• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underrated US Cities

inq89

Reaction score
How about Durham, NC?

I am biased because I grew up around there but I am liking the new changes. They're renovating the old tobacco buildings and the city is getting a quaint southern charm to it. We get a bad rap for crime but it's not as bad as before. RTP is down the road, Raleigh and Chapel Hill aren't far away either. Good universities, healthcare, weather, cheap standard of living. And the growing population in central NC is making the whole area pretty exciting.

kruze

Reaction score
I am sure I could say this about a lot of bad cities but Springfield, MA is underrated. Or actually yea it does kind of suck, well the bad parts. But if we look at Longmeadow, MA or Enfield, CT its actually a pretty good area. If Longmeadow wasn't so expensive, it would be much better.

But Enfield and the whole greater Springfield Area is underrated. You can get to Hartford [OK nightlife, too much bros, but good choice for finance type jobs], Providence, NYC, Boston, Worcester [again for jobs, nothing else], go north for Ski Areas [berkshires, VT or NH] all within a few hours. Take the train out of Springfield and you can get connected to Boston, NY, Philly, DC for cheap. So even though Springfield is pretty dump, there are some decent underrated surrounding cities. If Springfield got it's **** together and 75% of the current residents moved out to like Detroit, it'd be wayyy better.
Another thing to note, massive history in the city. Basketball Hall, Dr Seuss, Indian Motorcycle, birthplace of dj kruze, etc.
Colleges are aplenty. So commuting back home say for the holidays, wouldn't be that bad.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
Oh yeah, and I like Columbia MO as well.

Columbia MO can barely be considered a city by many.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Cleveland! I love Cleveland and think of it as my home -- just finished a long weekend there. Severance Hall, the Flying Fig, Lola, Light Bistro, Cleveland museum of art, much shopping, Westside Market, Tremont, incredibly beautiful indoor spaces, good cheap food (read: Souper Market), Ohio City, beautiful bridges, cheap apartments, and the very best bar on the planet earth: The Velvet Tango Room.

I love your constant support of Cleveland. The cemetery you went to was it called Lakeview Cemetery? Also avoid kinsmen and east Cleveland at all costs. The city saddens me because with the right planning and effort it really could be like a mini Chicago, but between the corruption and general lack of direction when it comes to doing anything, its going to be a long time before something happens.

splitpeamaster

Reaction score
Simi Valley
biggrin.gif

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
I love your constant support of Cleveland. The cemetery you went to was it called Lakeview Cemetery? Also avoid kinsmen and east Cleveland at all costs. The city saddens me because with the right planning and effort it really could be like a mini Chicago, but between the corruption and general lack of direction when it comes to doing anything, its going to be a long time before something happens.
The cemetery Huntsman was driving through wasn't Lakeview. Given the route he was taking it was most likely Woodland Cemetery. Lakeview Cemetery is certainly worth a visit. Many of the Rockefellers are buried there along with President Garfield and Elliott Ness.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
The people are nice, but outside of a few small circles they are fairly stereotypical. If you plan on living here in the long run, I hope you went to Elder high school (and played football) and love cornhole.
I don't think Elder really runs **** in this town. The social elites seem to have been associated with places like Summit and CCDS. Even the "public" schools like Indian Hill and Mariemont probably have more cachet.

Originally Posted by computerpro3
I also hope you don't enjoy shopping - we have a Saks and a Nordstrom, but they're for show - they are filled with 100% John W Nordstrom shirts and Saks house brand coats. Oh, and Boss. They don't carry anything even midrange like Canali or Zegna. Want to try on a pair of Aldens, C&J, Santoni, or Tramezzas? Good luck - you'll have to drive to Chicago.
Hunt Club Clothiers carries Aldens. Romualdo's often have them as well, along with interesting brands like Paraboot. Pretty sure there are about 5 places in town where you can pick up Canali or Zegna clothes.

Originally Posted by sterlingprice
Bookmarked for the next time I go to visit the Nasty. Any chance you'd care to share a few of your favorite Indian hole-in-the-walls?
Shaan India is my favorite. I used to eat there about 5 times a week and then I got fat. Baba is also popular. There's another near West Chester that I'm forgetting about, but I've heard is good.

I am currently in Cincy, and it's not bad at all. I'm from Atlanta, and sometimes I miss the bigger atmosphere there, but Cincinnati isn't a shithole like I used to imagine when someone mentioned OH.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
The cemetery Huntsman was driving through wasn't Lakeview. Given the route he was taking it was most likely Woodland Cemetery.

Lakeview Cemetery is certainly worth a visit. Many of the Rockefellers are buried there along with President Garfield and Elliott Ness.

Forgot about Woodland. Have you been to Lakeview when daffodil hill is in bloom? Its pretty nice.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot about Woodland. Have you been to Lakeview when daffodil hill is in bloom? Its pretty nice.
I have not. I will have to keep that in mind for this spring.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Traverse City, MI (great resort town in summer or winter)
Ann Arbor, MI (great college town)

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Louisville - great architecture, a bourbon lover's paradise, friendly people
Tallahassee
Miami

I thought the exact opposite of Miami, then again i never been.

I +1 both Philly and Baltimore, both were a good deal better than I expected.

velobran

Reaction score
Cleveland, OH is pretentious as ****. People I've met from Cleveland think they are from the big city.
Columbus, OH is ok. Grew up there but moved away. Its definitely improved over the last 10 years. While it might be pretty diverse, it lacks some serious culture and many of the girls are either trashy or ghetto.

Miami sky rocketed in the late 90's then took such a dive ... its finally re-establishing itself and might make the underrated charts again soon.

Where else ... Greenville might be ok, but still holds onto its right-wing religious southern style - but I've heard it will be like Asheville, NC in about 10 years in terms of progressive thinking.

Salt Lake City is actually pretty nice too.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Haven't read this whole thread, but has anyone mentioned Ft. Worth, TX yet?

If not it's probably a reflection of how underrated it is. Downtown Ft. Worth is pretty much a model for how cool urban downtown areas can be when they are done properly. It is a college town (TCU) with great museums and a low-cost standard of living.

I believe that I heard that when ESPN/Sportcenter was in the metroplex looking for a place to put their sets during Superbowl week, they settled on Sundance Square in downtown Ft. Worth, mainly because of how flipping cool it is.

Good call. Ft. Worth is underrated by everyone not from Ft. Worth. It's downtown is refreshingly pleasant, especially for TX, but is not especially cool.

When Middle-Aged Southerners discover a place where they can actually walk from a bar to a restaurant to a cultural event, they think they've stumbled on nirvana (see New Orleans or Charleston). Ft. Worth wouldn't measure up to, say, Providence or Minneapolis in terms of cool. I'd put it on par with Des Moines.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I remember many years ago seeing a listing where the opinion of whoever making the list was that the Getty in LA was #1 and the Kimbell was #2...

Did I mention Bass Performance Hall in my last post on Ft. Worth? Amazing.

The real answer is Barnes Collection, followed by the Frick. And I say that liking the Kimbell quite a bit (formerly a member).

I'll save my tongue on the Bass PH.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew someone in city planning in Cleveland who said pretty much what you just said, almost verbatim. I'm sorry one of the conventions I used to go to in Cleveland is now in the IX center, which isn't really Cleveland. So annoying!
Originally Posted by Biggskip
The cemetery Huntsman was driving through wasn't Lakeview. Given the route he was taking it was most likely Woodland Cemetery. Lakeview Cemetery is certainly worth a visit. Many of the Rockefellers are buried there along with President Garfield and Elliott Ness.
Nice call! I looked at the satellite imagery, and Woodland must be it.
dsc1388m.jpg
I have not yet been to Lakewood cemetary, though I have heard of it. I want to see Wade Chapel rather a lot, actually.
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
The real answer is Barnes Collection, followed by the Frick. And I say that liking the Kimbell quite a bit (formerly a member). I'll save my tongue on the Bass PH.
I made a special effort to see the Barnes before it started to move from its current home (which I feel is a travesty). I have no words. Incredible. Though I;m afraid I like Renoir a little less, like de Chiricho so much more, and care about everything so much more for having seen that collection. ~ H

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
Oh yeah, and I like Columbia MO as well.

Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
Really? Nothing but a college town. I liked it when I went to school there, but that's about it.

When did you go to Mizzou, PF?

Columbia isn't much of a city, but I think it might be okay for living if I were ever to get my fill of living in the city and needed a very quiet place to wind out my days. I think the surrounding areas (or lack thereof?) tend to make Columbia look like a better place, but if you were a rich old fogey who just wanted to chase young tail, you could do worse than buying a sports car and creeping downtown Columbia every evening. That goes for a lot of other midwest college towns as well, but Columbia has a nice cost of living, at least. You can ball out on a budget.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads