• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Deco Range 2010

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
For the prices of these I can get two pairs of Ugolini bespoke in exotic leathers. wut wut?!!?!?!
truth! ugolini is often forgotten though, because it's a florence only operation.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the prices of these I can get two pairs of Ugolini bespoke in exotic leathers. wut wut?!!?!?!

Well, you're exaggerating a bit, it's the first pair and more than half the price the second on the same last
smile.gif
And that for non-exotic hides...so the value is obviously really bad
ffffuuuu.gif

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Son Of Saphir
Really?
facepalm.gif

What about Lattanzi, Vass and other good made rtw shoe?
Me think Tony doesn't know what he talk about.
G&G Deco have [me believe] hand carved waist and inseamed by hand,
but sole still gemmed.
How can gemmed sole be superior to anything non bespoke?

Eventhough the sole is gemmed?
facepalm.gif

He assures me that the Gemming used is the highest quality stuff and as strong as a leather rib. I don't know how this Gemming is attached to the shoe, as you may think the glue may give out eventually, that I don't know. If you compare to EG Top Drawer, Anthony Cleverley or JLP Prestige, Tony assures me the bar has been raised.

As for Vass, they are great value shoes and full hand made but lets not kid ourselves that they are the finest finished pair of shoes we have ever seen. They are only good value because they are made in Eastern Europe where skilled craftsman can work for less.

As for Lattanzi, I don't believe they are particularly cheap

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
I think I'd like to put him into into a fight vs. Silvano Lattanzi.
Anyway, Lattanzi has proven to be really top notch, while I know a retailer who cancelled his G&G order because what he received was noticably beyond what they showed him as samples.
That was quite some time ago, right after they started their rtw line though.
That said, I have never had (or actively aspired to have, just personal stylistic preference) a G&G shoe in my hands.
The statement you received just strikes me as a little too hoipolloi...espescially after I wandered around the Pitti in order to hear that (almost) everything from everyone is so 100% handmade that it's kind of a 150% product in the end.

G&G know they had some issues with quality at the beginning of their production, they are the first to admit it. Right now the quality of their MTO's is very high, the last ones I received were better than the ones made shortly after they moved into their own workshop. As Luk Cha has told me his last bespoke are even finer finished than all the previous ones. I will receive a pair of bespoke from them sometime this month and I am interested to see how they turn out

I may order a Deco after I see them in HK and let you know how it turns out

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855

I may order a Deco after I see them in HK and let you know how it turns out

Why are you ordering a DECO when you are already their bespoke customer?

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980

I need a formal black shoe and not sure I want to drop bespoke prices on a shoe I may only wear 3 or 4 times per year tops.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

冇得解

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
what do you mean 'no meaning'

no reason why

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkiula
How much are they charging for these babies?

1250 British Pounds to start, which includes lasted shoe trees and a handmade box

As nice of shoes Ugolini makes, he does not pay his Japanese workers who make his shoes, not very commendable if you ask me! That's the only reason you get them cheap!

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
1250 British Pounds to start, which includes lasted shoe trees and a handmade box As nice of shoes Ugolini makes, he does not pay his Japanese workers who make his shoes, not very commendable if you ask me! That's the only reason you get them cheap!
His Japanese apprentices works for free willingly. They learn the craft, he gets some free labor, everyone is happy, who are you to judge?

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
His Japanese apprentices works for free willingly. They learn the craft, he gets some free labor, everyone is happy, who are you to judge?

I understand apprentices working for free, as I did for Stefano Bemer but I was under the impression, because one of my colleagues knew someone who had been more than just an apprentice and was still not getting paid anything. One thing is not paying apprentice's who are actually costing the shoemaker to learn with use of materials and time, another is not paying people who are making shoes for your clients! I am to judge because I have worked in the field and know people who do too and see how little they get paid while they are doing all of the work.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
I understand apprentices working for free, as I did for Stefano Bemer but I was under the impression, because one of my colleagues knew someone who had been more than just an apprentice and was still not getting paid anything. One thing is not paying apprentice's who are actually costing the shoemaker to learn with use of materials and time, another is not paying people who are making shoes for your clients! I am to judge because I have worked in the field and know people who do too and see how little they get paid while they are doing all of the work.

I'm not a client so I don't have game in this debate, but I think if conditions are so bad, the apprentice can very well leave the shop. Nobody is being forced to work there. You can't judge because you are not personally involved in the situation you are commenting on.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not a client so I don't have game in this debate, but I think if conditions are so bad, the apprentice can very well leave the shop. Nobody is being forced to work there. You can't judge because you are not personally involved in the situation you are commenting on.

I can understand what you are saying but you can't say I can't judge. That's like saying that you shouldn't judge all of the terrible things that go on in this world because you are not personally involved. Give me a break. My wife, who is Italian (from Italy), worked for a high fashion house in Florence and who frequently got paid 3 or 4 months late because the company claimed to have no money, yet the owner was taking vacations here and there on the companies' dime. Just because I was not directly involved does not mean that I cannot say that this is wrong.

While, yes, they can leave at any time, what I have experienced first hand is that many of these Japanese apprentices/workers are very humble and will do anything that the 'master shoemaker' tells them and do it because of their dedication to learn, or keep on going with the craft. And just because it is their decision to stay while they are not getting paid, does not make it okay for the shoemaker to continue exploiting them. Think of how you would feel if it was happening to you....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads