• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I remember seeing ads for Brut in the old Playboys my dad hid in the garage. Back then it was...well...respectable. Now...not so much, but scents continue to fade in and out of fashion.
Those 80's Playboys were so good, I miss pubic hair on women, I don't care what you people say.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Haha, you're right! I was nearly stoned to death on BN for daring to speak against teh Lutens a few years back! For about a year, everybody-and-his-cousin was willing to trade his own grandmother for a bottle of Chergui, and to say anything other than that it was the nectar of teh Godz, was to paint yourself a traitor! BUT, really, the only houses overall with a consistent vision that I find continually interesting are Caron, Guerlain, L'a P, Parfum d'empire, Montale, The Different Company, Comme des Garcons, and Malle (of course.) Most of the other big names (Creed, Lutens, TF, Goutal, MPG, and so many others) just have never made me !scream!, and at their prices, they should. Of course I'm leaving out several in each category... but just to say that fragrance-groupthink can be as deadly for the wallet as is fashion groupthink. I had more than my share of blind-buys based on recs from others, and found largely that it was a big waste.
Just out of curiosity Rach what do you like out of Parfum d'Empire, Montale, TDC, and Comme des Garcons?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the Lutens florals. Rose du Nuit is really fantastic. The heavy orientals are so big and sticky sweet it's a bit much to wear them. Then again, I like Borneo, and MKK, and Ambre Sultan is nice in small doses, so it's hard to generalize.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
Those 80's Playboys were so good, I miss pubic hair on women, I don't care what you people say.

no kidding. years and years ago I found an old book store that was selling back issues of playboy, so I'd go by, chat up the old lady who owned the place, and buy them here and there. When she went out of business, I swooped down and wound up with box-loads. Eventually I paired up with a girlfriend and jettisoned the bulk of them.

inconsequential story #2 - In college I had a subscription (89-93). Eventually I bought something off the playboy catalog and let my subscription lapse. Playboy was kind enough to give me a one-year complimentary subscription for my devoted patronage of years past. I think this was '96 or so and I had already moved out of my parents' house. Anyway, I don't know what happened, but they're still sending them. To my parents' house.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Just out of curiosity Rach what do you like out of Parfum d'Empire, Montale, TDC, and Comme des Garcons?
I've not kept up with them in the past 2 years or so, so they may have added new ones I don't know. Parfum d'empire, I found both Ambre Russe and Cuir d'ottoman both to be wonderful for their "types;" a thick, luxurious amber and a foul, bitter, but very elegant leather. TDC... basically everything they make. Rose Poivree, Jasmine de nuit, sel de vetiver, bois d'iris, osmanthus... Montale: All the "classic" aouds, patchouli leaves, greyland, chypre vanille, orient extreme and sweet oriental dream, vanille absolu. Fougeres Marines and Embruns d'essaouira were both pretty boring/lackluster. CdG, several of their series, of course Red, Incense, but also the "Cologne" series. Vettiveru and Citrico were a lot of fun. Anbar, too warmed up wonderfully with body heat. Odeur 53, IIRC, which smelled like rubber and butter, was a no-go. (haha) These were just the ones that popped into mind.
Originally Posted by Baron
I like the Lutens florals. Rose du Nuit is really fantastic. The heavy orientals are so big and sticky sweet it's a bit much to wear them. Then again, I like Borneo, and MKK, and Ambre Sultan is nice in small doses, so it's hard to generalize.
Good point. Though, if I'm on fragrance no. 7 or 8 from a house and haven't had ONE yet that's really hit with me... I usually don't feel too bad about generalizing.
lol8[1].gif

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
no kidding. years and years ago I found an old book store that was selling back issues of playboy, so I'd go by, chat up the old lady who owned the place, and buy them here and there. When she went out of business, I swooped down and wound up with box-loads. Eventually I paired up with a girlfriend and jettisoned the bulk of them.

inconsequential story #2 - In college I had a subscription (89-93). Eventually I bought something off the playboy catalog and let my subscription lapse. Playboy was kind enough to give me a one-year complimentary subscription for my devoted patronage of years past. I think this was '96 or so and I had already moved out of my parents' house. Anyway, I don't know what happened, but they're still sending them. To my parents' house.

Well, that's nice for your pops then
smile.gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc

Good point. Though, if I'm on fragrance no. 7 or 8 from a house and haven't had ONE yet that's really hit with me... I usually don't feel too bad about generalizing.
lol8[1].gif

Well, I'll agree with you that I'm not a big fan of their style in general, or at least I don't want to own or wear almost any of them. On the other hand, when I went to Paris I really was happy to visit the shop and smell all of the exclusive scent. I find them all interesting to sample if not to wear.

Dane

Reaction score
Lutens has some great scents...but if you take into account the number of scents in his library, there are more misses than hits.

I, for one, could not live without Iris Silver Mist, even though I almost never wear it. I just like to have it around. El Attarine would be my other fav.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Well, I'll agree with you that I'm not a big fan of their style in general, or at least I don't want to own or wear almost any of them. On the other hand, when I went to Paris I really was happy to visit the shop and smell all of the exclusive scent. I find them all interesting to sample if not to wear.
Originally Posted by Dane
Lutens has some great scents...but if you take into account the number of scents in his library, there are more misses than hits. I, for one, could not live without Iris Silver Mist, even though I almost never wear it. I just like to have it around. El Attarine would be my other fav.
See, that's the real problem with Lutens. All the good **** is holed up in the Paris boutique. I've never even heard of the two Dane mentioned before now. MKK only came to the American market recently as well.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, all that Lutens talk reminded me I have a bottle of Chergui in the back of a drawer somewhere. So...Chergui on a damp, foggy, cool morning.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jules today, on another summery day in L.A.

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
See, that's the real problem with Lutens. All the good **** is holed up in the Paris boutique. I've never even heard of the two Dane mentioned before now. MKK only came to the American market recently as well.

There are SOO many..but yes, most of the good stuff is in the "exclusive" line. Hopefully they'll add some of the good stuff to the ltd. ed.'s in the future.

Wearing LL Patchouli 24 oil again today.
smile.gif

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eau d'Hermes. I've had a bottle of this for about two and a half years now, and I love it just as much today as the first time I tried it. I never get bored with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads