• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone go to Alkis to service an ETA movement? Seems like a waste of talent and money

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oyaji
View on mechanism appealed me a lot.
And engravable version is the most classic version, I think there is nothing to understand neither to explain.

fing02[1].gif
I understand it.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Why would anyone go to Alkis to service an ETA movement? Seems like a waste of talent and money

I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty sure any competent watch maker can service an ETA movement.

sterlingprice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vbuskirk
fing02[1].gif
I understand it.

Fair point, but OP did ask for the best...

OP, feel free to PM for a more reasonable possibility in the same neighborhood.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
It was a lot less than that when i bought it nine years ago. It's also a very rugged watch and one I don't mind knocking around - it has seen a lot and I tend to reach for that one the most on weekends.

Exactly...it's not a dress watch; it's robust and meant to be worn in a variety of conditions.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently added a brown strap to my Parnis. Rather like it.
P1010807.jpg
P1010814.jpg

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by .Kurtz.
Not specially suit friendly, but one of my favourites anyway:

30405266.jpg

Great watch, Kurtz. I often wear my Omega Seamaster and Christopher Ward Trident with my suits. May not be technically correct, but I think they both look great with anything, including suits.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys. I recently purchased a Timefactors speedbird III direct from the webstore. I received the watch and it is running about 40 seconds fast a day. Eddie (owner of time factors) told me to wait a few weeks and let the movement settle in. However, I have other watches with the ETA 2824-2 and they didn't need any time to "settle in." I plan on getting the movement regulated/adjusted, but I was wondering if maybe I should demand an exchange from Eddie. I know that the 2824 tends to run a bit fast out of the box, but 40 seconds seems excessive to me. I'd love to hear your opinions.

vbuskirk

Reaction score
I don't think it is going to settle enough to become a great time keeper, but it is very common for new movements to "settle". I would wait for a few weeks before doing anything rash.

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Also, even shipping can sometimes have an effect on older (i.e. broken-in) movements. If it were me, I would fully wind, and let the watch run down a few times. Each time before winding it back up again, I would slap the head of the watch against the soft, meaty part of my palm a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads