• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
To be honest a part of me, probably the boy who worked part time in retail for 6 years through high school/uni, felt a little bad about wasting the SA's time. You know a hit them for the sizing then buy online.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
You’re a knowledgeable guy, why didn’t you just engage the SA in conversation about the Church’s? They’ll know you mean business. Better yet, call them out on it next time.

Yup - call them out and assert your right to have them help you get your size right so you can buy online.

I'd assume they know thats what people do nowadays and their diffidence wasn't about how you are dressed. They had you sussed.

Surprisingly I've know people who originally intended to buy things online who after trying things on in store felt they didn't mind paying extra for service etc. My bike shop guy has the attitude that you can't stop people buying online so he says hes happy to install/fit stuff bought online.

__PG__

Reaction score
The franchise cobbler on Collins St (near King St) charges me $40 IIRC. He does a pretty good job.

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Surprisingly I've know people who originally intended to buy things online who after trying things on in store felt they didn't mind paying extra for service etc. My bike shop guy has the attitude that you can't stop people buying online so he says hes happy to install/fit stuff bought online.

The issue seems to be that when it comes to English shoes and Australian prices that had better be some damn good service, seeing as it comes at a bit of a premium.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Has anyone tried By Nicholas?

The dinner jacket picture on their website leaves me underwhelmed
plain.gif

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
The decline of Country Road is very sad.

I had quite a lot of CR stuff throughout the 1990s, up to when they switched manufacturing to China in the late 1990s.

I appreciate PG, fxh & others' point that quality isn't necessarily related to what the "made in .." label says, but CR did seem to take a dive in quality around the late 90s after I moved o/s. I used to pick up a few things from them on visits home but eventually had trouble finding anything worth buying.

Originally Posted by CHECKstar
What are their footwear like?

Awful, at least the pair of chukkas I had from them were unwearable after a week or so and had to be tossed.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Thats what the Harvey Normans want - to punish customers by making it so bloody ridiculous to shop online that you can only be bothered doing it in OZ.

Oh I agree - that's exactly what they are trying to do. It's not about principle and level playing fields, that's just the rhetoric. They are trying to have implemented what is, in effect, a proxy trade barrier... indeed, there could be a challenge to the legitimacy of imposing such a system at the WTO level, as NZ did recently against Australia for banning NZ apple imports because of 'quarantine concerns'... certainly if some of the larger online retailers feel the market here is lucrative enough they may think about legal action to test the waters...

Anyway, let's hope it doesn't come to that by making sure we drive home to our elected leaders just how unpopular a move it would be.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Just catching up with this thread since returning from NYC.

I must say hello to Ethan one of these days and see how he is going. I hope he finds a place where his talents are put to good use and he is justly rewarded for his abilities.

Sorry for the necroquotation but I couldn't help but notice this post:

BTW JCrew stuff is pretty atrocious. You would be laughed at by the Americans on this forum for lamenting their absence. My first encounter was in Boston when I walked into their store mistaking it for a JPress. I was horrified. Then some American on this forum pointed out my error. This time I checked out both the JCrew and JPress stores in NYC. JCrew remain awful but I wasn't too impressed by the dull conservativeness of JPress either.

You know, as for Country Rd their current stuff looks like it is made in the same Chinese factory as JCrew. There was time when CR stuff was made in Oz and was really well made. I found an old 1980s CR shirt in my GF's wardrobe and was amazed at how well made it was. It still looked new.

A lady at the 6th Ave Brooks Brother's store (next to the Radio City Music Hall) asked me about CR and she said that in the old days her two favourites stores were CR and BB. In those days (1980s), these two firms really made nice stuff - made in the US and Oz respectively.

Other than that, I know too much about cut and construction for my own good these days. I can dissect a garment with my eyes. It totally takes the Romance out of it. I go through high end stuff on 5th and Madison shaking my head in disgust, or worse merely react with cold and objective indifference.

Sator - I'm going to NYC in 2 weeks myself. Got any decent reccomendations beyond the usual Century 21 etc etc hype?

I've got about $1200-1500 to invest in a new suit, and am loathe to start a new post on this site asking for suggestions only to inevitably get 4 million Americans giving me all sorts of ridiculous ideas.

Cheers.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axel Ferguson
The issue seems to be that when it comes to English shoes and Australian prices that had better be some damn good service, seeing as it comes at a bit of a premium.

I had a look at the Church shoes at Henry Bucks in Sydney and after buying off Herrings I would not bother with them there, at least a 300% plus mark up and as for service I bought a tie on sale and the fool of a shop assistant charged me full price for it. FTFAJ

jas0nt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axel Ferguson

Agreed. Saw Loake shoes (not 1880's) sell at DJs for twice the price of some 1880's online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads