• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
This is the paradox. Welcome to the matrix.

You need to be familiar with the various manufacturer's lasts and how you fit in them. For instance, I wear a 10.5D on Alden's Barrie last, a 11D in most of the Allen Edmonds lasts, and a 11.5 in most of the Ferragamo lasts. If you don't try them on, you'll be buying blind. The brannock device can only go so far.

It seems to me then that I need to try shoes in the real world before trying to buy them online. Figure out what lasts work for me; these lasts could vary across bands by the same manufacturer. Damn!

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blamm
Question - is this sacrilege, stupid, or sound -

- I want to add elbow patches to an older sweater of mine with worn elbows
- I thought about leather or corduroy, but think a color compatible tweed could be fantastic
- saw a perfect Harris Tweed sportcoat at the local thrift shop for $10 - doesn't fit, but....

- can I cut patches from the coat for my sweater project?
- and what if anything else can I turn out with the fabric from the coat once I butcher it for the elbow patches? Tie, bow tie, pocket square, couch pillow...???

If the coat is in good condition and wearable, leave it for somebody who'll appreciate it as a coat. Please.

Originally Posted by PipersSon
First of all, thank you for your reply. I continue to learn new things here every day.

But I confess to being confused. If total length is irrelevant then why do most sellers here provide the data? Thus for shoes sales threads one has (for example) Insole length = 11 inches, outer length = 13 inches, width = 3.5 inches etc.

Obviously best would be to go buy in the 'real' world. But how would I then buy shoes online in a somewhat reliable manner? I mean I know (or think I know) I am an 8EE - so is that all the info I need or will get?

Sellers provide total length so you can compare to shoes you already have- for example, if I was looking at a longwing on B&S, and it had the same overall length as a penny loafer that fits me, I would know that it was too small, even if it was the right marked size. But if the length was a little bit longer than say, a captoe that fit pretty well, it would be a good bet.

It's not something you would want to use in comparison to your foot. You use it to compare to known shoes.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question - is this sacrilege, stupid, or sound -

- I want to add elbow patches to an older sweater of mine with worn elbows
- I thought about leather or corduroy, but think a color compatible tweed could be fantastic
- saw a perfect Harris Tweed sportcoat at the local thrift shop for $10 - doesn't fit, but....

- can I cut patches from the coat for my sweater project?

cptjeff has a point, but I like the idea. Do it and take pictures of the process.

kashmir

Reaction score
hey guys,

tried an OTR suit jacket today and had a dillema:

1. size L: perfect jacket length, waist, arm length, shoulder seams at the correct places, but too tight around the shoulder/ upper chest area (I'm thick at chest area but small shoulders)

2. size XL: of course, longer and more roomy than L, but upper chest/ shoulder definitely fits.

will getting XL and altering the suit length (!) and width be feasible? or is it too reckless? basically, the L suit jacket with a tad bigger upper torso will be perfect- is there some way that the L jacket can be enlarged through tailoring?

thanks!

rfranca

Reaction score
Shoe question:
When you polish your shoes, should you have a different brush for your brown and for your black shoes?

- I imagine some of the black shoe polish might be retained by the brush and could stain your brown shoes.
does that make sense or would it be OK to use the same brush?
I only have one brush so far (used only on the black shoes), but would only buy a second if it was absolutely necessary.
thanks

Blamm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rfranca
Shoe question:
When you polish your shoes, should you have a different brush for your brown and for your black shoes?

thanks

Not absolutely necessary - IMO not necessary at all.

- I have one nice brush, have used for all shined leather shoes for 20 years, no issue/no staining
- I use for black, brown, cordovan colors - note I don't have any light browns so not sure there
- if you use a dauber brush to apply polish - yes - use different brushes for brown and black

rfranca

Reaction score
Not absolutely necessary - IMO not necessary at all.

- I have one nice brush, have used for all shined leather shoes for 20 years, no issue/no staining
- I use for black, brown, cordovan colors - note I don't have any light browns so not sure there
- if you use a dauber brush to apply polish - yes - use different brushes for brown and black

ok,
thanks

Flea Spray

Reaction score
I bought two new cotton shirts (nothing special, just normal high street shirts) but the sleeves are two inches too long. They're OK if I'm just wearing the shirts, but if I put a suit jacket on, the entire cuffs end up sticking out under the jacket sleeves.

Any advice for having them shortened? Is it the kind of thing you'd trust a dry cleaner to do? I presume the stitching that attaches the cuffs to the sleeves is removed, then they cut two inches off the sleeve before stitching the cuffs back on? Is this usually done in a way (even in a dry cleaners) that leaves the new stitching looking just like the original so it doesn't look like it's been altered?

And what about the pointed slits that run up the arm from the cuffs? if they just cut two inches off, those slits will look oddly short, and the buttons along them will be left practically next to the cuffs, if not cut off too. I've attached photos of the sleeves.

noel_esq.

Reaction score
Dumb question: Is pit to pit measurement the same as a chest measurement? If not where do I measure to get the pit to pit measurement? thanks!

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noel_esq.
Dumb question: Is pit to pit measurement the same as a chest measurement? If not where do I measure to get the pit to pit measurement? thanks!

pit to pit measurement refers to the width between the armpits of a piece of garments. Chest measurement is more ambiguous, different people mean different things (actual chest measurement, pit to pit, tag size. etc.). Thus the pit to pit measurement is more consistent/accurate. When buying something online, the pit to pit measurement of what you want to buy is often provided. You should compare this to the pit to pit measurement of whatever you have in your wardrobe (of the same type) that fits you best.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is gold museum calf the same color as new gold museum calf from John Lobb Paris (JLP)?

indianshaft

Reaction score
Anyone know when purchasing a trenchcoat whether you buy the same size as your suit or a size up?

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score

Rankiz

Reaction score
This messenger back cost 250 USD new. This guy have had it for 1 year, but only used it for 4 months (since he got a bigger laptop, it wound't fit). I can manage to get it for 165 USD included shipping, should I go for it?
t7j4i9.jpg
Knomo Bungo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads