Spring area, and a short trip of I-45 would be ideal.

Picked up 250 rounds of .45 ACP for about $85 after tax yesterday at a local gun show. Managed to get through about 20 rounds while it wasn't raining for a few minutes, and so far it seems like a fine deal. Pretty clean stuff. They also do a wide variety of .223 loads on top of all the other basics, both new and remanufactured.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Handguns:

HK USP Compact .40 cal
Walther P88 9mm Parabellum
Colt Stainless Python 4" bbl, .357 cal
Colt Detective Special, .38 cal
Makarov 9x18 Kurz

Rifles:
Ruger Mini-14, .223
Ruger Mini-30, 7.62x39mm
Colt AR-15, pre-ban
Chinese AK-47

Shot Guns:

Beretta 686 12 ga. Onyx Over/Under
Remington 870 12 ga. pump

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Ah, I was at the show in Philly -- closest it had ever been to my neck of the woods. It was pretty great -- I didn't go to any of the events, just did the show. Definitely worthwhile.

I was an idiot for missing the Philly show. I was living in Center City Philadelphia at the time and decided not to go. I could have walked there.
plain.gif
Oh well, I haven't been back to Pittsburgh since 1997 so this will be a good time to revisit my old stomping grounds in the 'burgh.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up 250 rounds of .45 ACP for about $85 after tax yesterday at a local gun show. Managed to get through about 20 rounds while it wasn't raining for a few minutes, and so far it seems like a fine deal. Pretty clean stuff. They also do a wide variety of .223 loads on top of all the other basics, both new and remanufactured.

Cool! I was out of town this weekend or I would have gone to that show.

I need an NDS receiver and it really irks me to pay $35 to a local FFL transfer a little bit of bent steel! I was hoping someone would be selling them at a gunshow. Did you happen to see any?

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool! I was out of town this weekend or I would have gone to that show.

I need an NDS receiver and it really irks me to pay $35 to a local FFL transfer a little bit of bent steel! I was hoping someone would be selling them at a gunshow. Did you happen to see any?

No, can't say that I did. Assuming we're talking about the same show (Tejas Gun Show @ Ft. Bend Co. Fairgrounds) you didn't miss much. Very small show. Not much in the way of components, mostly used guns. A few antiques, but generally just used. Does your FFL just charge that $35 as a flat rate for anything?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, can't say that I did. Assuming we're talking about the same show (Tejas Gun Show @ Ft. Bend Co. Fairgrounds) you didn't miss much. Very small show. Not much in the way of components, mostly used guns. A few antiques, but generally just used. Does your FFL just charge that $35 as a flat rate for anything?

I saw the signs up on I-10 for a gunshow this weekend, so I guess that was it.

I really need to find a decent FFL that isn't too far out to give my business to. It seems like $35/$40 is pretty standard within Houston though.
plain.gif

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GunsAmerica and Gunbroker have lists of transfer FFLs by zip code, you might find a home FFL who's cheaper.

Went to try out a new range today - greatsouthwestgun.com - will probably switch memberships from my current indoor range if they don't get too busy at peak times. Much better lit and ventilated, better sound deadening material all around. Took three guns - my Springfield EMP 9mm, Glock 17 Gen 4, Nighthawk Talon in 9mm (borrowed from my father). Brought 450 rounds but I was getting a little wild after 250.

50 rounds, 10 yards, fairly rapid, with the Nighthawk

Untitled by celluloidpropaganda, on Flickr

The trio

Untitled by celluloidpropaganda, on Flickr

The EMP was predictably difficult - the slide wasn't chambering rounds from recoil, I'd have to partially rack about half of every magazine. Going to oil it up real well and try to put another 500 rounds downrange before I send it back to Springfield.

Talon is amazing, but it needs a good set of VZ Grips or similar, the slick Nighthawk wood grips don't give a lot of purchase.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
I was an idiot for missing the Philly show. I was living in Center City Philadelphia at the time and decided not to go. I could have walked there.
plain.gif
Oh well, I haven't been back to Pittsburgh since 1997 so this will be a good time to revisit my old stomping grounds in the 'burgh.

My, I drove a number of hours to get there. Pittsburgh is interesting, and close to Cleveland, which I enjoy. ~ H

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TF plan to announce increased restrictions on Saiga 12 imports on Monday. Now might be a good time to buy one, if you haven't already.

I am meeting a lawyer on Monday to set-up my NFA Trust. Then I start work on the SBR Form One!

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ATF plan to announce increased restrictions on Saiga 12 imports on Monday. Now might be a good time to buy one, if you haven't already.

I am meeting a lawyer on Monday to set-up my NFA Trust. Then I start work on the SBR Form One!

Sweet! I wish I had something exciting going on haha

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sweet! I wish I had something exciting going on haha

I jumped on an unissued 1986 Tula Arsenal AKS74U ('Krinkov') kit last week after receiving an overdue payment for some contracting work I did last year that I had given up on. Yay! The markings and condition are fantastic. There is a guy in South Texas making some really nice receivers - better than NDS as far as authenticity. Quality barrels are an issue (US made barrels are questionable or there is a guy reprofiling new DDR AK74 barrels). Mags and ammo are cheap. I already ordered a Stormwerks mini rail to mount an Aimpoint micro red dot. HOWEVER .... SBR tax stamp, NFA Trust, parts, etc .... I'm going to have to sell something out of the safe to pay for the new addition. Boo!

I'm off to Impact Zone - a private range out of Houston this morning.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Looks like a fun range. Is that a Dragunov in the second pic? Kinda looks like one but kinda doesn't. Maybe the wrap is throwing me off

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads