• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home wireless file sharing

trogdor

Reaction score
I feel like an idiot for having to ask this, but I can't figure out how to do something that must be pretty straightforward. StyleForum has always provided good answers to tech queries, so here goes...

I have both a desktop and a laptop connected to the same router (the former wired, the latter wireless). I have an external hard-drive connected to the desktop, and it contains all my music.

I want listen to that music, using my laptop, in other places around the house. So, how do I set this up?

I'm running XP on both machines, and the laptop is work-owned, so I can't change any of its setting (e.g., domain/workgroup).

But surely there must be a way (using folder sharing, IP addresses etc.) to share files between the machines, without having to install anything else, no? I don't need anything fancy -- I just want to be able to open my desktop's external HD, using my laptop.

spence

Reaction score
Create a share on the desktop and your laptop can probably see it.

trogdor

Reaction score
Thanks guys, but...

Sharing stuff on the desktop doesn't seem to make it visible on the laptop (possibly because the laptop is a work machine and set to be part of the domain there, whilst the desktop is part of a home workgroup). So it's not as straightforward as the "Network Neighbourhood" route.

I don't use iTunes--I prefer Foobar--but in any case, that would only work if the machines were in the same network neighbourhood, which they're not (see above).

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless WinXP has changed, you can't do this because of domain/workgroup incompatabilities. If you want a drive both machines can interact with, a network drive may be what you're looking for. There are premade options or you can always set up your own share using Linux/FreeBSD with the specifications you want. Somewhat steep learning curve to do the latter.

trogdor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Unless WinXP has changed, you can't do this because of domain/workgroup incompatabilities. If you want a drive both machines can interact with, a network drive may be what you're looking for. There are premade options or you can always set up your own share using Linux/FreeBSD with the specifications you want. Somewhat steep learning curve to do the latter.

I feared--but suspected--that this might be the case. Typical Windows (i.e., won't let me do something that ought to be fairly commonplace and straightforward), but as you say, the learning curve for other options might be a bit of a steep learning curve.

Maybe a VNC solution would work best? In which case, any recommendations?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads