• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Purchase Club (January -AND- February 2011)

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TTO
Alas, I am no longer the king of my castle, temptation was WAY to strong for me....please shame me....
redx.gif

At least have the decency to post pics of the offending items (so we can live vicariously through you)
biggrin.gif
Originally Posted by aleksandr
Something strange has happened. I've gone about two weeks without buying anything, and I feel perfectly fine. If i can spend two weeks like this, why not two months, or two years?
It comes and it goes, for a period of about 6 months I didn't buy anything without thinking about it, I almost stopped checking SF and I thought "well, I guess I'm just not into clothes anymore"... then I picked up a pair of dress pants to replace some fraying ones which opened the floodgates for a month long pre/post christmas bender
ffffuuuu.gif
next thing you know: 3 pairs of shoes (1 pair Carmina, 1 pair Gucci dress shoes, 1 pair Gucci sneakers) 3 pairs of Hugo Boss dress pants (yes, I can hear the groaning, but they don't break my balls like Mabitex) 10 pairs of marcoliani socks 1 pair Prada fur/cashmere lined gloves 1 zegna cotton/cashmere winter hat 1 Alan Paine chunky cashmere sweater ---------- Total damage ~$4k .... all because of one pair of pants on sale for $175

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I didn't buy much over the last year and then I did the exact same thing over the last month. Similarly to a sum of around 4K. Luckily, I think I just got the last of it out my system. Time to go back in to hiding. I think the key is to not look at all. I get too tempted by what I perceive as great deals.

ELG

Reaction score
I can't kid myself. I wont even make it through the weekend.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
I get too tempted by what I perceive as great deals.

I'm the same way, I get easily tempted by B&S bargains that often turn out to not quite fit or looked different in the pics. At least lately, I've been sure to make sure whatever I buy from B&S can be easily sold back on B&S, but I usually take a hit on it.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I have passed up:
One pair of plum incotex corduroy pants.
One wine-colored turtleneck cashmere sweater.

I know I will fail when walgreens has 20% off on their creed cologne, but that hasn't happened yet, and they are out of stock on their green irish tweed.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TTO, please ring in ..what did you purchase? Confess please, item for item, or at least specify how many items you purchased. You are now in the dog house, but are still IN this challenge (unless you outrightly quit). It is still enouraged that you try to be strong for the remaining weeks.
smile.gif
ELG...did you survive the weekend? If not, please confess. PTWilliams..glad to read you are being strong. I'll make an exception for you, if you sell those pink pants, you can get your cologne (small bottle only) Hope the rest of you are continuing to be strong...if not, please confess.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for the two months to end. I really need gray wool or flannel pants. :\\ I have almost 30 pairs of pants, and the most versatile material/color combination is not among them.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice score! But don't you think that posting on this particular thread is a bit, er... cruel?!
devil.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
picked up 2 mabitex on sale today.
and got this amazing pratesi case (more on that in a few days).
img_2746.jpg

in my defense, the case was (mostly) purchased with gains from SF sales.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate New Yorkers for their access to cheap Mabi/Incotex pants?

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Nice score! But don't you think that posting on this particular thread is a bit, er... cruel?!
devil.gif

hopefully my weakness of the flesh will give others strength!

Originally Posted by acecow
Have I ever mentioned how much I hate New Yorkers for their access to cheap Mabi/Incotex pants?

You aren't missing much. they are on sale now, but I didn't see many particularly noteworthy fabrics. I considered copping a few extras to flip here, but just don't have the time/energy.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I mostly wear a cotton pant + shirt combo. I'm a fan of colors. Therefore, I could easily spend $300 on 10 pairs of different pants and I'd wear them all. Right now, I'm stuck with a low selection of boring colors for $60+, and there's never any gray slacks for some reason. So yeah, I'm still jealous.
laugh.gif
By the way, awesome case. Can't see much of it, but it sure looks like it will fit nicely into your style.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, during the Christmas break, I visited my parents. I left about 10 shirts and 3 pants and completely forgot to bring them back with me. But I am holding strong.

The NPC mentality is encroaching on other aspects as well. One of my pens ran out and instead of buying new pens, I decided to use some old pens in my drawers that had been there for a very long time. The ink is a bit viscous but whatever. My toilet bleach drop tablets ran out and I decided to scrub with ajax that I had laying around instead of buying more toilet bleach drops. Have not bought anything except food, gas, and rent for about 3 weeks now. No rented movies either. I'm starting to like this.

EDIT: Just noticed I have about 2 days of toilet paper left. Looks like I'll be going on campus until I get my $25 Target gift card from my credit card company in the mail.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ you have my respect, good sir.

In other news, all that mabitex available in the fs/t has me drooling.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I can't wait for the two months to end. I really need gray wool or flannel pants. :\\ I have almost 30 pairs of pants, and the most versatile material/color combination is not among them.

Quoted for juxtaposition. Theoretically, if you have 30 pairs of dress pants, you probably don't need a versatile pair of pants - unless the other 30 are all go to hell colours.
uhoh.gif

I am in also need of a versatile pair of blue wool dress pants, but I want something somewhere between a navy and royal blue with a mohair blend - I find standard navy too boring and too close to black for me.

Fortunately for my commitment to this club, those won't be available until the Spring/Summer collection hits stores around March (I'm told stores have extra delays in getting merchandise this year due to storms in Europe.) On several occasions I've tried to pickup these pants on B&S, and every single time they turned out to be much darker in person than in the pics, so I've learned my lesson about buying local - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Originally Posted by PTWilliams
I know I will fail when walgreens has 20% off on their creed cologne, but that hasn't happened yet, and they are out of stock on their green irish tweed.

Is cologne even on the no-no list for the NPC club? I thought it was clothing and accessories. I can see Creed being something SF'ers lust after, but I wouldn't have thought it would be on the list.

Also, even though I've never been to America, isn't wal-greens like a pharmacy chain, I'm surprised they would carry Creed cologne, I always thought that was the most expensive and exclusive cologne out there.

Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
hopefully my weakness of the flesh will give others strength!

I like your style - details on the watch you're wearing in this pic?
http://lessgentlemen.files.wordpress...2/img_2600.jpg

Originally Posted by sonlegoman
The NPC mentality is encroaching on other aspects as well. Have not bought anything except food, gas, and rent for about 3 weeks now. No rented movies either. I'm starting to like this.

Impressive. The only austerity I handle well are austerity brogues
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads